General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2012-12-08 11:42 AM
in reply to: #3570990

New user
Champlin
Subject: RE: Introduce Yourself!

I have been a lurker here for a while but decided I should post as well. 

My name is Bruce and I live in Champlin.  My first tri was last year at Buffalo though I have done dus and running events off and off for a long time.  I did a total of 3 tris last year along with several 5K/10K events.  It is really in the last year I dedicated myself to getting into endurance sports more seriously.  My favorite race thus far has probably been MinneMan.  Nice size, lake, and park. 

I am currently recovering from artho hip surgery so on the bench for a bit.  Will be back in the pool in another week or so with a pull buoy and starting to ride and work an elliptical after that.  Running will have to wait until March or April.  The next race I am registered for is Olympic distance at LTFMPLS.  I am also doing Olympic distances in Cleveland and Maple Grove in August.  My first half iron distance will be in October in Tempe, AZ.  I am toying with the idea of doing the Sprint at MinneMan just because the venue is so nice and would get me some feel on how my rehabbing is coming.

I usually swim at either the Maple Grove or Plymouth Life Times and run and bike in and around Elm Creek Park.

My other athletic pursuit is alpine skiing and racing though not this year due to the surgery.

2012-12-08 7:02 PM
in reply to: #4513427

User image

Pro
Twin Cities

jlruhnke - 2012-11-28 11:41 AM Name - Josh
Years doing triathlon - 0 I have run a marathon, a bunch of 1/2s, rode a few centuries, and a double century so decided it is time to start swimming and do my first tri next year.
Favorite Tri Race - Haven't done one yet
Home - Saint Paul, close to Como Park
Other interesting Facts - I will run in any weather but am a severe weather weenie when it comes to my bike.

True Hipsters aren't weather weenies.

2012-12-14 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4527543

User image

Saint Paul, MN
mmrocker13 - 2012-12-08 7:02 PM

jlruhnke - 2012-11-28 11:41 AM Name - Josh
Years doing triathlon - 0 I have run a marathon, a bunch of 1/2s, rode a few centuries, and a double century so decided it is time to start swimming and do my first tri next year.
Favorite Tri Race - Haven't done one yet
Home - Saint Paul, close to Como Park
Other interesting Facts - I will run in any weather but am a severe weather weenie when it comes to my bike.

True Hipsters aren't weather weenies.

Well it is difficult to ride my fixed gear bike on a trainer in skinny jeans, so maybe I should get back to riding outside.

2012-12-14 9:54 PM
in reply to: #4535279

User image

Pro
Twin Cities
:p
2012-12-31 8:09 PM

User image

New user

Posted this on the outside but reposted here to get more local attention

Happy New Year

Hello all,

I have been following these forums for a while with questions I have had. The site has been great so I decided to join.

I have been running and mountain biking for a few years and more recently bought a road bike. I never thought I would be a roadie wearing spandex but now I find myself road riding more often that mountain biking. I have always wanted to TRI and now seems like a great time. I am registered for the Buffalo tri sprint distance on June 2 (Minnesota)This will be my first Triathlon.

I live near Elm Creek Park and that is where I mostly ride/run. Anywhere nearby to get some swimming in once the ice thaws? I also frequent lifetime to pool swim and lift weights. Swimming is my weakest point so I am looking to improve that way and become better.

Just wanted to get my first post and give a brief description of who I am.

2013-01-01 2:52 PM

User image

Regular
Okay, since it is a new year I should really start it off right by finally making a post here. I have been lurking for way too long.

Name - Steven (Yes, yet another Steve on this forum!)
Years in Triathlon: 11?
Favorite Race: Ironman Canada (Reason: It's one BIG bike loop.)
Home: Duluth

Other: I was born without an inkling of endurance ability what-so-ever. As a good friend kindly reminded me one day, "Remember when the whole team used to clap you in when we ran in football". Over time I chipped away at my offensive lineman physique, and I can now identify myself as being an endurance athlete.

I'm originally from Grand Rapids MN. I enjoy home brewing, homemade pizza, and really good coffee. I have the best training partner, my wife, who is ultimately responsible for shaping me into the person that I am today. Last but not least we have one child, a Siberian Husky named Lexie, who has never been overly impressed with the whole idea of being a "sled dog". "You expect me... to pull you... where?"

Personal Motivation: To stay in shape. To go a little further/faster than last time. To encourage and witness other people accomplish what they once believed to be impossible.

Happy New Year!

2013-01-19 6:11 PM
in reply to: #4527294

User image

New user

Minneapolis, Minnesota
brpib - 2012-12-08 11:42 AM

I have been a lurker here for a while but decided I should post as well. 

My name is Bruce and I live in Champlin.  My first tri was last year at Buffalo though I have done dus and running events off and off for a long time.  I did a total of 3 tris last year along with several 5K/10K events.  It is really in the last year I dedicated myself to getting into endurance sports more seriously.  My favorite race thus far has probably been MinneMan.  Nice size, lake, and park. 

I am currently recovering from artho hip surgery so on the bench for a bit.  Will be back in the pool in another week or so with a pull buoy and starting to ride and work an elliptical after that.  Running will have to wait until March or April.  The next race I am registered for is Olympic distance at LTFMPLS.  I am also doing Olympic distances in Cleveland and Maple Grove in August.  My first half iron distance will be in October in Tempe, AZ.  I am toying with the idea of doing the Sprint at MinneMan just because the venue is so nice and would get me some feel on how my rehabbing is coming.

I usually swim at either the Maple Grove or Plymouth Life Times and run and bike in and around Elm Creek Park.

My other athletic pursuit is alpine skiing and racing though not this year due to the surgery.

Hey Bruce, where in Champlin are you? My closest training buddy used to live in Champlin, and so we would hit Elm Creek all of the time. I'm in Champlin quite a bit, having a restaurant there.

2013-02-04 5:23 PM

User image

New user

West St. Paul

Name-Brandon

Years doing triathlon- Did my first last August

Home-West St Paul

Started cycling as a means of transportation.  Had a friend introduce the idea of triathlon, didn't think I'd be able to do it.  Gave it a shot and now I'm hooked.  I now am using triathlon as a way to keep focused on keeping sober.  I've been clean for over 8 months now, and own much of that to using training secession's to reduce stress, keep focused, and challenge myself.  

2013-02-10 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4608384

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hi everyone, welcome to the Minnesota forum. Lots of folks in the Elm Creek area!
2013-03-09 2:53 PM

User image

New user

Hi everyone!  Thought I would introduce myself, glad I stumbled on this site.  Lots of information for someone new to this sport.

Little about me:

Name - Phil
Years doing triathlon - 0.  Been focused on Marathons the last 2 years (Grandma's twice and TC once).  Did a duathlon last year though.  Road biked for cross training.  July 70.3 in year 0? sure, why not?

Favorite race:  Twin Cities Marathon for the crowds, Ragnar-Great River for the fun and challenge.
Home - St. Louis Park/Lake Calhoun.  The chain of lakes running paths and I know each other very, very well.

Other interesting Facts - I retain way, way too many movie quotes.  If I could turn that section of my brain to more constructive endeavors... watch out world.

2013-03-10 9:41 PM
in reply to: #4653189

New user

Brooklyn Park (Twin Cities), MN

Hey folks, 

I'm Jason from Brooklyn Park.  I have yet to compete in any tri's but I have been trying to prepare myself for starting this summer.  I do my swimming and running at the Target Center Lifetime Fitness in the mornings, and riding the trainer and trainer classes in the evenings/weekends.  I'm anxious for the warm weather so I can ride my bike from work downtown to my house each day, and take the trails over to Elm Creek too.

It sounds like there are a number of people who are in the same area of town. I don't make it to the Maple Grove Lifetime to do much working out, just swimming with my kids, but I could meet up there or Elm Creek if any group rides/runs ever come up.  Great to hear there is a lot of activity around here.

Good luck to everyone this season.

Jason

2013-03-12 9:58 AM
in reply to: #4654274

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Hello Phil and Jason! 
2013-06-03 5:54 PM
in reply to: brpib

User image

New user
Guess it's time to introduce myself.

My name is Dawn and I am brpib's other half. First tri ever was the Buffalo Sprint last year, and despite having to backstroke the swim course, and sucking it up on the run, I loved it, and was hooked. Signed up for six this year, but missed Buffalo thanks to illness. But I was one of the lucky people who enjoyed the 59F water temps at Blaine last month, so I figure I can handle just about anything after that.

I'm a short courser, and am signed up for Trinona, LT Minneapolis, Cleveland (my home town - worked on the 1989 Cleveland Triathlon), Maple Grove. Running the Women Rock and Espirit de She 10K's later in the summer. Oh, and made the cut for the Short and Fat race in September in Cable WI.

Love the bike, beginning to love the swim. The run? Not so much...

Years doing triathlon - 1
Favorite Tri Race - So far, LifeTime Minneapolis Sprint last July
Home - Champlin
Other interesting Facts: I like cheese.
2013-08-30 8:05 AM
in reply to: Slahmmer

User image

Hi everyone! Time to introduce myself.

I'm Jeff from the small town of Lindstrom (a little north-east of Forest Lake). I'm just getting started in the tri world and my first race is coming up in a couple of weeks (One Last Tri). I started running three weeks ago to get in shape and lose some weight. My knees weren't digging running as much as I wanted to, so I started biking. I liked the variety and started looking at triathlons. Now I'm hooked (even though I haven't even raced yet).

My goal for next year is to complete the Chisago Lakes HIM, which runs through my home town. It's a big goal since I'm coming off of being a couch potato. But I've got about 11 months to get ready.

Looking forward to getting to know you all through the forums here and hopefully seeing you at some races.
2013-08-30 8:31 AM
in reply to: jrensink78

User image

Good luck on your first tri Jeff. Take your time and have lots of fun. I did Chisago 1/2 iron for the first time this year. Got a tad cocky for the first 40 miles of the bike and paid for it from there on. Nice race if I had executed a little better.

Unsolicited advice: If you can afford to work with a trainer or at least get evaluated by a physical therapist, this is the time to do it. I gave up being a couch potato in 2009 (athough you'll still find me there when I get the chance). Unfortunately, I didn't know much about technique and didn't realize how seriously deficient my core strength was. Injuries later, I'm wiser. Still have a long way to go on my core, but I'm very aware of the need for strength/core training. Sermon complete. OK, I lied. There's more. As I age, I'm becoming a fan of run walking. Run for a while, walk, run, walk, etc. Especially when running long distances, it can save strength and actually have you go faster than if you ran. I'm no longer hung up on the macho need to run an entire race.

Shaun
2013-08-30 10:36 AM
in reply to: shaunjamison

User image

Thanks for the reply Shaun!

I'm looking to spend the early winter months trying to ensure I'm building proper technique. My old cross country coach is neighbors with my parents, so I'm hoping he can help me out with the running. I'm also looking around the cities for options to help with my swimming. I see some tri swimming classes at the YMCAs and there's the total immersion classes at a few YWCAs in Minneapolis. If anyone has suggestions on good technique classes, I'm all ears.

I'm really looking forward to that first tri in a few weeks though. Don't care if I'm last in my AG. Just looking to finish with a smile on my face. Plus it's on my B-Day. So it'll be a good start to the second half of my 30s.

2013-12-29 5:50 PM
in reply to: Slahmmer

Hi all! I am Kayla! This upcoming summer will be my 1st summer of triathlons, but I've been around triathlons since I was born. My mom just finished her 2nd Ironman, and my dad does triathlons as well. I just love the whole triathlon community, everyone is so nice and I love them all. I am 17 years old, we live in lakeville, Mn. I would love to make some new friends on here, and maybe some training partners of my speed!
2013-12-29 6:05 PM

User image

Regular
Apple Valley
Howdy Kayla!
Welcome to the forum.
Have you already registered for 2014 races?

My run and bike routes start from home (Apple Valley) but often head south towards Lakeville, but
There is a group of us that swims or bike Friday mornings at Lake Marion during the summer. On FB it's "lake Marion multisport" club.

~Karl
2014-01-08 11:22 PM
in reply to: scuff

Name - Steve
Years doing triathlon - 0- I started running last year to lose weight and ended up running 2 half marathons, a full marathon, and losing about 65 pounds.I've never done a Triathlon before, but I'm looking forward to my first this summer.
Favorite Tri Race - Planning on doing 2 more half marathons, and 2 full marathons, including the TC Ultra Loony Challenge. But doing a triathlon really interests me too. So I'm planning on the sprint distance at the Maple Grove Tri. I used to swim in that lake as a kid, so the idea of doing a triathlon there is really neat.

Home - Originally grew up in Brooklyn Park but currently live in the beautiful Land Between the Lakes of Albert Lea.

Other Interesting Facts- My family and I are also avid geocachers, so it's been very fun to incorporate running and biking into another activity we all enjoy as a family.

I'm interested in input from anyone who started running and then got into triathlons. I have a good running base. Over the winter I'm running 20-30 miles per week with a weekly 10 mile long run, and a 15 mile long run every 4 weeks. What were the easiest/ toughest areas when going to the tri- format instead of just running? I'm starting small this summer for a tri, and just doing a sprint. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks for any input or advice.
2014-01-10 6:16 AM
in reply to: spatten26.2

User image

Master
, Minnesota
Welcome Steve.

I too started out running marathong and added tri's to the mix so I can weigh in on the transition. The physical transition to tri's was pretty easy, but what I noticed the most is that to race a tri you need 3x the stuff! Attending a runnnig race is so simple....shoes, shorts and a shirt. You'll now need a bike, helmet, 2 x shoes, wetsuit, goggles, etc. It's just alot more stuff to manage.

Originally posted by spatten26.2

Name - Steve
Years doing triathlon - 0- I started running last year to lose weight and ended up running 2 half marathons, a full marathon, and losing about 65 pounds.I've never done a Triathlon before, but I'm looking forward to my first this summer.
Favorite Tri Race - Planning on doing 2 more half marathons, and 2 full marathons, including the TC Ultra Loony Challenge. But doing a triathlon really interests me too. So I'm planning on the sprint distance at the Maple Grove Tri. I used to swim in that lake as a kid, so the idea of doing a triathlon there is really neat.

Home - Originally grew up in Brooklyn Park but currently live in the beautiful Land Between the Lakes of Albert Lea.

Other Interesting Facts- My family and I are also avid geocachers, so it's been very fun to incorporate running and biking into another activity we all enjoy as a family.

I'm interested in input from anyone who started running and then got into triathlons. I have a good running base. Over the winter I'm running 20-30 miles per week with a weekly 10 mile long run, and a 15 mile long run every 4 weeks. What were the easiest/ toughest areas when going to the tri- format instead of just running? I'm starting small this summer for a tri, and just doing a sprint. We'll see where it goes from there. Thanks for any input or advice.
2014-01-15 1:45 PM
in reply to: scuff

User image

Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
I think I've introduced myself on this forum before but I've been away for a few years so I thought that I'd re-introduce myself. My last triathlon was in 2009 when I broke my hand during the "swim" of the Turtleman. This was the year that t-storms caused the swim to be canceled and all we did was run 20-30 yards through shallow water so that we could trip the timing mats. I stepped into a deep hole in the lake bottom and fell down on my closed fist and broke the 3rd metacarpal - but i still finished the race!

I tried to get back into the sport last year and did a couple duathlons, but my shoulder was giving me problems so I didn't get in any swimming and didn't race any triathlons. The shoulder is doing fine now and I've been getting to the pool (Brooklyn Center Community Center) once or twice a week. I plan to race 4 or 5 duathlons this year including nationals in St. Paul. Another "big" race on my schedule is the 30th annual Lake Kampeska Mini-Triathlon (I think it's now called the Hy-Vee Mini-Triathlon). The reason it is a "big" race is that my first triathlon ever was the 1st annual Lake Kampeska Mini-Triathlon in 1985 (yeah, I'm an old fart).

Hope to see you at the races!

2014-03-24 8:45 PM
in reply to: gonzobob

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
Can I please be an honorary member? I live just north of MN in Canada. However, the Ontario thread has only people from Toronto-ish area.

2014-03-25 9:34 AM
in reply to: So Fresh So Clean

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Originally posted by So Fresh So Clean Can I please be an honorary member? I live just north of MN in Canada. However, the Ontario thread has only people from Toronto-ish area.

NO! 

Just kidding

2014-03-25 8:50 PM
in reply to: BikerGrrrl

User image

Supersonicus Idioticus
Thunder Bay, ON
...and I thought MN'ers and WI'ers were the exception to the stereotype :P
2014-09-05 9:21 PM
in reply to: #4920044

New user

Rochester
Yeah, good idea. This will be a popular thread.

Name - Scott

Years doing Triathlon - I am brand new to the sport but love to run!

Favorite Tri : haven't done one yet but going to do one next spring.

Home - Rochester MN

Other interesting facts - I work for mayo clinic in orthopedic surgery. I like to run and have done 5k's and 10 k's so wanted to push myself some more with a tri. Before I started running I weighed 352 lbs and now I am down to 267 want to lose 50 more so I can be at my ideal weight. So excited to do this
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Introduce Yourself! Rss Feed  

of 11