World Triathlon Corporation
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 11h 37m 6s
Overall Rank = 325/2157
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 52/213
Pre-race routine:

Woke-up early and had some waffles a PB bagel coffee and a banana. walked around the hotel trying to get rid of some nerves. then grabbed my stuff and walked a block over to Tylers hotel so they could give me a ride to T1. After waiting on Tyler I had just enough time to get transition set-up, water bottles filled, and bike ready as they were kicking everyone out of transition. Then it was a mile walk to the swim start, in which by that time I had to stop and wait in line to use the port-a-pot. By the time I got to the swim start I had 15-20 minutes to drop of SN bags, get my wetsuit on and get in the water.
Event warmup:

By the time i walked the mile over to the swim start and put on the wetsuit, I was plenty warm. I did get in the water 8 minutes early tried to swim a little and then stretch while floating waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 1h 14m 33s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Overall, I am very pleased with swim. I had planned on swimming about 1:20. I kept my legs fresh by not kicking hard, just tried to stay smooth and collected.
What would you do differently?:

The only thing that I would probably change is try to start closer towards the front to hopefully avoid some of the "washing machine". I started dead center and swam with my head out of the water more than I wanted to.
Transition 1
  • 04m 31s
Comments:

It sure didn't seem like i spent that much time in there, but I guess time flies when your trying to catch your breath.

Everything went smooth, nothing that i would really change.
Bike
  • 5h 21m 58s
  • 112 miles
  • 20.87 mile/hr
Comments:

Everything was going smooth, me and another guy were passing each other back and forth until mile 40. There was an aid station that ended not 200 yards before a sharp right hand turn. I grabbed a water bottle on the fly and kept trucking. Just as i got to turn a lady yells at me "wet corner, slow down", by this time I'm already committed and if i hit my brakes, I'm sure to be digging asphalt out of my teeth. So I try to make a wide turn and about that time my front wheel just disappears out from underneath me and down I go sliding across the road into on-coming traffic. Needless to say it was a yard sale trying to pick-up all my stuff, but the good news is that I only got a few minor scrapes and it didn't hurt. So I collected all my stuff, took a little breather and got back on the bike and started back down the road. The special needs bag was awesome, a red bull and a couple of uncrustables. The sun never came out until about mile 100, then it got HOT and the wind picked up. My average went way down, that and my quads were beginning to get fatigued so I backed off the pace.

i really think that i could have pushed my pace a bit more, but overall i can't complain. Got off the bike feeling good.
Transition 2
  • 05m 11s
Run
  • 4h 50m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 06s  min/mile
Comments:

the first few miles were great, but then the fatigue and heat kicked in and everything was going down hill. I ran through the first few aid stations but then decided i would walk the stations and run between. the longer the race went on the longer I would walk the stations, until the last loop. I believe i walked the first station and then didnt walk again until i crossed the finish line. My last 2 miles were at an 8:15 pace, at that point I was running on pure adreneline.

Push the run, be more mentally prepared. When it's hot and tough, don't let my mind tell me it's ok to walk.
Post race
Warm down:

relaxed for a few minutes, then went and got a massage and then went to the food tent and chowed down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

just be mentally strong and now i know what an ironman takes. the next one should be much better

Event comments:

Great Race! The feeling of crossing the line and hearing Mike Reilly say your an ironman was one of the most exhilerating things that has happen to me.

Last updated: 2011-06-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:14:33 | 4224 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 68/213
Overall: 454/2157
Performance: Good
Suit: sleevless
Course: The course was very narrow. I was getting swam over or swimming over people the entire time. I may have got 400 meters total of swimming in rythem. Once you made the turn to swim in the channel it was utter chaos! The crowd support was awesome, but the chop from that many people swimming the that tight of any area was pretty bad.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:31
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:21:58 | 112 miles | 20.87 mile/hr
Age Group: 40/213
Overall: 231/2157
Wind: Some
Course: One loop course, had a little wind at our back on the way out and then in our face on the way back in. The last 10 miles or so the sun came out and the wind picked up.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:11
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:50:54 | 26.2 miles | 11m 06s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/213
Overall: 579/2157
Performance: Average
Course: 3 loop course all on concrete and very little shade. I really liked the 3 loop, being able to see friends and family on every loop.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes