General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Morgantown, West Virginia
United States
HFP Racing
74F / 23C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 10m 23s
Overall Rank = 27/83
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/8
Pre-race routine:

Well I'm going to start here: Since they CHANGED the start time, I got a little more time to sleep in this morning. CHANGE is the theme of the race.
Breakfast-cereal, rice krispy PB, water bottle, pedialyte/shower-shave (fogot to on Sat)/stretcccccccccch/caffeine/pack up and out the door early to get a good warm up. I'm nursing an injury to my hip/back area.
Event warmup:

Set up transition
Ran about 1.5 miles
Get upset when I realize my transition has been moved by someone who "needed more room"
Set up transition
Try to keep loose
StReTcH-more and more and more. didnt realize people were warming up in-water just beyond the course start/finish-so none for me
Water/caffeine/supplements/vitamins
Make my way to start grouping
Swim
  • 30m 5s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I thought the 2-loop was a waste of time. I thought I was fast in the water, time argues that.
What would you do differently?:

Go faster. Im a 1:30ish swimmer not a 2:00 swimmer. My course was tight....current?
Not swim this course in the future.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Zipper took longer than usual to move, thankfully we had a path to get it sorted out.

nothing--sub 1:00 I'm happy
Bike
  • 1h 40m 2s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 14.91 mile/hr
Comments:

By FAR the HILLIEST course I have EVER been on! Ive been on some HILLY training rides-they will be easy now.

Not race this race in the future.
Transition 2
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

So on the bike I realized that I didnt unpack my socks for my shoes. You'd think I would have remembered since I set up transition twice. 3x if you count the person who moved my stuff to make room for themselves. 1:08 considering I had to find my socks-I'll take it.

Not forget socks in bag
Run
  • 58m 13s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

By far my worst run. mile 1 was ok since I couldnt feel my legs after the bike. mile 2 was all twitch mile 3 was the beginning of a walkfest, once the standstill hamstring cramp released, then it was a galloway style last 3 miles. I tried hydrating immensely-coke/infinit/water--nothing stopped the twitching in my hamstring. I guess when you DESTROY your hips/glutes on teh bike when theyre already injured from race weekend before there isnt much you CAN do.

re-fit the bike
Not race OLY OLY on back to back weekends with 10 hr car trips post race
Not race the race in the future.

Post race
Warm down:

StReTcH
hydrate some more
eat some snacks
Spend time with family. Family who's never seen me race, friends who hav enever seen me race, and family that has. Alot of hugs ALL around.
This was the best part of the race for me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike
Injury
Rest

Event comments:

Very disappointed in the race this year.
Changed the date
Changed the start times the DAY BEFORE the race (no reason)
Changed the swim (for no reason-they said trail construction. However the trail was completed and even if it wasnt you do a point to point swim)
Laps are for a small lake or a pool
Changed the transition area WAY too SMALL
(Half Iron athletes ran THROUGH transition as part of the run COURSE)
Changed the bike (HILLIEST bike course-PERIOD)
Changed the run
1 vendor expo
post activites no existent (food laid out in bowls, at some points there was no water/infinit at the finish) awards are free to take off table, no ceremony/recognition. I would think that since they ran 5 races there would be something, guess not. HFP tried to use a multimonitor truck to display race times-waste of time.
No Wells Fargo represenative
No MGD64 (these were both primary sponsors)
I overheard that this was the last year of this race. Sad but I dont see many people signing up for a repeat.

Last updated: 2011-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:05 | 1640 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 15/83
Performance: Average
Suit: Orca S3 Full
Course: 2-LOOP rectangle in the river. Upstream twice/downstream twice counter-clockwise (all left turns) Start by jumping from dock and swim exit is onto nearby dock. CHANGE:last year was from the marina ONE-LOOP exit onto dock and up the hill to transition.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:40:02 | 24.85 miles | 14.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/8
Overall: 24/83
Performance: Bad
CHANGE: NOT the same course as last year. Landslides and bridges being out forced HFP to change the course--4 times. The last CHANGE occuring the monday before the race. Initial email had us on same course only up 6th street to avoid landslide Then bridge out had them sending us on grafton rd (I would have quit and not done the race had this been the case) Monday email-73 instead of Grafton rd. One gusty section by the PILOT gas station. Also--if you drove the course the night before-you noticed on race day the spray painted sections for turnarounds were painted over and moved. I learned that 50% of the people didnt turnaround at the right spots. tsk tsk tsk-HFP
Wind: None with gusts
Course: Out Mon blvd toward Mountaineer Mall. Flat start to an ALL HILLY course. You need two gears for this race-your HIGH SPEED gear (53/11) and your climbing gear (39/23) If you had a compact-lucky you. Those were the only 2 gears I used pretty much. I was doing 50 or I was doing 5mph. Thankfully the OLY is only a 1-loop course. I tweaked my hip/glute within the first mile so this ride was a "just complete it" ride. Being competitive was thrown out the window. I turned around at the cone with the cop. I also know of one other person who did this, after he turned around at the spray paint, he asked as I flew by then chased me to the cone and made the proper turnaround. nice job HFP. CHANGE: No aid station on the bike. If you did the Half there was ONE bottle exchange at the 2nd turnaround, and that was it. Elevation profile speaks enough for the course, and then its worse.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:58:13 | 06.21 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 45/83
Performance: Bad
CHANGE: Instead of running toward 73/Mountaineer Mall We run the rail trail toward marilla park/Sabraton area. OLY one loop-turnaround in Sabraton
Course: FLAT run along paved rail trail. Out and back. 3-4 aid stations. Shaded and flat flat flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2011-06-29 3:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountaineer Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed