General Discussion Race Reports! » North Country Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

North Country Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Hague, New York
United States
Silver Bay YMCA
70F / 21C
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 53m 12s
Overall Rank = 123/162
Age Group = Female 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 5:30 and took a while getting out the door. Jill and I stopped for coffee which took forever thanks to the slowpoke in front of us. We got there 5 minutes before registration closed and thanks to a very nice policeman, we were able to double park to run in and get our packets! Then we parked, set up transition, watched the Oly start and freaked out a bit.
Event warmup:

Getting my wetsuit on isn't enough?
Swim
  • 15m 3s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was actually pleased with my swim, especially since I haven't been in the pool much. I was actually 5 minutes faster than the last time I did this race. Part could be due to the wetsuit this time around, but I think the course was probably short this year.

The boat launch start was painful - the water in the launch chute was easily 10 degrees colder than the rest of the lake. My feet were numb when we started! The waves were a little rough going out, pushing me toward shore and away from the buoy. But I got that straightened out pretty quickly and the waves were awesome on the way back in!
What would you do differently?:

Well, probably get in the pool occasionally prior to the race.
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

I actually did ok getting the wetsuit off. I just couldn't get my darn shirt on! It kept getting all rolled up and tangled in back.

Zipper shirts!!
Bike
  • 59m 27s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 12.54 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I ran into problems. It POURED during the whole ride. POURED.

I started heading uphill and around mile 2 started to feel sick. Tried to focus on my breathing to make it stop. I think I was focusing so much on that and not on where my gears where that my chain popped off at mile 3. I had trouble getting it back on in the downpour. Finally got the chain on which was bad because I lost time, but good because my stomach felt much better with the break. I got going again and realized I couldn't get out of my middle ring in front. I was ok there for the uphill but couldn't take advantage of a lot of the downhill without my outer ring.

I also had to brake a lot on the downhill. I mentioned it was pouring, right? There were some sections of crappy roads, I wasn't clipped in and my feet were sliding off the pedals with every bump. I was afraid of slipping right off my bike on a really fast downhill section so I had to slow them down. Also, there were 4 or 5 signs in that area that said "Test brakes NOW", "Slow down NOW" and "Slow down NOW, Sharp turn ahead".

I am a scaredy cat rider and with the rain, I was doomed to have a slow ride.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

I think it was a pretty smooth T2, actually.
Run
  • 33m 54s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

Not my best run, but not my worst. I had a hard time putting my crappy ride out of my head at first. And I was worried about getting sick on the run, after how I felt in the beginning of the bike. I think I held back too much though because I felt great running to the finish line.

The rain had stopped for the run too, which was nice. It stayed nice and cloudy. But my shoes were soaked, probably weighing a ton. And squished with water the entire distance. Ugh.

As I say in every race report, RUN MORE!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with the kids, wolfing down pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Definitely lack of training. And the weather, but you can't help that.

Honestly, considering I wasn't able to train as much as I would have liked due to surgery this spring... and even though I know I can do better on this course... it was probably not too bad of a performance.

Event comments:

I saw the weirdest thing at the run turn point... there was NO ONE to make sure we actually went all the way around the cone! Maybe they were short on volunteers due to the crappy weather?

Last updated: 2011-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:03 | 820 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 37/162
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Basically out and back, but this year the start was in the boat launch instead of the beach.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:27 | 12.43 miles | 12.54 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/17
Overall: 128/162
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: 5 miles constant UPHILL, 4 miles straight DOWNHILL and then 3 miles rolling.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:33:54 | 03.11 miles | 10m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/17
Overall: 138/162
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back. Hills, and not the gentle, rolling kind.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-29 8:51 PM

User image

Master
Albany, NY
Subject: North Country Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2011-06-29 9:17 PM
in reply to: #3573890

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: North Country Triathlon - Sprint Distance
Good job hanging in there with the craptastic weather and the bike issues!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » North Country Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed