Ironman North America
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 00m
Overall Rank = /2500
Age Group = 38
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 0330 went down to lobby and got a small cup of Coffee then ate breakfast (banana, Gator aid, apple sauce 1 jar, and a banana). After breakfast I got all my stuff and left around 0500. Checked my gear in and just tried to relax in the park until it was time to get ready. There were so many people my wife and rest of the family could not find me and my Dad. So I drank my Gator aid pre-workout drink and got my gear on and headed down to the water.
Event warmup:

Jumped into the water and just tried to get used to the water. I can’t believe how many people did not try to get in the water prior to the start.
Swim
  • 1h 09m 45s
  • 3862 meters
  • 01m 49s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great swim. The first 300 yards was crazy but then we began to spread out and it got a little calmer. I lost my goggles due to someone’s stroke within the first 75 yards. So I just turned on my side and executed the best and fastest one arm combat stroke I could until I could get my goggles back on. Sighting was near impossible on the first half until we began to really spread out.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe find better land points to navigate off of. But really nothing I’m not a Kona qualifier and even though I could swim an hr or less I would be hard pressed to pull a good run.
Transition 1
  • 11m 51s
Comments:

I was so cold that I could barely get my hands to work. It took a little bit to get my arm warmers on and socks. It was quite comical to watch everyone with the same issues.

Cold is cold can't really change anything.
Bike
  • 6h 08m 51s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I stuck to my plan and stayed in my box all day. I took all the hills very easy just as my coach had instructed. The coolest thing (although I felt bad for them) was I took note of all the racers hammering the hills to see if I would see them again. I saw almost all of them on the second bike loop or passed them on the run.

Just get faster on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 06m 4s
Comments:

I came into the tent changed my socks and put my running shoes on and took a Power Bar Gell before heading out. I had to stop once to go to the bathroom before starting and give my wife a big kiss.

Nothing
Run
  • 5h 25m 31s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt great off the bike and was doing everything to slow down. I wanted to do a 10min pace the first 6 then 9:30 rest the way until I hit my line. I hit the wall at 13 as expected and new I need to take more nutrition to get back in the game. So I took a gell with 2x caffeine and started to get my energy up. When I started to get my rhythm back at mile 16 I started feeling a sharp pain in the lower part of my knee which I have never had before. At mile 18 I was trying to walk run because the pain was getting bad. As of now I think I had an ITB issue which I think was brought on by running up the hill at a side angle on the first loop and when I got back to the uneven surface it just brought it on with vengeances. So at that point I realized a few things one I could finish under 12 hrs or just at 12 hrs if I could get my ITB under control then the realization I was really going to be an IRONMAN! I began to rub my ITB as hard as I could, then would run for a little while. I repeated this process until mile 22. My knee did not hurt when I walked so I said to myself who cares your goal was 1330and even if I walk the rest I’ll come in before then. So I said screw it and began to walk and motivate those who looked in worse shape than me. I linked up with this cool Canadian guy who I wish I could remember his name to see if he finished. He was on his first lap while I was on my last. He was having kidney issues but seemed to be ok for the most part. I hope he finished it was his 6th Ironman so he was ok if he was pulled off the course but would not give up until he finished or was pulled off the course. Got to love the IRONMAN Spirit.

Maybe roll on the foam roller the night before and the morning of.

Work on improving my run speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Got the massage which was great!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My ITB/Knee

Event comments:

I would do this race again in a heartbeat!!!

Last updated: 2010-06-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:45 | 3862 meters | 01m 49s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2500
Performance: Good
Suit: Hurican 5
Course: Cold
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 56F / 13C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:51
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:08:51 | 112 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: There was about 5000 ft of climbing, basically rollers nothing to big. Great course!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:04
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:25:31 | 26.2 miles | 12m 25s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Hilly in parts. As your leaving town it’s a gradual uphill run then at around mile 5ish we had a 100ft climb. The hill was hard but not that bad. What makes it suck is while you’re going up your at an angle to the side and that sucks. The route was shaded a good part and had some open areas. There were lots of locals cheering us on all the way. I remember coming into town and seeing this college group partying and cheering us on. Each time I passed them more kids were in the yard cheering us on. They were defiantly feeling no pain and were very entertaining to watch. One even offered me a beer which I almost took.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-06-30 8:11 AM

User image

Veteran
Clarksvile
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene

2011-06-30 10:13 AM
in reply to: #3574349

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene
Congrats Ironman!
2011-06-30 11:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Strong Beach, CA
Nice job man!   We had pretty much identical swim times and looks like we were near each other most of the bike ( I had a faster T1, you had a faster bike by a few minutes).  Way to go!
2011-06-30 1:24 PM

User image

Master
Awesome!!! Way to hang in there with the ITB issues. Congratulations, Ironman!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Coeur d'Alene Rss Feed