General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sherwood, Wisconsin
United States
Midwest Sports Events
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 41m 28s
Overall Rank = 163/307
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 35/72
Pre-race routine:

up at 4:20. shower, coffee, powder sugar donuts, 1/2 cup apple juice, half bagel with peanut butter, banana. Finished eating at 5:45 for 7:15 start. Left hotel at 5:00. Arrived to park at 5:20. Body marked and organized transition by 5:50.
Event warmup:

Left 20 minutes to change and warm-up for each event. Run first at 5:50AM. Jogged 10 minutes with a few strides. Biked second at 6:10 for 10 minutes. Swam third at 6:30 for five minutes. Transition closed at 6:50.
Swim
  • 43m 20s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Navigation was great for me. I definitely didn't push the pace. Drafting was poor. When I got too close to someone, my form went bad and I started slowing down and losing navigation. On my own, I was smooth and moved along the right direction.
What would you do differently?:

I'd like to be able to draft because it would improve my time. Also, I think I can push the pace a little. I saved too much for the rest of the race.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

First time with wetsuit strippers. Went okay. Suit stuck on heals as per usual.

This race I wore my speedo under the wetsuit because I didn't want to get the bike shorts with the comfy pad sopping wet. I put the bike short on in transition. HOWEVER, the seem on the speedo cut into me so bad that I'm having a hard time moving comfortably even three days later. Maybe the square leg suit would be a better choice.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Pace felt really good. Probably went out too hard. Started fatiguing around mile 45-50.

advice from coach: Although your average HR on the bike was right where it should be, you clearly "destroyed" your legs in the first 65 minutes. Specifically, you simply MUST keep your HR below 150 for at least the first hour, even if this feel painfully slow. I know how incredibly difficult this is, so I usually try to memorize the bib number of all the competitors who pass me early during the bike and make sure to hunt those guys down during the second half of the run. Ideally, your HR file will be exactly the reverse of the one from last Saturday: 145 - 150 bpm in the first half and 150 - 155 bpm in the second half. Also, try to eat at least power bar per hour on the bike and consume as much Gatorade as you can tolerate.

see comments above.
Transition 2
  • 01m 47s
Run
  • 2h 16m 53s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I was doing okay at the start. I knew I was hurting but held steady. I walked most of the first big up hill, which is about 1/2 mile long, to keep the heart rate in check. Then started running 10 minutes with 1 minute walk recover. That was fine for about an hour but then the wheels came off the truck. I lacked the strength and energy to run much. I ran as often and as long as I could for the second half of the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Sat. Drank water, then coke, then chocolate shake. Stuck my feet in ice bath but too cold to get all the way in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Two things. First was lack of strength on the run. My legs just died. Second, I didn't get enough nutrition. My calculation is that I took in about 500 calories total including two bottles of gatorade and half a power bar on the first 2/3 of the bike. No calories after that. Only took in water on the run.

Last updated: 2011-04-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:20 | 2112 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 62/72
Overall: 263/307
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: Clockwise loop with two turns. Finished into the sun.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:37:06 | 56 miles | 21.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/72
Overall: 64/307
Performance: Good
average heart rate 150. max heart rate 162
Wind: Some
Course: loop. rolling terain. excellent surface.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 79
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:47
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:53 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/72
Overall: 205/307
Performance: Bad
average hr. 149 max hr. 159
Course: 95% trail run. Damp trails but firm. Some roots, rocks, grass.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-06-30 10:15 AM

User image

New user

Subject: Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Scheels High Cliff Triathlon - Half Ironman Rss Feed