General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next big purchase? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-01 10:49 AM

User image

Regular
San Diego
Subject: Next big purchase?

Yesterday, I ordered some cycling shoes and clipless pedals online.  I can't wait for them to get here so I can start testing them out.  I'm having to do all my triathlon purchases little by little, since I still have to pay rent, bills... (isn't being an adult loads of fun), so I'm wondering what my next big purchase should be.  I've narrowed it down to:

Trisuit or tri shorts/top: Since it's pretty much a necessity during an event (since who wants to bother with clothes changes).  I keep debating between a one piece, and a two piece.  One pieces seem a bit more aerodynamic, and are a bit cheaper then having to buy tri shorts and a tri top, but I'd probably get more use out of seperates, since I could wear them to the gym and not feel like a complete loser, or could mix and match for better utility.

Wetsuit: I know I'll definetly be wanting one of these for the race, and if I got one early enough in my training, I could go do open water swim practice on a regular basis (Only 15-20 miles from the beach).  Theoritically I have a spring suit that I could practice in for the time being, but since it's designed for surfing, not swimming, the range of motion isn't all that great, and I imagine I'd tire myself out really quickly. 

New saddle: I'm currently riding on the stock saddle that's on my bike, and while it's not so bad with a gel cushon on top, my "lady bits" and sit bones usually end up being rather sore.  My long rides are usually about an hour and I'd like to be able to go even longer.  I'm looking at the Planet Bike 5021 Women's ARS, since it seems to have gotten a lot of good reviews, and the price is certainly right. 

Am I missing something important off the list?  What else do you think I should purchase before my first tri?

2011-07-01 11:04 AM
in reply to: #3576807

User image

Regular
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: RE: Next big purchase?
Cycling shorts! I started out with tri shorts and now I only use them for brick workouts. The cycling shorts are much appreciated for long rides. Now is a great time to order online with so many sales.

I see the one piece trisuits for women pretty often on Bonktown. That'll be your best bet!
2011-07-01 11:11 AM

User image

Elite
Laguna Beach

Odd as it seems, I currently don't own a bike. I go from one review bike to the next and have my company bike, but I don't "own" one.

I like to have my own bike for change.

2011-07-01 11:13 AM

User image

Regular

Of the options you listed I think the next "BIG" purchase would be best to get a Wet Suit. Out of the ones given I think that this option gives you the best benefit all around, its versitle for allowing you to do races all over, it makes you faster in the water, and its just one of those purchases eventually we all need to make unless you are always racing in 78+ degree water.

As far as the others go, you can find a cheap pair of tri shorts and bike shorts online pretty much anywhere if you look and as far as 1 or 2 piece goes they will both be relatively teh same aero benefits and unless you are Crissie Wellington you will never know, so just go which feel better. I started with a one piece and switched to 2 because in longer races i found 2 pieces are just allow for more storage and some other small personal prefferences.

As far as a saddle goes, try a bike fit first that might be more of a big spend also it might not just be your seat. So that is my 2 cents.

2011-07-01 11:19 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Bike fit?

Make sure bike is set up in correct position. Saddle you mention I haven't ever heard of.  Buying a saddle from good shop that allows you to try different ones and return or exchange them will probably save you money than buying cheap one on line that doesn't work, try another and have similar experience....many folks will try 4-5 saddles instead of having a bike fit that would help more.

I'd go with tri shorts and top instead of one piece. If you need to go to the bathroom before during or after race, 1 piece suit is harder to get in and out of especially in a port a potty.

2011-07-01 11:33 AM

User image

Tri shorts and top. Especially if you're one size on the bottom and another size on top.

Multiple century rides, HIMs and an IM later I've come to the conclusion I have absolutely no use for biking shorts at all. Tri shorts are great for all of those.

Wetsuit - sign up for xterra's mailing list and wait for one of the 99% off sales (not really but I have seen 60%)

Saddle - Wait. You really need to get tougher on that one. It will seem backwards but the longer your rides get the harder your saddle tends to get to be comfortable. If you look at the distance cyclists their saddles look like a single thickness of leather and nothing else. Make sure it's not the gel pad making you uncomfortable before you change saddles.

2011-07-01 11:42 AM

User image

Denver

I just ordered a fluid cycleops trainer and Xterra Vortex 3 wetsuit about 5 minutes ago. I wanted to wait on the wetsuit, but now feel like I need to get a hand full of OWS in before I race and I might as well wear what I am going to use anyway. 

I actually went and got a custom printed tri top&shorts - it took a while to get it all done, but it wasn't that much more expensive than off the self tri suits so I figured it was worth it in the end. I've been using tri shorts and top to train in and felt a little goofy, but it is so much more comfortable I don't care in the least anymore. 

2011-07-01 11:43 AM

User image

Expert
Boise, ID

Race wheels for me. I'll PM you my address. I'll need them by Friday for an Oly I have on Saturday.

2011-07-01 12:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Trisuit - what distance racing do you intend to do?  I really like my one-piece.  If I were doing races where I might have to stop midway to use the port-a-potty, I'd go two piece.  Look for used on eBay and craigslist.  I got one for $35.

Wetsuit - you can get used from places that rent them.  In my case there's a tri store that rents them.  I got mine used for $200, which was probably overpriced, but it was supposedly a $550 suit.  You can get new ones for $99 online (but they're not as cool as mine, lol - jk).

2011-07-01 1:22 PM
in reply to: #3576841

User image

Extreme Veteran
Smyrnasty

Pucky - 2011-07-01 11:04 AM

I see the one piece trisuits for women pretty often on Bonktown. That'll be your best bet!

LOL

2011-07-01 3:39 PM

User image

Pro

Bonktown.  SierraTrading Post.  heck- I even picked up a tri shirt off RueLaLa for cheap.  There are deals to be had on basic tri-wear out there.  I got my Zoot Ultra Race suit for 75% off right from their web site last year.

Clothing deals can be found...

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Next big purchase? Rss Feed