General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Very excited to start Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-09-28 9:21 PM

Subject: Very excited to start
Hi, I'm brand new at this. I'm a 27 year old girl from Montreal.

I've been working out (cardio and weight training) regularly for the past 3-4 years but I need a new goal other than "looking good" and "be in shape" because these kind of goals are not good enough motivators anymore.

I plan to do my first triatlon next May or June (I live in Montreal so I can forget about competing before that). I just want to finish it... no goal about timing or anything else.

I downloaded a 10-week beginning traing program from the internet to get me to the shape needed in order to start the 18-week intermediate program that I plan on starting in January or February (to get me to the triathlon day).

So far everything is good. I run 3 times a week, bike 3 times a week and swim twice a week for a total of 6 days of training and 1 day off (swim and run are on the same days).

My main concern so far is about nutrition. Since I was mostly into fitness before, I was doing a diet with minimum carbs possible FOR ME (about 150 grams per day). Now with so much cardio, it simple isn't realistic. I was also eating a lot of protein. What should I be changing about my diet? Will I gain weight if I start eating more carbs? How many calories should I eat per day? I'm 5'8 and I currently weight 125 pounds.

Also, any major tip I need to know before it's too late? The kind of thing that any new beginner should know?

That's enough for now but I will certainly keep bothering you with more questions...lol

2003-09-29 8:02 AM
in reply to: #992

Subject: RE: Very excited to start
I myself am just starting and new to the tri thing. I have run a couple half marathons so running is not to tough for me, but I saw on your post that you downloaded a 10-week beginning training program to get you started. Did you download that from this website? If not can you let me know where you got that. I am just trying to get a training program down for the first 10 weeks. How long do you swim, bike and run? If you could help me out with some details that would be great.
Good Luck!!
2003-09-29 8:32 AM

Hi,

Actually, I downloaded it from this site: http://www.trinewbies.com/1TPbegOl.htm
I'm now at the beginning of the 3rd week and I'm seeing tremendous progress.

Check the other sections of the website also. I found a ton of information there to get me started.

Jenny
2003-09-29 9:03 AM

User image

Champion
Subject: welcome

next may or june....getting exited?

regarding nutrition.  what u need all depends on how long u train.  it appears to me that u don't need to lose weight...am i correct?  so if your doing an olympic or sprint as your first tri, i would keep the same diet for now - unless your feeling weak from lack of carbs.  u already know how your body responds to it.  BUT keep a log on your training and total calories taken in each day and most definitely, your weight and 'how u feel'.  Before too long u will have some good data to maybe add more carbs into your diet if your feeling w/out energy plus u can monitor the effect of those calories on your weight.  Keeping a log is the hard part - especially tracking calories, BUT if your serious, u will reap the benifits and totally be in touch with your body and training.

another word on nutrition and diet plans...some people can do an ironman on the atkins diet (~zero carbs) BUT others need carbs...u just have to find whats best for u.

some calorie calculators r at http://www.activeusa.com/calculators/index.cfm i put in your stats and to maintain at a 'very active' level of activity, u need ~2590 cal per day.  THIS IS GENERAL and based on averages - who knows how 'accurate' it is but it may give u an idea.  to be more exact u need to find your 'resting metabolism' rate and then add in all the activities u do during the day...gets time consuming.

JUST listen to your body...u will be surprised how well this works.

good luck and...oh yeah...u want major last minute tip?  do a few open water swims.

2003-09-29 9:37 AM
in reply to: #995

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I already went to the site and printed it out. I am starting tonight!!
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Very excited to start Rss Feed