80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 34m 59s
Overall Rank = 135/753
Age Group = 40-44F
Age Group Rank = 2/56
Pre-race routine:

**WARNING** TMI!!

So I've been battling a sinus infection and ear infection. I've been on an antibiotic that has reeked havoc on my intestinal system. I had terrible diarhea this morning. Took two imodium tablets and hoped I would be o.k.
Event warmup:

Jogged around the High School. Took a hammer gel half hour before race.
Run
  • 34m 59s
  • 4.5 miles
  • 07m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out too fast to begin with. My first mile was around 7:15 pace. I slowed down and a half mile later that's when intestinal distress came upon me!! Damn antibiotic!!!! I slowed down even more to concentrate on not crapping myself. The rest of my run was quite miserable as it was all I could think about. I managed to finish and head to the port a potty ASAP! Remarkably I did better than I thought. I didn't get a PR which is what I wanted. I was hoping to get sub 34 minutes. But it was not meant to be. I did manage to pull 34:59 which placed me 2nd in my age group. I'll take that.
What would you do differently?:

Not sure. I had to take my antibiotic. Unfortunately, I had (have) an unpleasant side effect from it. I guess if I had a crystal ball and knew this was going to happen, I wouldn't have run today.
Post race
Warm down:

Had post race food of banana and muffin. Saw the kids fun run which is so cute. Waited to receive an AG award which was another water bottle. A pretty nice one though. :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The constant dread of crapping myself during the race!!!!!

Event comments:

This is really a fun race. I wish I could have enjoyed it this time. The event is family oriented race with people dressed up in patriotic costumes. I love doing this one every year. Perhaps next year...

Last updated: 2011-06-30 12:00 AM
Running
00:34:59 | 04.5 miles | 07m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/56
Overall: 135/753
Performance: Below average
Course: Course started at the local high school. Ran around the town and back to the high school.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-02 3:47 PM

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
Subject: Carmel Fest Freedom Run

2011-07-02 4:54 PM
in reply to: #3578421

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Carmel Fest Freedom Run

BLECH you poor thing but Awesome Speedy Fast even with the serious difficulties. Ugh, I've been there, and there's nothing worse than trying to hold it in ...

Super congrats on hanging in there and grabbing a podium spot.

I gotta ask WHICH ANTIBIOTIC? There's a group of them that can cause serious soft-tissue damage ... so if it's in that group, be very, very careful. (And it is not an uncommon side effect!)

2011-07-02 7:31 PM
in reply to: #3578473

Veteran
Hoosier heartland
TriAya - 2011-07-02 4:54 PM

BLECH you poor thing but Awesome Speedy Fast even with the serious difficulties. Ugh, I've been there, and there's nothing worse than trying to hold it in ...

I gotta ask WHICH ANTIBIOTIC? There's a group of them that can cause serious soft-tissue damage ... so if it's in that group, be very, very careful. (And it is not an uncommon side effect!)

Thanks Yanti!  The antibiotic is called Avelox.  It's not one I'm familiar with.  My doctor gave them to me as free samples.  Avelox is specific for sinusitis, some type of bacterial pneumonia, and some types of skin infection.  I am getting better, but what a nasty side effect...yuck.

2011-07-02 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Pueblo, CO
Great job on the race - and wven better considering the issues!!
2011-07-04 2:34 PM
in reply to: #3578586

User image

Melon Presser
cggale - 2011-07-03 9:31 AM
TriAya - 2011-07-02 4:54 PM

Thanks Yanti!  The antibiotic is called Avelox.  It's not one I'm familiar with.  My doctor gave them to me as free samples.  Avelox is specific for sinusitis, some type of bacterial pneumonia, and some types of skin infection.  I am getting better, but what a nasty side effect...yuck.

Unfortunately it is a fluoroquinolone, which is exactly that group (I feared that).

Just be EXTREMELY careful. Do NOT do any higher-intensity or any strength training that will stress your calves (common site of injury although shoulder can be as well).

I know you're coming up on your HIM, but you're practically in taper time, so take it as easy as you can. Let me see if I can find info/threads on this for you to read ...

2011-07-05 2:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin
Congrats Claire!  Sorry, but the whole report did make me laugh.

2011-07-06 2:19 PM

User image

Master
Vista, CA
Claire-- Way to tough it out. Those were difficult circumstances and you powered through. Nice going!
2011-08-04 8:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Wallingford, CT
How are you doing (physically) with the fluoroquinolones? Any aches or pains?

I recently went through a lot of grief because of them.... Went on Avelox in early April for 10 days due to a sinus/ear infection. Soon after the 10 days of pills and not working out I was unable to run or bike without horrible knee pain. Gave the legs a rest and figured I'd stick to upper body workouts; then my shoulder injury from 2 years ago started to bother me. Just about every joint in my body ached, I could barely walk.... seriously.

Long story short, my Doctor said I was fine and to keep popping pills like Alleve/Tylenol (these make the stomach worse). I got tested for Lyme and all blood tests were normal. My Nutritionist figured out that I now have "LGS" (Leaky Gut Syndrome). The Avelox ruined my stomach lining and this causes the aches and pains because food particles get through the stomach lining and go directly into my blood stream. I have been eating basically gluten-free and veggies, a little protein from very lean meat. Its been 2 months eating this way and taking amino-acids for my stomach and I am a lot better now, but I still have pains in my legs and I hope I didn't strain/pull anything. I can't run more than 2 miles (slowly adding about 10% a week) and biking is up to about 10 miles. I am planning on getting an MRI of my legs eventually so we can see what is going on in there.

Your post was from 7/2 so I am hoping you feel okay. It took about a month after taking the pills before I noticed anything. Some people that I have met online that have similar/worse issues did not get any side-effects until months after, and some cannot lift their arms or barely can walk. If you are having any aches or pains, please be careful and if you need any info just ask me!

Edited by Boosted333 2011-08-04 8:45 AM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carmel Fest Freedom Run Rss Feed