Runner's High Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 13s
Overall Rank = 554/1073
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 31/55
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5:50 Race was at 7:30 - We planned a bike ride post race so I had to load up ice water in a cooler and the bikes, equipment etc. Ate a banana on the road and 2 of a 6 pack of peanut butter crackers. Drank some coffee and water.

Event warmup:

Before the run I ran about a half a mile around the parking lot to warm my legs up. I was done with my warm up about 10 mins before the race.
Run
  • 30m 13s
  • 3.18 miles
  • 09m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

I started out with my wife but she was having knee problems and I had told her I was going to see what I could do today. I started out too fast and ran as I sometimes drive (trying to pass others till I have clear road ahead).

I managed to keep, and in fact increase, my pace in the second mile, but I was paying for it by the end when I got to the second water stop I was wanting to walk, and used it as an exuse to do so while dumping water on my head and gulping some of the warm water.

I really thought I was going to have to walk before the end so I slowed my pace for the last mile. Once we turned the final corner and were less than .1 to go I started to pick up the pace again, but if I'd have done a full on sprint I wouldn't have been able to maintain it even for that short distance.
What would you do differently?:

If I were to do this particular race again I would seriously consider bringing a bottle of water on the course with me. Staying cool in this heat is crucial, and they didn't have cold water.

I need to find someway to maintain the sweat out of my eyes, I just got a halo and this was my first run with it. Even though it helped I still got sweat in my eyes durring the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Was handed some water (still warm) by a volunteer and then walked under some shower heads they had set up. Once my wife finished her run we went back to the jeep to get some colder water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Pacing. This was PR for me and quite a bit faster than my 5k runs after my sprints. On training runs I've never run this fast so I'm not sure how to pace myself. Also, having done my longest run to date (9 miles) 2 days earlier probably didn't help.

Last updated: 2011-07-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:13 | 03.18 miles | 09m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/55
Overall: 554/1073
Performance: Good
Heart RateAvg HR: 156 bpm Max HR: 167 bpm 1 00:09:25 1.00 09:25 2 00:09:17 1.00 09:17 3 00:10:03 1.00 10:02 4 00:01:34 0.18 08:38
Course: Flat course around the streets north of post oak on the west side of 610, starting in a shopping center. Roads were ok, but there was some places with cracks etc that could be risky. The course was very crowded at first with little room to manuver. The first water stop at mile 1 was swamped and it would have cost me to try and stop. The second was better, but the water was too warm to be refreshing. There was a girl with a hose there though. After I was finished I saw some large trucks trying to pull onto, or driving on the course. They needed to better control the traffic.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes