Autism Speaks
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 40m 38s
Overall Rank = 1081/1247
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 61/72
Pre-race routine:

Got up, got dressed, drove there. Stopped for a latte. :) Coming off bashed foot and weekend plague, happy to be conscious.
Event warmup:

Just under 2 weeks ago, bashed the daylights out of my left foot. Much to my delight, the pain disappeared on Thursday. Just in time for me to be sick for the rest of the weekend.

Got my number, went back to the car to change into my running shoes, put on left shoe and....Owww. Why does that hurt? It shouldn't hurt. IT WAS FINE THIS MORNING. Gingerly walked over to the warmup area and did a couple test jogs - apparently when I run I don't push off with my two outer left toes, so all was well. Or I was favoring it and would end up with a twisted knee and a torqued hip, but whatever.

Passed on the group warmup being lead by a very enthusiastic gentleman and couldn't help but look around and think, "You know, a bloody mary bar would be a perfect addition to this race..."

Had a bit of a sinking feeling at the race start as it was so humid that I was sweating even though we weren't even moving yet.
Run
  • 40m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Given the circumstances, I had set my run/walk intervals at 1:30/2:30. Enough walking to deal with the fact that I've been out of the saddle for a while and enough running to keep me from being my usual idiot self and pushing too hard and blowing up. Plan your race, race your plan.

1st mile went very well. Stuck to the intervals with no problems, felt great when we hit the mile marker and listened to the voice in my head screaming "RACE YOUR PLAN!" as I went into mile 2.

Mile 2 went just as well, but I could feel myself getting heated up. The temps were coming up, the humidity didn't seem to be going down and there was no breeze. The water station isn't until just before the end of the second mile - a little too late for me. Not because I was thirsty - but because I was just too hot. Two cups, two sips and the rest went over my head and down my shirt. Un-sexiest wet t-shirt contest ever. Between this and the snot rockets, if there isn't a rash of Missed Connections for #483, I am giving up on men in this town once and for all.

3rd mile was where the wheels came off. Overheated AND the sun came out! When the run intervals came around, just concentrated on short strides and quick turnover and thanked the heavens for the walk intervals. Really wished more people had put out sprinklers. Took my time going through the two that were on in that last mile. :)

Finally hit the turn to go to the finish. Love that turn. Nice and flat and then downhill. Somehow managed to pick up the pace in the last run interval - I think it's easier when you know you can just fall over at the end. :)
What would you do differently?:

Not bashed my foot or been sick so I could have gotten some training in over the past 2 weeks. If I could have made the humidity lower, I would have done that, too.

Post race
Warm down:

My usual at this race - get bottle of water and dump ice down my shirt.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Coming off being sick, the humidity, and oh, yes, the fact that I am utterly out of shape.

Last updated: 2011-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:39 | 03.11 miles | 13m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/1247
Performance: Average
1 - 12:26 2 - 12:25 3 - 14:27 .1- 10:49
Course: Some hills, none terrible, just more painful towards the end.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-04 1:33 PM

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: Autism Speaks 5K

2011-07-20 3:29 PM
in reply to: #3579993

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Subject: RE: Autism Speaks 5K

Nice job running on g post bashed foot.  Thanks fo the RR.  Always love your race reports.  It sthe way I want to race always taking it all in. 

-}

Edited by dexter 2011-07-20 3:30 PM
2011-07-20 5:20 PM
in reply to: #3606844

User image

Elite
DC Metro, slowly working my way to NC
Subject: RE: Autism Speaks 5K
Thanks - when speed is no issue, it's much easier to just enjoy the run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Autism Speaks 5K Rss Feed