General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2011-07-06 3:45 PM
in reply to: #3583618

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas
JM2 - 2011-07-06 4:36 PM

Scout7 - 2011-07-06 2:23 PM
JM2 - 2011-07-06 3:11 PM So, since we're talking sugar, is it true that staying away from "refined" sugar (whatever that means) is the thing to do?
Why?

I don't know why, that's what I'm asking, why do some nutritionists say that sugar in it's raw form is "better" than refined.

For the same reason that some people claim various foot strikes are better for you, or that running barefoot is better for you.

Some people feel that any refinement of food is unhealthy. Maybe it's a belief that companies are not to be trusted, maybe it's a belief that nutrients are sucked out, I don't know.

I would not worry about whether you use refined sugar or raw sugar. I would focus more on how much you use, and even then I wouldn't put a whole lot of emphasis on it unless you have a very specific reason to do so.

2011-07-06 3:46 PM
in reply to: #3583618

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
JM2 - 2011-07-06 1:36 PM

Scout7 - 2011-07-06 2:23 PM
JM2 - 2011-07-06 3:11 PM So, since we're talking sugar, is it true that staying away from "refined" sugar (whatever that means) is the thing to do?
Why?

I don't know why, that's what I'm asking, why do some nutritionists say that sugar in it's raw form is "better" than refined.

Because they're paid to?

ETA: Sorry, should have been a little more explanative. ALL sugar that you can buy in the store is refined in some way. It's illegal to sell completely unrefined sugar.

Table sugar (sucrose) is a combination of a fructose (fruit sugar) molecule and a glucose molecule. Lactose is a combination of glucose and galactose. Some people don't make the enzyme to break this down, hence lactose intolerant.

Basically, sugar cane, sugar beets, etc are washed/chopped/shredded/pulped and added to water. Lime is added to control pH and prevent decay, and then it is strained out and the syrup is allowed to dry/crystallize. At this point, the mixture is centrifuged to further separate everything.

The liquid that is separated out is molasses. At this point, you now have brownish crystals, aka "raw" sugar. This can then be bleached white, and a few additives such as phosphoric acid and a couple others are used to further reduce impurities.

That gives you white sugar and "raw" sugar. Brown sugar is simply white sugar that has had some (3% - 6%) molasses added back in.

Honey is nectar from flowers that bees bring to the hive and evaporate to form a syrup. That syrup is about 40% fructose, 30% glucose, so not that much different than table sugar.

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2011-07-06 3:56 PM
2011-07-06 4:01 PM
in reply to: #3580705

Alright, so the general consensus in all this discussion seems to be:

1.  To be fairly "healthful", lean toward foods that are consumed in their 

"natural" state or close to it. 

2.  There are plenty of creative ways to mix it up with fruits/vegetables/lean meats, etc. so

getting "burnt out" on healthier eating shouldn't be an issue.

3.  Pasta and grains aren't evil, maybe lean toward more whole wheat products as the GI tends

to be lower.

4.  Don't obsess..........beer, ice cream, sbarro in the mall, etc. is cool sometimes.

2011-07-06 4:05 PM
in reply to: #3583648

User image

Runner
The only thing I would say is not to worry about Glycemic Index. The GI doesn't really make something healthy or not, unless you are a diabetic or have a specific reason to monitor and control your blood sugar levels.
2011-07-06 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3583652

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.

Scout7 - 2011-07-06 2:05 PM The only thing I would say is not to worry about Glycemic Index. The GI doesn't really make something healthy or not, unless you are a diabetic or have a specific reason to monitor and control your blood sugar levels.

Well, just to be contentious, there is some debate on the GI of foods and their relationship to fat loss/gain because of the insulin spikes, but like everything, it's pretty much unresolved.

John

2011-07-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: #3583655

User image

Runner
tkd.teacher - 2011-07-06 5:09 PM

Scout7 - 2011-07-06 2:05 PM The only thing I would say is not to worry about Glycemic Index. The GI doesn't really make something healthy or not, unless you are a diabetic or have a specific reason to monitor and control your blood sugar levels.

Well, just to be contentious, there is some debate on the GI of foods and their relationship to fat loss/gain because of the insulin spikes, but like everything, it's pretty much unresolved.

John

Oh, I'm sure there is. But I would say that the GI number is not a good reason to avoid a specific food completely, unless there's a medical reason for it. I would say the quantity is more important at that point.

2011-07-06 4:20 PM
in reply to: #3583664

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Scout7 - 2011-07-06 2:12 PM
tkd.teacher - 2011-07-06 5:09 PM

John

Oh, I'm sure there is. But I would say that the GI number is not a good reason to avoid a specific food completely, unless there's a medical reason for it. I would say the quantity is more important at that point.

Oh, agreed. I'm just feeling argumentative today. :p

John

2011-07-06 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3583398

User image

Master
Gold Coast
bzgl40 - 2011-07-07 4:44 AM
bufordt - 2011-07-06 10:55 AM
rh8463 - 2011-07-05 8:02 PM
bzgl40 - 2011-07-06 8:34 AM
aquagirl - 2011-07-05 3:22 PM

I like ice cream.

Just sayin........

yum.  making ice cream tonight.  Very excited about that.  Yeah, I know, I can go to the store and buy some.  But now I can have ice cream in 20 minutes without ever leaving the house.  AWESOME

In 20 minutes?! I make my own too but make the custard, leave it overnight for good flavour, then churn, then freeze overnight to freeze harder. Is your 20 min ice cream soft serve? Also, would love to share good recipes

In my family we would call what you're making Frozen Custard. Ice Cream shouldn't have eggs in it. Probably anything that isn't hardened in the freezer could be considered soft serve. I often intend to harden my ice cream but somehow it never makes it to the freezer. I love the 6 3s Ice Cream recipe http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/six-threes-ice-cream/detail.aspxAnd I'm a big believer in the white mountain ice cream makers. They have a dasher where the inside turns one way and the outside turns the other. http://www.whitemountainproducts.com/Default.aspx

What I made last night was Banana Sorbet, so technically not ice cream.  For sure some stuff has to sit and let cool but this time of the year it's all about the fresh fruit sorbet's.  Anyways, this is the best thing to do with banana's that have gone ripe IMO. 

4 medium ripe banana's
1 cup water
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp lime juice

blend that all up in a blender of food processor until smooth.  Pour in ice cream maker and drool until done.  You can add a spoonful or so of dark rum if so desired but I can't validate if that is yummy or not.  Give me a week on that one and I'll get back to you as I have no dark rum at the moment.

Thanks for the recipes

We are in the middle of winter here so definitely not ice cream season and also suffering from banana shortages after the floods earlier this year. I will file these for future use though, most definitely!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition ........Non "processed" food ideas Rss Feed  

of 5