General Discussion Race Reports! » Red, White, and Boom! Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Red, White, and Boom! Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Minneapolis, Minnesota
United States
Twin Cities in Motion
72F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 21m 46s
Overall Rank = 606/944
Age Group = F25-29
Age Group Rank = 124/189
Pre-race routine:

Up at like 4:30 after a not great sleep (neighbors were shooting off fireworks, had to pee in the middle of the night, heard weird noises...). Breakfast with Matt (nice, but weird!) - regular oatmeal with pb, brown sugar, and some cinnamon. A little bit of issues with the poo (the one at home was tough, and then I had to go again once we got there and there were long lines, of course)
Event warmup:

Walk from car to start, wait in porta-john line.
Run
  • 2h 21m 46s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran with a geology prof. at the U for miles ~2-8-ish (Harvey), and he helped me to keep those first several miles slow so I still had enough in me to finish strong, with a kick. It was hot an sunny, so keeping cool was tough and it was difficult to get in enough fluids at the aid station. I downed a bottle of water at the finish with no problem. Nutrition during: took just water at the first aid station (there was no powerade - mile 2.5), two shot bloks and some water at the second aid station (mile 5ish), powerade (and water?) at mile 7.5, 2 more shot bloks before mile 10 (maybe didn't need these?), then a bunch of water and a little powerade at mile 11, I guess. "Overall" ranks are among women, and AG ranks are women 25-29. Splits:
1: 10:53
2: 10:57
3 & 4: 22:19 (think there was an aid station in there, too)
5: 11:31
6: 11:20
7: 11:50 (hill?)
8: 10:52 (parted ways with Harvey)
9: 10:19 (oops, a bit too fast maybe)
10: 11:01
11: 10:03 (started to pick up the pace)
12: 10:22
13: 9:23 (maybe I should have picked it up sooner?)
13.1: 0:53.13
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not start out *quite* so slowly? Maybe next time I won't need to be quite so conservative. I should probably also calculate out how much nutrition I need. I might have taken too much and wasted some time?
Post race
Warm down:

Stood around eating popsicles and hot dogs and drinking chocolate milk in the shade with Matt and David, who came out to see us finish. Stretched and foam rolled a bit when I got home (after laying on the floor with Matt in front of the AC to cool off)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

training, confidence

Event comments:

I'm glad I practiced running hills for the "mountain" in Deming Heights Park. It was early, so they probably couldn't really turn the sound system up, but I could only vaguely hear the very end of the National Anthem. Couldn't hear any announcements at all. I think that, with the heat, it would have been nice to have the aid stations a little closer together (and therefore had one or two more).

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-04 12:00 AM
Running
02:21:46 | 13.1 miles | 10m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 124/189
Overall: 606/944
Performance: Good
Course: Winding loop through NE Minneapolis, starting on St. Anthony Main (cobblestones) and finishing by crossing the Stone Arch Bridge. Mostly shaded, though there were some pretty sunny spots.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes