Broome County Parks
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 5s
Overall Rank = 5/157
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/9
Pre-race routine:

woke up and had some coffee, oatmeal and a yogurt. drove up to whiskey point and picked up my race pack and got the bike into transition. had a good bike warmup and got back to discover that someone had taken my spot in the rack in transition...."you're going to have to move." "oh I didn't think anyone was here." "well see this wetsuit, sneakers, race number, transition bag and water right here, with the #10 on them? Those would be mine." "oh." Then ran for a bit doing my track workout warmup routine. Joined the club for the pre race pic and threw the wetsuit on and got warmed up.
Swim
  • 13m 7s
  • 800 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

started wide right up front along a small buoy line. got to the water and started to dolphin dive. on my second dive my right shin hit cinderblocks/rocks that were under the water...ouch. took my breath away.why those rocks were there...who knows. Sucked it up and got back to the swim.Little to no contact. My plan was to go out at the start, settle in then negative split the back end. Worked pretty well, I was one second slower here than last year.
What would you do differently?:

I think I could have swum a couple more yards before standing up. Did not move out of the water very quickly...immediately begin to take the wetsuit top off. Not necessarily a bad thing but don't think I was moving as fast as I could have. Lost a draft in the last 200 yards or so. Did not plan my sighting markers for the finish either. Two big trees I'll look for next time.
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

one second faster here than last year. practiced and it paid off.

could be a bit quicker getting the suit off the heels. fifth fastest.
Bike
  • 37m 5s
  • 12 miles
  • 19.42 mile/hr
Comments:

a little disappointed with the bike...six seconds faster than last year but expected a bit more. did not feel very well on the first half of this bike. planned to go out conservatively then pick it up. Stuck to that plan, hardly got into the little ring much despite the hills. Just lacking a little snap.Ran with 14 ounces or so of gatorade. No cramping issues on bike or run.

of course we say more time on the bike! I think more interval type bursting accelerations are called for as well. On the final big climb I would sit and grind for a 20 count then stand and accelerate for a ten count. Better here than last year but need to come out of the saddle a bit more.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

three secs slower here than last year...came back into transition and someone on the other side of the rack had launched there wetsuit into my wheel slot....had to bend down and clear it before my rack. Out of my control.running out I had to scream at two lifeguards who were manning a water station...they were sitting there chatting as I approached and were oblivious to the fact that I might need a cup to drink or dump on my head. Thanks guys....you are getting paid to be here!

Not much, pretty pleased here. Fourth fastest.
Run
  • 21m 20s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

felt better going out this year than last...and my 25 second improvement showed some good miles this spring and early summer paid off. tried to keep a high cadence and drive with the right side.once again it seemed the lifeguards tasked with handing out water on top of the dam were asleep as I came up and as I ran back...it's not that hard guys. look around..if someone is coming you offer them a cup or two. having volunteered at many water stations over the years i have seen six year olds do better than those people.You need h20 on the head and body as you run across the top of the damn...no shade at all. This race starts late-at 9:30...so at 10:30 on July 2nd you are booking and baking in the sun! only spots for water are coming out of transition and at the top of the damn. could really use another water station at the end of the damn. turned around and headed back across the top..getting a look at everyone who was coming for me. went for broke running down the damn dam...had a friend, who is an exceptional runner, on my ass about 30 seconds back and I knew this was my chance to gap him. I knew the finish was slightly downhill so I gave everything I had coming up the last couple of hills. Sprinted to the finish, letting out some yells. super happy to hold off my friend, beating him by 46 seconds. Chose not to wear the garmin or even a watch for this race, just going by feel. Pretty sure I was really moving for the last mile of the run.

More running would help, but I have been fighting an ITB injury so to do so well here, on my limited miles, really makes me happy.
Post race
Warm down:

sweaty hugs for the family and friends. cheered everyone else on in. got ready to volunteer for the kids tri which started right after our race finished.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

injuries....limited amount of tng time.

Event comments:

Our club may be more involved with organizing this race in years to come and we certainly know how to improve it. Highlight of the day was watching my nine year old daughter complete her first triathlon. Seeing how excited the kids and parents were made it very worthwhile. Our next generation of triathletes are coming on strong! Beat my time from last year and set a p.b.! enough said.

Last updated: 2011-02-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:07 | 800 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 7/157
Performance: Average
Suit: full
Course: triangle two left turns
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:37:05 | 12 miles | 19.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/9
Overall: 9/157
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: tough little course, strange turn around on a steep downhill. 40 mph big ring, all brakes, 180 degree and go back up the hill in the little ring. shocks the body only a mile into the course. hilly the rest of the way- I call this the hardest bike I do all year.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:21:20 | 03.1 miles | 06m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/9
Overall: 5/157
Performance: Good
Course: this is an interesting and challenging course. Up a grade for the first 1/4 mile then twists and turns until you hit the base of a dam....you have to scramble 150' up this thing at an unbelievably steep angle. then a 180, and run along the top of the dam...do a 180 and come back. of course you have to go down the damn. ouch.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-06 9:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Sunny Binghamton
Subject: Broome County Triathlon

2011-07-06 2:01 PM
in reply to: #3582801

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: RE: Broome County Triathlon
Nice RR JC!  I wonder if the cinder block was the anchor for the buoys that they use in the swim area.  I doubt anyone on the Parks side would have thought about triathletes dolphining...but now that I think of it, if you could dolphin off the bottom then you could probably run to, so the water was shallow enough where they probably could have taken people standing up into consideration.  Hope next year you race injury free. Kudos to Emma!
2011-07-08 8:19 AM
in reply to: #3582801

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Broome County Triathlon Rss Feed