Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Tri It at Lake Chestermere - water temp? Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-06 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary
Subject: Tri It at Lake Chestermere - water temp?

I'm thinking of the Tri It race in Chestermere on July 17.  Does anyone have any knowledge about the water temperature?  Should I rent a wetsuit?

Thanks

Don

2011-07-06 2:42 PM
in reply to: #3583280

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Subject: RE: Tri It at Lake Chestermere - water temp?
donw - 2011-07-06 11:58 AM

I'm thinking of the Tri It race in Chestermere on July 17.  Does anyone have any knowledge about the water temperature?  Should I rent a wetsuit?

Thanks

Don

They just move the race from Coral Springs out there this year due to construction.  Wetsuit= yes. Always use one if you can.

Will be interesting how they run it out there. Probably a better race though than in the city.

2011-07-06 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Thanks Trevor.

I'm pretty new to triathlon and was just saying to my wife that I didn't really think I would use a wetsuit enough to justify buying one.  However, if I sign up for Chestermere it will be my third weekend wetsuit rental this summer.  I might need to rethink my rent versus buy decision.

Don

2011-07-09 9:59 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary, Alberta
 wetsuit for sure, makes it much easier!! ---- swam there on tuesday, was pretty warm but was 28degrees outside when i went...super weedy and waves from all the boats...I know they are supposed to cut them so hopefully they get them all and hope they don't let boats through the bridge that day!!
2011-07-11 7:34 AM
in reply to: #3588615

I am also doing the Tri at Chestemere. I got a wet suit for the swim. Someone suggested using panty hose underneath to make it easier to pull on. Does anyone have any experience with this? Any other suggestions for making it easier to put these on?
2011-07-11 9:05 AM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada

never heard the pantyhose thing. As a guy, ummmm that would be freaky. If you want a really good trick, get an empty bread bag and put your foot it in. Then pop your foot into the wetsuit. Slides in nice and easy.

Edited by TrevorC 2011-07-11 9:08 AM

2011-07-12 4:29 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta
Saw the machines out taking care of the weeds yesterday. Should be a great race.
2011-07-13 10:38 PM

User image

Regular
Went swimming in Chestermere today... water was nice and warm and they have done a good job at taking care of the weeds!
2011-07-15 9:24 PM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

I signed up - thanks for the lake reports.  I use the plastic bag trick for putting on wetsuits.

Don

2011-07-18 7:55 AM

Did the Tri with a wet suite. I am a pretty strong swimmer---in the pool. This race, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and had to stop and tread water. I ended up doing heads up breast for 3/4 of the course because no matter how slow I went, I just couldn't seem to stop gasping. I was warm, but I felt that the wet suite was so tight across my chest, that it restricted my breathing. I am reluctant to try that again.
I am wondering how the few without wetsuites managed? There were also some "farmer Brown" type suites also. I thought that they may create some drag but did look like they were not so restricting accross the chest.
Did anyone else have this experience? Will I get used to it? Will it go away or should I look for another suite?
I would like to sign up for the Banff Tri in Sept, but this problem is a huge barrier
2011-07-18 8:16 AM

User image

Regular

I had this exact problem my first open water race and am still working on it... what I have found was that I just really needed time in the open water. It is totally different to pool swim.

As for the suit I've made a point of REALLY working it upwards as much as humanly possible so I have a much room as possible around the chest/shoulders but for me the inability to breathe was more panic and anxiety than caused by the suit and time and experience are the only things fixing it.

2011-07-24 9:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary

Royalfreedom - Have you tried an open water swim without a wetsuit?  Do you know how much of your difficulty is the wet suit and how much is OWS in general?  I'm dealing with similar anxieties about OWS and I actually like the wetsuit but there's something about the strangeness of the environment that I find hard to deal with.  Head up doing breast stroke is pleasant; head down, swim-hard freestyle freaks me out a little.

I've done three open water swims this year and I was beginning to think that I had it all figured out, but between swims 2 and 3 I regressed.  I was very glad that I did a practice run before my first race.

Quarry Lake (Canmore) practice run - totally freaked - 75% breast stroke

Quarry Lake Canmore Olympic triathlon - better than I expected - 1% breast stroke

Chestermere Sprint triathlon - 15% breast stroke - somewhat disappointing

Edited by donw 2011-07-24 9:23 AM
2011-07-26 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3601205

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta

Royalfreedom - 2011-07-18 6:55 AM Did the Tri with a wet suite. I am a pretty strong swimmer---in the pool. This race, I felt like I couldn't catch my breath and had to stop and tread water. I ended up doing heads up breast for 3/4 of the course because no matter how slow I went, I just couldn't seem to stop gasping. I was warm, but I felt that the wet suite was so tight across my chest, that it restricted my breathing. I am reluctant to try that again. I am wondering how the few without wetsuites managed? There were also some "farmer Brown" type suites also. I thought that they may create some drag but did look like they were not so restricting accross the chest. Did anyone else have this experience? Will I get used to it? Will it go away or should I look for another suite? I would like to sign up for the Banff Tri in Sept, but this problem is a huge barrier

I so know what you are talking about! Bought a good(i think) wetsuit(zoot on sale for $400). Managed about 30 minutes swimming(15 minutes each time) in it before the race in Invermere. I am a fairly strong swimmer but during my Olympic race I felt constricted in the shoulders and I tired easily. Came out of the water disappointed as I was doing breaststroke every 100 meters  it seemed. Still managed a decent time for my first Olympic. I am trying to get out and do more practice OWS. Will be in Shushwap for the next week, hoping to practice every day in it. Hoping it is a matter of "breaking in" the suit and getting used to it...Next tri is an Olympic at Miquelon Lake Aug. 21. Will report back then...

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Alberta » Tri It at Lake Chestermere - water temp? Rss Feed