General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike or Tri Bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-06 4:11 PM

User image

Subject: Road Bike or Tri Bike

New to the sport, am shopping for bikes while doing bike work at the gym (spin class, etc.) I know this is not the best way to go about it, but wanted to get thought on road bikes vs. tri bikes.

I already have a mountain bike, so if I'm just going riding with the kiddo I have that.

So is there a reason to by a road bike at all? I know I'm just going to use it for tris, so not sure what the point of a road bike would really be.

Any thoughts, opinions, etc. would be weclome. Thanks in advance.

2011-07-06 4:24 PM
in reply to: #3583659

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe
Subject: RE: Road Bike or Tri Bike

Road bikes are a lot easier to maneuver when you're riding.  You don't have to worry about being in the aero bars and changing positions to break suddenly.

Ideally use the tri bike for training on long open roads and a road bike for riding in groups or city streets.

If all you want to do is triathlons, stick with a tri bike.  If you want to ride in groups or around town, get a road bike and then get clip on aero bars.

2011-07-06 4:42 PM
in reply to: #3583682

User image

Thanks for the reply, I have started reading your blog, good stuff.

For someone who wants to be competivtive in their age group, is there really going to be that much differance? I mean I have been told from a guy in a bike shop that with the right fitting and aero bar, you can get pretty close to a tri bike position.

2011-07-06 5:02 PM
in reply to: #3583704

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe

Pretty close, ya.  But, does the guy at the bike shop race triathlons?  If he has a few years of experience, I'd listen a bit more.  But, more often than not, bike shop guys are roadies or mountain bikers.

It makes a HUGE difference as long as you have the motor (training) to put into it.  Tri bikes have a specific geometry that are meant to get you as close to horizontal as possible, eliminating your surface area for wind resisitance.  It pushes you more forward and lowers the arms more than a road bike with clip on bars.

You always have to be careful with the bike shops.  Sometimes they want you to just buy a bike and the one they want to sell you.

2011-07-06 6:45 PM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS

The road bike will be much more flexible for the different types of rides, as you get more into Triathlons you'll meet more people and eventually they'll want to do a group ride where you'll be the only one with a TT bike.  Not that there's anything wrong with that but you might get some friendly "ribbing" from other riders, specially roadies.

No doubt with proper fitting you can be faster on the TT bike, question is how much?

If you go the road bike route I would get fit for the bike+aero bars together.  I already owned a road bike so when I got aero bars my fit was not optimum.  My frame geometry and body dimensions with aero bars was not the ideal combination.  I ended up with a new stem which made some improvement.  I'm definitely faster with this setup, just with I got bike+aero at the same time.

Not sure where you live but my recommendation would be get fit at a Tri friendly bike shop.  I went to Elite Cycling in Leawood and am quite happy with the results of my fitting.

But TT bikes are COOL so if you really want to go that route then go for it.  I wish I had the $$$ for one.

2011-07-06 9:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Prairie Village, Kansas
I second Elite Cycling.  Even if you aren't too close, I would make the trip.  They have staff that race frequently, and understand demands are different for triathletes, as opposed to road racers or mtb/cyclocross racers.  I too am in the market for a new bike.  I will be looking sometime this fall, when they are a bit cheaper (hopefully).  I have an old road bike I bought on Craigslist that I used this year for races.  I have had a mixed experience with it, but in the end I have learned alot for owning it. I now know exactly what I want in my first Tri Bike (what works for me, what doesn't).  I am going to keep it for city riding and group rides, as mentioned above, but will be pursuing a TT bike for racing.  Good luck with your purchase, and if it helps, I guarantee whatever option you do choose, it will be better than the mountain bike!

2011-07-07 7:00 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Olathe, Kansas

Here is something to look at. First, find a good bike fitter that will charge you and conduct a proper, preferably FIST certified bike fit. Than check seriously into:

2010 or 2009, maybe 2011 Kestrel Talon SL, but road version. Here is why. It should come around $2000, carbon, either 105 or Force group depending where you look, seat post allows for 73 degrees road or 76 degrees tri position. Road version comes with road bars. It is than very easy to convert it to tri configuration by replacing the road bars with base bar+clip ons or integrated TT bar, so as the season changes you can go from road to tri and back. So you get dual purpose bike for the same money. It is very hard to beat that, but have to ensure first you will fit in the tri configuration as it is than easier to normalize your fit in road.

2011-07-07 7:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas

A properly fitted tri bike will give you a big edge in a triathlon if your motor can push you beyond 20 mph. Not only will your mph average be higher with the same effort than if you were on a rode bike but your legs will be in better shape for the run.

The 1st year I did tri's I used a road bike and always had leg cramp issues starting the run (note I was in very good running condition before starting triathlons). After I bought a cheap tri bike on eBay the leg cramp issues went away on the run. Now I have to throttle down on the run start.

I have since upgraded to a better TRI bike and sold my road bike.

As some of the others have said you can also get a good combo bike. I know several people who race the Cervelo S1 and S2 Aero road bike. The seat post switches to the forward tri position/geomtry for triathlon racing. So with some clip-on aero bars, a flip of the seat, and a seat hieght adjustment your are ready for a triathlon. Some of them actually use two of the upper seat post atachments with a road saddle on one and a tri saddle on the other.

Good luck.

2011-07-11 11:33 AM

User image

Overland Park

I was in your shoes a 1.5 years ago and I went the road bike option getting a Felt z-series bike.  The bike is carbon with SRAM force in standard road config and I ride a mixture of group rides and solo long rides.  The first year I did duathlons and this year doing tri's.   Since I only do sprint Tri's the time I loose by not being on an aero bike is minimal, however if you are considering longer tri's I would definelty go the aero route.  It also depends on what you want to accomplish in triathlons; competing with others, just finishing, doing well in AG cat, and how many events.

Nice to know the flexible options of the Kestral and Cervelo S1/S2 bikes.

2011-07-12 1:54 PM

User image

Thanks to all for the advice.
2011-07-12 3:39 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA

Have you done any tris yet?  Deciding on a tri-bike will be easier if you have done some races and know you want to make the commitment.  I went straight from a hybrid my first season to a tri-bike when I got my hands on some cash last fall. I'd like to have a road bike around, but I don't NEED it. I do okay on group rides, even if I can't climb yet...(and nobody has ever giving me grief for going aero, as I am careful about it and can hold my line.)

+1 on Elite Cycling.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Road Bike or Tri Bike Rss Feed