General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race Bike Maintenance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-06 5:34 PM

User image

Veteran
Maple Grove
Subject: Pre-Race Bike Maintenance

I'm sure there's a lot of variability, but what are the recommended pre-race tune up items you all do in the day or 2 before a race? I'm thinking Oly or sprint here (obviously the tune-up for a HIM or IM would be a lot more extensive). Is it just check the brakes and tires, add a chain cleaning, or take it in for a full make-over?

Thanks, Ryan

2011-07-06 5:46 PM
in reply to: #3583764

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maple Grove,MN
Subject: RE: Pre-Race Bike Maintenance
I always do my tires before I go out, check out the brakes and make sure its shifting right (I check when changing over from training/ carbon wheels). I also make sure the aero bars and arm pad bolts are tight. I had one of the aero bars extensions get loose mid race and wasn't fun.
2011-07-06 9:18 PM

New user
Standard is clean and oil chain. Check breaks. Change over to race wheels. Make sure I have smooth shifting. Wash the bike "clean bike is a fast bike.". Depending on the distance and weather, I decide how much hydration I'll carry. I try to get the bike as light as possible, so I remove things I won't use like extra bottle cage(s) bento box etc. Make sure tires are holding air and give it a quick visual and fix any thing else that needs it.
2011-07-06 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3583993

User image

Veteran
Golden Valley, MN

jrondorf - 2011-07-06 9:18 PM Standard is clean and oil chain. Check breaks. Change over to race wheels. Make sure I have smooth shifting. Wash the bike "clean bike is a fast bike.". Depending on the distance and weather, I decide how much hydration I'll carry. I try to get the bike as light as possible, so I remove things I won't use like extra bottle cage(s) bento box etc. Make sure tires are holding air and give it a quick visual and fix any thing else that needs it.

Excellent summary.  I might also add to grease the pedals and check all nuts/bolts - which doesn't mean to crank down on them, 'cuz some can be overtightened and stripped...but make sure they're still tight.

2011-07-06 10:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

+2 on what jrondorf said.  Clean the bike, lube it and tune the drivetrain.  Then make sure the wheels and tires are in good shape. 

If you do a healthy amount of day-to-day and week-to-week maintenance you should be able to see any more serious issues well ahead of time.  My goal is to get to the point with my maintenance skills where I only have to bring my bike in for heavy-duty and overly technical repairs.

He also makes a good point about stripping off all the unnecessary clutter.  For a sprint, I don't see the need for a saddle bag or a 2nd bottle cage.  A naked (or nearly-naked) bike feels way fast.  Zip-ties and electrical tape are your friends for wrangling loose cables and attaching nutrition.

2011-07-06 10:31 PM

User image

Veteran
St Paul, MN
For any race, I do a nice wipe down of the bike (style point count) and wheels. I do a thorough check of the tires for any debris, remove it, and if necessary glue the cut/crack--minimizes flat potential. I make sure shifting is crisp. I check/adjust the brakes. I also clean, power, and lube the speedplay cleats on my bike shoes.  For shorter races, I strip off bottle cages as on oly or less, my aero bottle is adequate.

2011-07-08 5:30 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
I never race on a newly tuned bike. If you have problems, get them taken care of two weeks ahead of time. Don't walk into your bike shop a week ahead of the race and expect maintenance to be done because you have a race this weekend. I believe that one needs to ride the bike at least four or five times after adjustments are made to work out the bugs and kinks.

Basically, look for anything that may cause a problem or fail. Tires are the weak point here. Give the rubber a thorough looking over. Look for any debris, bulges or wear in your tires. Inflate them properly to avoid pinch flats. Make sure your brakes aren't rubbing.

Here's one... Make sure that your bike is securely attached to the rack and the rack is attached to the vehicle before you depart for the race. Better yet, transport the bike inside the vehicle. I stayed after hours at the shop where I work to fix a bike that fell of a rack at 70 mph. It wasn't pretty when it came in, but I got the thing working.
2011-07-08 8:01 AM
in reply to: #3586005

User image

Extreme Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN, Minnesota

Here's one... Make sure that your bike is securely attached to the rack and the rack is attached to the vehicle before you depart for the race. Better yet, transport the bike inside the vehicle. I stayed after hours at the shop where I work to fix a bike that fell of a rack at 70 mph. It wasn't pretty when it came in, but I got the thing working.

You just described my worst nightmare.  When the bike is on the trunk rack, I probably spend more time looking at my rear-view mirror than looking through my windshield.  I can just imagine my bike bouncing down the highway before getting flattened by a semi.  *shudder*

2011-07-08 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
Minnesota
My bike is not a bumper!

There is a reason that folks who work at a bike shop rarely rack their bikes outside of a vehicle. We see several rack incidents every summer at the shop where I work: bikes falling off the rack, rack falling off the car, bikes backed into (garage, tree, other car), car rear ended, bikes backed into by another vehicle, car top rack driven into garage and the coolest was the pair of bikes that were struck by lightning while on the back of a car. Shall I also mention the road grit, sandblasting, rain, mud, and other elements that the bike is exposed to on a rack, all working their way into the moving parts of the drivetrain, derailleurs, cables and especially the shifters?

Edited by B-One 2011-07-08 9:56 AM
2011-07-12 11:51 AM

User image

Victoria, MN
I went to a triathlon seminar at Gear West early this spring; David Thompson (their top pro racer) made a great point.  People will go to all lengths to lose those last few pounds before a race to get lighter and faster ... then weigh their bikes down with bottles and bags. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pre-Race Bike Maintenance Rss Feed