General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving to south chelmsford Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-07 2:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chelmsford, MA
Subject: moving to south chelmsford
Relocating from Newburyport around October 1. Where do people swim, both pool and open water? What about health clubs, bike shops, group rides, etc. All recommendations appreciated.

2011-07-07 3:03 PM
in reply to: #3585125

New user

Subject: RE: moving to south chelmsford

I live in south chelmsford now and use the Westford Raquet and fitness on littleton rd.  I live off of rte 27 and it is only about 2 miles away.  It is the only place reasonably close that has a pool (lowell or andover ymca are the only other options I think?) The gym part of the facility is not the best but has the basic treadmills, eliptical, weights, spinning classes are small and can be really good depending on the instructor you get.  As for open water swimming, I love to go to Walden pond in Concord.  It is about 10-12 miles away (I biked there last weekend and is beautiful.  Early mornings in the summer it is full of triathletes, but not too crowded at all which is nice. 

There is a bike shop in chelmsford - Chelmsford cyclery which I have used for my tune up this spring.  He seemed nice and knowledgeable, but they are not really geared toward triathletes.  I used to go to V3 multisport in Arlington before they closed last year so I am looking for a new place as well. 

I don't do much group riding so I don't have any suggestions there.

Hope that helps!

Kaitlin

2011-08-06 2:45 PM

Great Brook Farms in Carlisle (right on the Chelmsford line) has great trails for both running and biking. You can run over 10 miles without repetition. The Lowell Tyngsborough Dracut state forest (multiple entrances in the different towns) also has great trails to run and bike.  
2011-08-11 10:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Boston

Beej - 2011-07-07 3:22 PM Relocating from Newburyport around October 1. Where do people swim, both pool and open water? What about health clubs, bike shops, group rides, etc. All recommendations appreciated.

I live next town over in Billerica.  Lots of great training areas around.

Swim:

For pool I use the Boston Sports Club since I can go to whichever is closer.  I go to Woburn during thew week (since I work in the area) and Lexington on weekends (closer to home).  Price is reasonable and never had much of a problem getting a lane.

for open water there is Silver Lake in Wilmington or Walden Pond in Concord.  I go to Walden more often and enjoy the swim there.  It is about half mile across or 1.5m if you swim the perimeter (there is also a 1.2m swim marked off I found somewhere on the web that shows a point to point swim from the beach to different coves).

Bike:

crw.org has some great bike routes mapped out, many of which go through Chelmsford.  I've been doing the "Apple Pi" route which is a 56 mile marked road trail starting at the Bedford VA and going through Chelmsford, Concord, Acton, Harvard, etc... About 2800 feet of climbing and beautiful ride by some very nice (expensive) houses and apple orchards.  There is a shorter 35 mile version and several other marked trails through that area.  Crw has the cue sheets and many routes have downloadable GPX files for a Garmin. The ride brings you through Great Brook which is an awesome area if you like to mountain bike.

CRW also organizes a lot of group rides in the area, but since I only have my tri bike I have not participated in any of them (though road bike is on the menu...)

Run:

Great Brook has some nice trail running.  If you want flat and straight, the Bruce Freeman Rail Trail goes right through Chelmsford center and is 6.8 miles with some planned expansion (you can do loops if you want more).  Otherwise plenty of street running and back roads away from traffic.

Bike Shops:

I don't know too much about Chelmsford Cyclery.  For local shops, Cycle Loft in Burlington (on 3A) is very close and they have always treated me well. Belmont Wheelworks is not too far (20-25 minutes) and I admittedly purchased my bike there since I got a great price, but am not impressed with their prices or service (had a warranty issue on my Cervelo and they were useless - ended up doing it myself).

Lastly, there is a Triathlon group in the area called TriFury which I've heard great things about and just need to join

Lots of great training in this section of MA. Welcome!

Edited by mogulbumm 2011-08-11 10:48 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » moving to south chelmsford Rss Feed