General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Finally going to try the TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-07 7:07 PM

New user

Subject: Finally going to try the TRI
Hi, Lou here with a 54 year old body. I have been in good shape (reasonably) for many years indulging in weight training, cardio ( walking, elliptical) etc, so definitely not out of shape, but really looking forward to an exercise routine to keep me young..... Chuckle. I am looking to start with sprint since I am here in CT and the seasons are short, so wanting to ramp up quick enough to hit at least one event for the year. Looks like the several wine glasses at dinner time will be slowly diminished, huh?Lots of questions, but mostly on bike equipment and swimming for now, but just wanted to introduce myself. I am an early riser so some of my training can be done in the "wee" hours of the day. I am looking forward to this, but my immediate questions are What type of equipment to buy so I can get started, and whether I need to get lessons to try and swim again? In any event, I opento see you all out there!Lou

2011-07-08 3:15 PM
in reply to: #3585622

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Finally going to try the TRI

Hi Lou! Welcome to BT and triathlon--what an awesome decision to make.

Swimming lessons are really important if you can get them because swimming is all form (at the beginning) and then you're not flailing and repeating the same inefficiencies over thousands of strokes trying to get better. Improvements will be much more rapid after that and you can focus on building up your swim endurance.

As for a bike--starting out, any bike you can ride comfortably will do. I wouldn't invest in a nice road bike unless you have a bunch of cash just dying to leave your pocket and you would ride it anyway even if you eventually decide triathlon is not for you.

2011-07-09 4:13 AM
in reply to: #3587162

New user

Hi TriAya,Thanks for the response! I agree with your advice based on all all I have been reading and appreciate your taking the time to lend a hand to a newcomer. Like many endeavors and hobbies in my life, I usually committ myself to a cause and the TRI should be no different. The challenge here is that it is a commitment that needs to I integrate into an already busy life routine. Obviously sacrifices are in order to fully commit! Thanks again, I look forward to jumping into thisLou
2011-07-09 6:49 AM
in reply to: #3585622

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Hi Lou! I'm on the other end of the state, but we've got a very active group here. Check out the CT state board; some of us will hold group rides, swims , etc. Pretty active contingient. There's a great Olympic distance race in Bridgeport in August which is self contained in the park.

Have fun; know your goals and work toward YOUR goals. Don't let anyone insist you should do this or that differently. It's about your self improvement and fun.
2011-07-09 4:31 PM
in reply to: #3587814

New user

Hi pitt83Thx for the advice..... Could always use some LOL!I will check out CT board. Love the life with lemons phrase..... Thought it would end with "make lemonade" but this is better, I love itLou
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Finally going to try the TRI Rss Feed