Great Missenden,
United Kingdom
Verulam CC
Total Time = 6h 58m 48s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early had a BIG breakfast and waited for Steve to come and pick me up. Then ate some more in the car on the way there.
Event warmup:

None.
Bike
  • 6h 58m 48s
  • 107 miles
  • 15.33 mile/hr
Comments:

This was hard. Set off with Martin, Steve and Spike and about 1 mile into the ride we hit the 1st climb. Just took it easy and spun up it, but we were already dropping Spike so had to slow and wait for him. After that first climb it was quite flat for a while, but we kept quite a good pace going on the flat although not rapid enough for Steve who took off never to be seen again until the finish. We then got to the first proper climb. I was feeling good and spun my way up it dropping Martin in the process. He managed to get back on after the climb and we were in a nice group going along at a good pace until the next climb reared up. I was comfortable here too and we were soon at the first food stop. This is where I ballsed up and didn't eat enough and we were also there too long and cooled down too much. Oh well. The next section started off good, but as the climbs kept coming I was no longer able to drop Martin at will ;) and started feeling really rough. Where was that next food stop!!!!???? I needed calories, but the gels made me feel sick. I was having a proper bonk by now, but I managed to get to the next stop and ate 8! flapjacks. That's better. Off I set in pursuit of Martin who had set off just as I got to the 2nd stop and I was feeling good now and climbing really well. Sadly I couldn't find a group that was 'fast' enough and just kept catching people and then overtaking them on the climbs. Had I known how close Martin was, I would have really dropped the hammer, but I was starting to feel tired and my legs were pretty painful at this point, so I just rode in at a comfortable pace.
What would you do differently?:

Train. I guess 5.5 Mile flat commutes 10 times a week doesn't really prepare you for 106 HILLY!!!!! Miles. ;)
Post race

Last updated: 2010-01-18 12:00 AM
Biking
06:58:48 | 107 miles | 15.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful ride through the little lanes of the Chilterns, but VERY VERY VERY hilly. I like hills. but I must confess I'd had enough at the end of this.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge