General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
MultiRace
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 4s
Overall Rank = 194/596
Age Group = F45-49
Age Group Rank = 4/21
Pre-race routine:

Photobucket Trilogy#1

The Trilogy#1 was other great Event organized for the well known people of

Photobucket

And it's part of the Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy Series...one of the most tough, competitive and challenging Sprints here in South Florida...

I have been racing this Trilogy Series since 2005 and I love it...

Event that took place at the Miami Marine Stadium instead the usual Crandon Park, in Key Biscayne, FL last Jun.19th...holding an International Distance and Sprint Triathlon / Duathlon all at the same time with 219 thriathletes for the International Distance, 596 thriathletes for the Sprint and 90 Duathletes...for a total of 905 participants...

Friday Jun.17th:

We went to Miami to pick-up our Race Packages at Mack Cycle...Buddy got Bid# 564 / silver cap...and...for me...Bid# 563 / purple cap...nice...another color beside the funky pinky cap..!!!LOL

Photobucket

And beside our Bid#s and swimming cpas...We got our goodies bag and a nice high-tech t-shirt...

Photobucket

From there...We went directly to get a full carbo lunch/dinner at Olive Garden...Buddy ordered his usual Seafood Portofino and for me...the Steak Gorgonzola-Alfredo...very yummmmmy...!!!!

Saturday Jun.18th:

Woke-up late...around 8:00 am...Nice...!!!
Took a full breaksfast: OJ, toasted bagels with cream cheese, slice of turkey and salame, and brie on top, eggs, and coffee w/milk...and...off course our usual package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q10...

Washed/waxed/lubed/tuned my Bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...put Bid#s on my bike, helmet and race belt...and...prepared/packed all my Race stuff...

Took luch at noon time...lasagna...and...took an 1 hour nap...ZZZzzz

Prepared all my beverages for the Race...placed them into the fridge/refrigerator...

Loaded bikes and Transition Bags into the car and got early dinner: grilled swordfish and steams veggies...Yummmmy!!!

Went to bed at 9:00 pm....ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sunday July 19th:

Woke-up at 4:00 am...Got dressed...Took Mariah our dog outside...Took my usual Pre-Race Beakfast: OJ and my Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and my package of multi-vitamins and minerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine, and CO-Q 10...

Did our own body-marked...to save time...

Took our coolers with beverages and Ice and left from home around 4:35 am...It took us about 1 hour to get at Key Biscayne...stopping first at the Restrooms in Tri-Beach for a techinical stop to avoid the long lines at Race...parked car at the Sea Aquarium's Parking Lot...took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to pick-up our timming chips...and..went to Transition Area...

Racked bike in my rack area...my bike was almost the last one of our rack area and did set-up my Race stuff like usual:

Helmet over seat...a green towel in front of my bike...biking/running shoes over the green towel, sunglasses over biking shoes, race belt with Bid# and a package with Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped next to the running shoes and a bottle with frozen water...

Photobucket

Filled the Speedfil with ice and water...checked gears...and set-up cyclocomputer ready for Race...

Photobucket

And here a view of my rack area:

Photobucket

Checked Exit/Entrance in Trasnsition...Went back to my rack arae...relaxed over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of the Race...took 1 Accel Gel and 2 Endurolytes with water/Accelerade (Fruit Punch)...

Took my goggles, swim cap, wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area...

Event warmup:

It was an overcasted morning...we had rains during the nite...and...temps were in 80oF's...

At the Swimming Area...did some arms and legs stretchings and jumped into the water...the water temp. was nice...not too warm...swam maybe 200 mts and came back to shore... and met with my Buddy and my girl friend Julie...waiting for Race...

There were in total 11 Waves....the 3 first ones for the Internaional Distance every 3 minutes...then the Duathlon in Mass...and...finally...at 7:20 am...the Sprint dstance started....with the Pro/Elites, PC, Male 35-39, Male 19 & under...Buddy was in the Wave#8 Male 45+ at 7:32 am and me as usual almost the last one Wave#10 at 7:40 Female 40+, All Relays, Athena and Female Fat Tire...Yikes....all together...Are you kidding me??? LOL

Swim
  • 09m 55s
  • 475 meters
  • 02m 05s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swimming Course:

Photobucket

Note: The Swimming Course was a little longer...according with everybody's Garmins...in between 470 and 475 mts...

Lined in front of the Pack with the fast swimmers to avoid to get trapped in between the whales...

Photobucket

Just when the guy gave us green light to start I ran and jumped very fast as usual...but...as soon I started to swim...OMG...someone was smackng my head from my left side...I couldn't see who was cuz I never stopped trying to get rid of her/his...and...a guy from a Relay Team started getting very closer on my right side...I felt like they were squeezing me...It was very hard to swim till the 1st bouy...not enough space for a good swimming...but...kicked very hard...and...finally got free from both...and...just when I rounded the 1st bouy...it was a very nice smooth swim till the Swim Exit..

Just when my hands touched the sand at shore...I got up and ran out as fast as possible to the Swim Exit Arch...

Photobucket

At the same time removing goggles, swimming cap, wax ear plugs...BTW...my rght wax ear-plug popped out like a Champagne corch from my ear... losing it...Yikes...that decided to toss the other one...!!! LOL

Photobucket
What would you do differently?:

Continue with my trainings...
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

A fast Transition as usual...the 2nd fastest in my AG / 21 women and 75th Overall / 596 participants...Also the 5th fastest Female Overall / 175 women...not bad...!!!

Just when I got out out the water...I ran very fast as usual to Transition...passing a lot of women...got easy at my rack area that was the 3rd one after the entrance...put helmet, sunglases and biking shoes...took bike...and ran fast out of Transition...to the Mount Area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 30m 22s
  • 10 miles
  • 19.76 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike Course:

Photobucket

As soon I got at the Mount Area...jumped over my bike and cranked very hard...reaching and passing a lot of women of my Wave...

It was a great/fast ride...but...had to deal with a lot of bike traffic...but...I kept it up...passing more and more people...

Got at the Bridge...the famous "Rickenbacker Bridge" ak.a "the beast" but I love this damn bridge..I like challenges...LOL

Here..a view of our first climb....

2010 Tri-Miami Triathlon

Cranked more hard till I got at the top...and...It's always a great feeling everytime that I get the top...made me feel like I conquered the "Everest" plus the view from that point of the City of Miami is spectacular....

2010 Trilogy#1

And it's here where You have a very thrilling / exciting moment...going down bridge...at more than 35 mph....Yahooooooooooooooooooooo....!!!! LOL

But then after the bridge...maybe 200 mts...the U-turn...and...again to climb the beast "Rickenbacker Bridge"...Uffffff!!! till you get at the top...and...the excitment comes again....down bridge...Yahoooooo...!!! LOL

And from here we headed to the Key Biscayne Villages but doing a U-turn at Crandon Park...and...back to the Miami Marine Stadium...

Got at the Desmount Area...desmounting as usual...keeping shoes on...and...jumped from bike and ran very fast to Transition Area...

Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Another fast Transition as usual...but...this time the fastest on my AG / 21 women and 122nd Overall / 596 participants...

As soon I desmounted ran to my rack area...racked bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...took my hat and bottle of water...and...ran out of Transition....

Practice and practice...
Run
  • 26m 29s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Run Course:

Photobucket

The Run Course is very nice...part paved and dirty trail...but...we usually have a slower time in this course...it's a little narrow trail...a lot of people traffic...and...it's really difficult to pass them cuz people coming in the other way...but...in general it's really nice...cuz...it's very shady...and...you don't feel the heat like in Crandon Park...

Just out of Transiton Area...running in a constante pace...not to slow and not too fast...put my hat...my belt with Bid#...took the 2 Endurolytes with enough water...tossed some over my head, neck and shoulders...nice...!!! and put the bottle in my back pocket of my Tri-suit...

The firts section of the Run Course is over white sand...soft and compact sand sections...then...starts a paved trail...where...I started to push more and more...passing a lot of people....got at the 1st water station at the mile 1...took 2 cups of water...tossed one over my head and did drink the other one...even...the trail is very shady...still...I can feel the humidity...

From this point...starts a mile of dirty trail...where you have to pay a lot of attention of your steps if you don't want to fall...it's 1/2 mile till the u-turn and other 1/2 mile go back to the water station...and...again the paved trail...where I started to push more and more...passing tons of people even it's a narrow trail...

At this point I knew that I was doing great...for sure in the top 5...and...ust approching till the point where the paved trail finished...a fast girl passed me...she was smocking...I redcognized her...one of the fastest runners of my AG...Damn...She really surprised me...and...I said to me "time to sprint"...I sprinted as fast as I could...but...I couldn't reach her...but...still passed a lot people in my last meters till the Finish Line....Nice...!!!

Here a sequences of Pics approching to the Finish Line...

PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

I know that I can do a faster run...but...not in this Run Course...It's a narrow trail...and...when there are too many people is very difficult to pass cuz people are coming from the other way...

Post race
Warm down:

As soon I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other removed my timing chips from my ankles and other gave to me a Finisher Medal...

Went to Transition Area..met with Buddy...and...collected/packed all our Race stuff...

Here a view of Transition from our rack area:

Photobucket
Photobucket

And here one of my best tri-girlfriend Julie:

Photobucket

And me with her:

Photobucket

Put my helmet, took our Bikes, bags and coolers and rode to the Sea Aquarium Parking Lot...and...loaded all into the car...and...moved the car to the Miami Marine Stadium next to Transition Area...and...went to check Results...finding out that I got 4th place in my AG...WooooHoooo...!!!

Age Group: 4th / 18 women

Female Overall: 26th / 175th women

Overall: 194th / 596 triathletes

Total Time: 1hr 08m 42s

Here at the Award Ceremony:

Photobucket Photobucket

And the Award Medal and Finisher Medal:

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The problems that I have to deal at the beginning of my swimming and the narrow trail...

Event comments:

Excellent Event like usual...very well organized...a lot of volunteers...plain of water stations...and...tons of food after the Race...

Last updated: 2011-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:55 | 475 meters | 02m 05s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/21
Overall: 272/596
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:30:22 | 10 miles | 19.76 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 226/596
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:29 | 03.11 miles | 08m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/21
Overall: 217/596
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-08 3:29 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

2011-07-08 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3587189

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Subject: RE: Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1

Congrats Velo! Great job and awesome race report as usual ;-)...

Happy racing and training...Alicia

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mack Cycle Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy #1 Rss Feed