Boise Valley YMCA
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 39m
Overall Rank = 104/172
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/8
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 4:30, had coffee, 1/2 wht bagel w/cream cheese and 1 egg, a little greek yogurt w/honey. got to T1 nice and early set up then set up T2 at the dam and found the weather conditions considerably different. 20mph wind with white caps everywhere, I was so scared. They tried delaying so wind would calm down but didn't happen so they cancelled the swim, thank God. Had a gel b/f the run up to bike.
Event warmup:

I jumped up and down alot to try and warm my legs and body, it was chilly up there.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

cancelled swim b/c of weather
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

fishtailed right b/f first speed bump on dam road, yikes! Needed to dial it back a little.
What would you do differently?:

Could have gotten helmet on faster, was screwing around with strap too long. Really need to get better transition times.
Bike
  • 55m 18s
  • 18.4 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Went strong on the bike for my ability, not sure what would happen, just tried keeping a handle on my HR. Did'nt attack the hills used a lighter gear and just tried to get thru them and then be on my way. Felt good, had so much fun!

Just keep training to get stronger. Probably have to train hill more, oh joy.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Some of the above things just didn't apply and I thought you couldn't run with helmet off, haven't practiced that one. Could do better putting number belt on, it seems so simple but I could shave some seconds off that. Also, I didn't unbuckle my shoes b/f getting there, totally forgot until now, duh, forgot on the 70.3 too, my brain shuts off. Need to practice more so it's in there when I'm in robotic race mode.

see above
Run
  • 42m 5s
  • 5 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Ok not sure what it means when it says overall in bike and run I'm 104 overall for the whole race. I came in 1st in the run and the bike in my AG but don't know what my overal time is separately for each event compared to the whole shebang.
Felt good on the run, I was really pushing it, have never trained that fast, never thought I'd see and 8:08 split, that was cool.

I realize it would bode me well to try and actually "train" on running, like doing some intervals...which I don't like or at least start trying to finish runs on the last mile faster than the rest of the run just to see what I can handle and get used to speeding up and staying there.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around, stretched a little ate banana,grapes,bagle, tiny taco. Hung out with folks, talking times and races. By the time I got home was soooo famished, ate a bunch of chicken and pasta va zule and sauce, oh yummy, hit the spot. Had recoverite when I got home b/c forgot to have it after race, doi.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Could train more and harder I'm sure but I don't want this to become unfun.

Event comments:

Well, it would have been a great race if we could have done the swim, bummer but it really wasn't safe. Also, they shortend the bike AND the run so that wasn't cool but I guess they couldn't figure a way to lengthen it b/c of construction, oh well. I was able to up the ante b/c of the shortened distance and that certainly worked in my faver so that was fun. Looking forward to the Emmett race to see what I can do in a real oly, that's where the rubber meets the road.

Last updated: 2011-02-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/172
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:55:18 | 18.4 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 104/172
Performance: Good
Unfortunately didn't actually start my G-305, ugh, so I don't have the saved data but I looke at HR a few times and kept it around 165-170
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Well, we started up at the dam and it was freakin' windy up there and all down the big hill, scary, guys were flying by me; I also felt pushed around by the wind going down, ugh, so glad to get below. Course wasn't too hilly except that first part past warm springs so I was able to push it harder, plus the course was shortened b/c of constructions and only had to ride 18miles....they billed it at 20 but that's not what my cateye said.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:05 | 05 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/8
Overall: 104/172
Performance: Good
So I don't know what the deal is but my garmin says we ran 5.04 miles...of course that's a little past finish line but the time is 40:57 which is a 8:08 split, I like that much better :)....and that was when I finially pressed stop after breathing in place for a few seconds just to get my bearings.
Course: beautiful greenbelt, flat along the river.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-09 5:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Spudman Triathlon

2011-07-09 10:00 PM
in reply to: #3588378

Veteran
Subject: RE: Spudman Triathlon
Great race!  You killed it on the run!!  
2011-07-10 12:15 PM

User image

Elite
Boise
Great job Deirde. You're getting fast.
2011-07-22 5:50 PM

User image

Good job on the race, you really killed the run great job. Fun read on the RR
2011-08-20 9:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Thanks guys!! (I just realized there were coments, I'm soo computer savvy)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spudman Triathlon Rss Feed