World Triathlon Corporation
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 41m 28s
Overall Rank = 593/1530
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 84/213
Pre-race routine:

I rode to Muncie with David (David Tri's). We stayed at the camp grounds close to the race site. In order to get a decent parking spot at the race site, we got up at 4:30 a.m. and drove his RV to the site and went back to sleep for a while. Our race wasn't starting until almost 9:00 a.m., so there was no reason to rush. Got up at about 6:45 a.m., walked our bikes to transition, came back and had some breakfast, then headed over to get ready to race.
Event warmup:

Nothing. I just watched the other waves start. Totally off topic, but I was surprised to be the only person wearing a BT tri top.
Swim
  • 42m 18s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m / 100 yards
Comments:

This was my first OWS race without a wetsuit. I know that I always have somewhat of a panic attack on the swim, and the fact that I wasn't in my wetsuit made me a little nervous. However, once we started I was so comfortable and was having such a good time that I forgot to freak out....oh darn! I really enjoyed each and every minute of this swim. The water was perfect. I am a bit dissapointed with my swim time. I'm definitely faster than this, but then again, i'm not used to swimming with 50 other people in my lane either.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 03m 6s
Comments:

I was in no real hurry here. It was a long run from the swim exit to transition and I just wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything.

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 47m 3s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I didn't come into this race with a taper. It's a tune-up race for IM Louisville. With that being said, I had no real plans of trying to set any type of record.......that was until I started riding. I was surprised at how fast I was going at the start, so I decided to push it a little bit. That turned into pushing even harder in an attempt to see what I had.

We hit the first turn and I quickly realized why I was going to fast in the beginning....a tailwind. I was now in a cross to headwind. The wind changed with the turns, but for approx. the last 20 miles we had a tailwind again. I was cruising along at 20-27 mph. I knew going this fast for that long was going to ramp up my average pace, and I wanted to see what I could do. As we made the turn off of the main course, I looked and saw my avg pace was over 20 mph. I didn't want that to drop, so I pucshed really hard to the end. I was happy with my performance on the bike, but nervous of what it would do for my run.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Again, I wasn't in any real hurry here.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 05m 51s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fantastic at the begining of this run. I started out running in the low 8's, which I knew was way too fast. I slowed down a bit and ran a pace that was comfortable. I didn't care what it was, just as long as it felt like I could run it all day. I was taking advantage of each and every aid station as far as fluids and sponges. That worked great and I continued to feel really good until the turn-around.

At that point I was getting hotter and felt I drank too much. I also realized that I had not urinated all race, which is not common for me in races. I usually have to pee so bad when I get off the bike, but I didn't have to. I chalked it up to the salt tabs and kept on going.

By mile 8, I started to decline a bit. It got progressively worse with each mile that went by. I wanted to walk so bad, but I wouldn't allow myself to actually do it. I knew I would be close to a PR, so I wanted to keep going and see if I could do it.

With about a mile and half to go, I saw a guy on the side of the road who was out cold and being treated by a mdeic. I remember thinking how bad that would suck and how unfair it is to come all that way and not be able to finish.

They sure do have a sense of humor with the big hill right before you exit the road and down to the finish. That was a smoker! I was really happy to get to the finish and gave a fist pump as I crossed.

I looked down at my watch and hit the stop button......5:41 and some change, which was a PR for me at this distance by 7 minutes. I was really happy with that.

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and talked to a few guys from my tri group who also did the race. I found David, got some food, walked around a bit then left for home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and rolling hills on the run

Event comments:

This was my first Ironman brand race. I was impressed with the show of volunteers.....almost matched the number of volunteers with participants! That's pretty awesome.

Last updated: 2010-12-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:18 | 2112 yards | 02m / 100yards
Age Group: 0/213
Overall: 608/1530
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Giant rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:47:03 | 56 miles | 20.11 mile/hr
Overall: 706/1530
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Several out-and-backs
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:05:51 | 13.1 miles | 09m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 619/1530
Performance: Good
Course: Out-and-back, rolling to slightly hilly
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-10 11:34 AM

User image

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

2011-07-10 6:58 PM
in reply to: #3588983

User image

Regular
Cincinnati
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Muncie

Saw you and David and sorry didn't introduce myself - noticed the BT top - I was busy getting some grub.

Well it was a rough day out there but I am sure it was a good practice for IMKY. 

I am headed down for 2 more practice runs on the IMKY course.  Today they had 98 degrees on the practice ride! Hope the remainder of your taining goes well and I am sure we run into eachother again soon! 

2011-07-10 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Nice race, and that's awesome that you "forgot to freak out"!  Well played, sir.
2011-07-10 8:41 PM

User image

Regular
Muncie
Good job on the race. I live in Muncie and do most of the other races there at Prairie Creek. Most times the bike is counter clockwise so you get the big hill on the bike too. Good luck in Kentucky.
2011-07-11 10:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio

Dude! Nice PR! What a nice feeling to have heading into IMKY.

2011-07-11 5:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great race!  It was nice seeing you and David on Friday!  looking forward to seeing you in louisville.  You are going to rock it!

2011-07-13 7:37 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Great Race! I totally saw you in your BT kit but had no idea it was you, or else I would have introduced myself. Hope to meet you next month in Louisville.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Muncie Rss Feed