HFP Racing
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 20m 8s
Overall Rank = 59/315
Age Group = XL2
Age Group Rank = 2/11
Pre-race routine:

Bagel, Yogurt, Powerbar. Had an egg and cheese wrap from Tim Hortons on the way down which may have been my demise, or dinner last night, who knows.
Event warmup:

No real warm-up. For the first few miles on the bike, my legs were telling me I really should have warmed up.
Swim
  • 11m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had to climb through some traffic at the beginning and just kinda stood there for a second waiting for a clearing to dive in. Then I spent the next minute climbing over everyone to get to the front.
What would you do differently?:

I really need to start at the front of the wave I'm in. I know I'm consistently one of the fastest swimmers, so there's no excuse not to.
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Tried to do the cap and goggles in the wetsuit sleeve trick, and apparently they fell out. Some nice person ran up to me on my way into T1 and gave them to me. Felt slow getting my cycling shoes on, had a lot of gravel and sand to get off my feet.

Need to learn to start with my shoes on the bike. Might require new shoes, or removing the tongues off of my shoes though.
Bike
  • 39m 33s
  • 13.67 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I might have drank too much given the GI distress on the run, but who knows. I think I could have powered more on some of the hills than I did.

Push harder up those hills, don't back down.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

T2 felt very fast. I can't believe it was 1:15 seconds. Went with no socks for the run this time too.

I probably could have been quicker getting into my shoes.
Run
  • 26m 6s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My stomach was sloshing around like crazy the first 1.5-2 miles. I had a few moments I thought I might puke, but I survived. After mile 2, things felt better and I felt I had a good kick to the finish. I had another Clyde in my sights and picked him off without about 1/2 mile to go.

Not eat whatever I ate the night before and this morning. Ate dinner much later than usual, and then followed it up with some ice cream even later. I'm sure that, plus the Tim Hortons for breakfast all combined to give me problems on the run.

Push harder on the hills on the bike. Since this was a sprint, I think I need to dial it in faster on the run earlier.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on STAR teammates, drank some cold liquids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

GI distress, mental weakness.

Event comments:

Race was ran very well. They probably should have stationed a volunteer at the first fork on the bike route, as I saw a couple people on my way back in that turned left where they should have gone straight, and were starting to do the bike course in reverse. A volunteer there probably would have helped those riders. I was glad I looked at the course ahead of time, so I knew that I went straight at Wilson Road, and would come back through there later. There were a lot of conflicting marks on the roads from other area races too. Not HFP's problem, but just 1 more volunteer at that intersection would have helped a lot of people I'm sure.

Last updated: 2011-02-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:40 | 820 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/11
Overall: 12/315
Performance: Good
10:00 from the start until I got out of the water, so 1:50 to run up the long sidewalk to T1.
Suit: Xterra Vector Pro 3
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:33 | 13.67 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 53/315
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Lollipop course on roads north of the beach. First couple miles each way there was a little bit of a section of rough road, but the rest of the ride was smooth. Mostly rollers and a couple short climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:06 | 03.11 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/11
Overall: 124/315
Performance: Below average
Mile 1: 8:23 Mile 2: 8:02 Mile 3.1: 9:41 I think Mile marker 2 was not in the right location, since I definitely felt much faster in Mile 3 than Mile 2, whereas these splits would put me at a 8:48 pace for the last 1.1 miles.
Course: Out and back, slightly uphill the first 1/2 mile, then leveled out into the open along an old levy with gravel, turn around and head home. Nice downhill to finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes