General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenwood Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenwood Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race - CycleRoad Race

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greenwood, Wisconsin
United States
WIsport
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 72/111
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 8/13
Pre-race routine:

Coffee at the farm, Packed up camping gear and loaded the car
Event warmup:

Road out the course a ways up a couple hills. I did a couple of hard efforts to get my HR up close to 160
Bike
  • 1h 52m 48s
  • 38.38 miles
  • 20.41 mile/hr
Comments:

My hope was fro a moderate paced start but to no avail. The Big Boys took it to the max right out of the chute.

I was almost popped off the back at the top of the first hill but I fought like a dog to get back on before the rest. By the time we hit the first turn things were stretching out and two groups were forming (in front of me not sure what was happening behind).

My group (#2) was pretty chaotic. People would rotate off the front but instead of drifting all the way back they would "squeeze" in about 5-7 riders back. I think the plan was to try a whittle some people off by keeping the pace up but I am not sure.

At the corner where we turned to the west I was 4th wheel. I dipped down low and shot off with a short sprint. My intent was to maybe get a small break going with guys that knew what we were doing. The first hill (about a 1/4 mile later) they let the pack back on.

When we turned north we had a nice tail wind and the pace ramped up again. We were cresting hills at over 20 and cruising at 26-27. Near the end of this section there are two larger hills. I kept getting dropped on the down hill. The first hill I got back on by the crest, they 2nd I was 20 feet off. It was official - I was dropped.

I kept my pace up as I time trialed and watch the pack ever so slowly pull away. We turned on to MM and hit the hills. The gap grew substantially there.

I could see as they started up the last of the big hills another rider had been dropped. He was about a mile and half up and I wondered if I could catch him. I now had a rabbit.

I ever so slowly gained ground over that last hill and then into the head wind (and slow uphill section) that took us back to the Bridge road from which the park park entrance came.

For a while I thought I was going to be able to surprise him as he wasn't looking back. With about 200 yds on the gap to go he finally did look back. He tried to ramp it up but did have it. I was getting excited.

At the top of the last hill (just before the bridge and park entrance) I caught him. He told me he was cooked, I counter with I was cramping (as I was at the top of every climb).

As I passed he jumped on my wheel. He wasn't going to go down easy.

We rounded the turn into the park entrance and he bolted from behind me. I knew this was a mistake. I didn't even grab his wheel but let him gap me just a little. There was still was 2 miles to the finish.

When the finish line came into sight I started to ramp it up. About 100 yds from the finish I passed him and knocked it down another gear. With my head down I was giving it everything I had. If he were to beat me he was going to earn it.

Soem people said we crossed the finish doing 30. According to the chip I was about 1 sec in front of him. And thus ended the race for 8th place in our age group.

What would you do differently?:

Not much - drop the extra 10 pounds I'm carrying.
Post race
Warm down:

Just about wiped out some guys cooling down with our hard finish. Rolled up to the car and off my bike. Had a coupe of beers and a great BBQ dinner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Physical limitations. If I could have held on to the group longer I could have finished better

Last updated: 2011-07-04 12:00 AM
Biking
01:52:48 | 38.38 miles | 20.41 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 72/111
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice rural roads. Rolling country with a couple of good hills on the northside
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-10 2:32 PM

User image

Expert
Delano, MN
Subject: Greenwood Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenwood Dairy Days 38 Bicycle Race Rss Feed