General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Fly Tri - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Black Fly Tri - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waterville Valley, New Hampshire
United States
Endorfun Sports
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 52s
Overall Rank = 363/424
Age Group = CLYDESDALE
Age Group Rank = 9/13
Pre-race routine:

went down and got registered. back to the room to get dressed and get my numbers set up. had some fruit, some lil bites muffins. no coffee, had gu chomps about 30 minutes before my start time. putting on HR monitor after the swim this time to see how that goes.
Event warmup:

stretched in the room prior to going back down to transition. after transition set up. I did a light jog of about 5 minutes. didn't get on the bike, didn't have enough time. wanted to get in the water. swam for about 15 minutes. new goggles work great.
Swim
  • 00m 35s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

good start. swam to first turn buoy. had to slow up, the turn was very congested. I saw Tammy and Myles on the bridge cheering me so I waved and called out to them.

Navigation was good. arms got tired due to no swim training
What would you do differently?:

need to get in the pool and swim. zero swim training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

they had wetsuit strippers so that probably saved me another minute.

ran to the strippers, ran to my bike. felt a little slow in this transition for some reason. had to put my HR monitor on, but didn't have any real issues with that. I did have a problem putting GU packs in my back pocket.

not sure. GU packs either in the bento box, or in pockets before race to save time. HR monitor on before race, HR didn't register the whole race.
Bike
  • 1h 16m 54s
  • 21 miles
  • 16.38 mile/hr
Comments:

got to the turn around in 30 min. did well pushing the downhill. had an issue on the uphill after the first turn. changed gears the wrong way. put it in too hard a gear, and had to get off and walk. lost about 4 minutes.

PRACTICE HILLS! Living in a flat area doesn't help, but I was bad at hills before.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

felt a little awkward getting off, but the volunteer said i did a good job. Getting better at this transition. Last two races, same time. Much better. Had a slight issue, putting my running shoes on.

need to arrange transition a bit better. put my wetsuit on my bag, but that was right over my run shoes, the right one was wet before I got to run.

Not much else. getting better at this transition.
Run
  • 51m 52s
  • 5 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

think i started off too fast. got a side stitch before mile 1. stopped and walked for about 2 minutes. then started back up. felt much better. pretty good run had to walk up the two hills on each way out.

could have gotten some longer runs in during training. but this is the longest run of my season.

finished real strong. kept a good pace to the finish. saw tammy and myles. Myles rang the cowbell for me, ran well right through the finish.

I don't think not bringing my new water bottle for the run impacted much. couldn't sip water throughout the run, had to stop at aid stations.

not much for the run. maybe start training with 5-6 mile runs, but do more speed work to get faster.

Post race
Warm down:

very hot afterwards. drank a gatorade and water after, ate some food. walked around town square. stretched a tiny bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of hill training on the bike. did good on the downhills, but uphills, I had no push. Couldn't climb much out of the saddle, and wasn't turning very fast seated.

Event comments:

good race. only complaint is the food in the restaurants right in town square isn't great. great location. it's nice having everything right there.

Last updated: 2011-01-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:35 | 440 yards | 02m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 349/424
Performance: Average
Suit: Vortex
Course: almost a fool loop around the pond.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:16:54 | 21 miles | 16.38 mile/hr
Overall: 350/424
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: a lollipop out and back. downhill on the way out, and uphill on the way back.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:51:52 | 05 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Overall: 377/424
Course: an out and back.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 7:37 AM

New user

Subject: Black Fly Tri - International Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Fly Tri - International Distance Rss Feed