General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 15s
Overall Rank = 81/184
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/16
Pre-race routine:

ate a PBJ and an apple and had some tea - hopped in the car and drove 25 minutes - got there early enough to actually run a little and swim a little and relax.
Swim
  • 24m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Although I dont wear a watch or HR monitor when I race I could tell this was a good swim. I was the first in my wave to the buoy. Everything was went well - sighting, rounding. The only issues I had were the suit was getting uncomfortably warm and my shoulders were tired about 500 meters in from wearing the suit.
What would you do differently?:

buy a sleeveless suit? perhaps swim this one bare?
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

There is a fairly long run to T1. I didnt want to waste my good swim vibe by walking so I ran to T1. By the time I got there I was breathing really hard and on top of that I had issues getting the suit off my timing chip ankle.

aside from stripping by the water side to make the run easier not much really.
Bike
  • 1h 14m 18s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.07 mile/hr
Comments:

just about where I was last year. Considering the issues with the bike in the last month (namely crashing and killing myself) I cant be too upset. I just dont seem to have the top end speed that everyone else does. Oh well, improving on the bike takes time in the saddle which is something I wont ever really have the time for.

not much
Transition 2
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

this went great. undid shoes about 1/2 mile out and came in with a pack of five guys. I was able to leap from the bike at a run and lose nothing while they all stopped at the dismount line and ran in their shoes.

nothing
Run
  • 1h 00m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I sped out of T2 at a nice clip. I knew with my good swim vibe and and not ultra horrible bike I was in position with an average run to break 2:30. The first 3 miles went as normal - I was passing people and not getting passed. I didnt feel super great but was still trucking along. After the turnaround and a little bit past the first aid station I felt a burp. However it was not a burp. I did a full on heave ho into the bushes. I then had to run another quarter mile or so to the next water station. After that everything fell apart. I felt queasy and had cold sweats and my heart rate jumped super high anytime I tried to run. So I got to walk the last half of the race. That was miserable - the heat and sun and the general yuckiness. The worst part of it was watching people pass me and knowing I blew a chance at a PR.

Not sure what caused the upchuck as I had the same foods and drinks for my previous 10 races.
Post race
Warm down:

getting a coke , gathering my gear and leaving

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I should title this one "I should have done the Sprint". I think with my ankle injury that took the first 3 months of the year away from running and my recent bike crashed robbed me of my run base. This time last year I was consistently getting in runs of 6+ miles at least 2 times a week. I think I have exceeded that distance about 5 times in the last 2 months.

Event comments:

Cons : yakking it up on the run (both literally and figuratively with respect to my chance at a PR)

Pros : new swim PR , bike isnt too far away from last year despite diminished training , new fun story to tell

Last updated: 2011-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 40/184
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: double rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:14:18 | 24.85 miles | 20.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 86/184
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: rolling out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:07
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:29 | 06.21 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/16
Overall: 81/184
Performance: Bad
Course: double out and back over and earthwork dam.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course

2011-07-11 7:59 AM
in reply to: #3589923

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course
I'm sure the heat on the run didn't help. It was HOT up on the dam!

JC
2011-07-11 9:20 AM
in reply to: #3589923

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course
On the bright side Captain UpChuck, you set a new swim PR, that's rad and you can fill that in by your goals on your training log Nice swim!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed