General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Grand Haven, Michigan
United States
Grand Haven Triathlon, LLC.
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 03m 2s
Overall Rank = 212/220
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 8/8
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:00, 40 minute drive to event, arrived at bike transition area about 6:50. Set up bike area, headed out to swim start and warmed up. Looked around nervously. Prayed water would feel warmer than 67 degrees. Two quick trips to men room. Received encouragement from wife and other athletes waiting for the start.
Event warmup:

Walked 3/4 mile. Stretching. Walked some more.
Swim
  • 16m 27s
  • 547 yards
  • 03m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seems like the Clydesdale group is not included in the overall. Looking through the overall, I was faster than about 12 people in this leg. out of 212.
What would you do differently?:

Wouldn't hang to the back so much at the start. Being my first one, didn't want to get mixed into a mess. Need more OWS practice. Also, for the 1/2 mile to the first transition, I think I can easily cut 5 minutes off. I really took my time rinsing feet and and putting on socks and I walked the 100 yards to my shoes rather than jogging. I looked around and did enjoy my self though!
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I am a little shocked it took this long. Seems like I ate a banana, put on my helmet, chatted a second with a couple other racers and I was off. I had already put on my shoes and socks. I walked rather than ran with bike to the start point which is about 75 yards away. The bike mounting area was on an uphill incline so I was delayed a little getting my shoes into my shoe clips.

Jog into transition area rather than walk. Jog out of transition rather than walk. Eat banana on the move rather than standing by my bike. Practice running and jumping on bike.
Bike
  • 51m 50s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 14.39 mile/hr
Comments:

Seems like the Clydesdale group is not included in the overall. Looking through the overall, I was faster than about 12 people in this leg. out of 212. (Same as the swim). I had to walk the last 20 yards of the last steep hill at about the 11 mile mark and took me a little time to get back on the bike and get going again. Need to do more biking and hills.

Jog bike in and out of transition. Push a little harder. I was concerned about legs for run, turns out it was a good concern. Shifted wrong a couple of times, but didn't cost me too much. Probably need to look at a road or Tri bike in order to improve times drastically.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Since I ride in my running shoes the only way to improve here is get in better shape so that I can run with the bike and start running quicker into the run segment. I walked through the transition and started running after I got to the out chute.

Jog in and jog out of transition.
Run
  • 38m 2s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Looks like I only beat about 6 people on the run. Definitely need some work here. My wind was OK, need to work on the mental side and leg conditioning. Legs felt really heavy and I had some cramping in the upper back, lower neck area that was bothersome. Probably should have stopped and used the mens room, but wanted to keep moving. It got very hot by the beginning of the run. Must have been 80+. Noticed I was at 1:26:00 when I started my run and thinking that I needed a 34 minute run to break 2 hours and at the point I thought I could do it. When I got to the 2 mile mark and figured I needed a 10 minute mile to finish my mind said you can do it, but at the same time I was a little deflated and knew that I wasn't going to do it. I smiled a lot through the swim and bike and the first mile of the run, but had a hard time from there on.

More run conditioning. Was running 32 - 34 in practice runs, but just didn't have anything left. As I improve my conditioning, I will be able to push a little harder.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel around neck, drank 1/2 of cold water and pored the rest over my head. Smiled a lot and accepted congrats from lots of people hanging around. Waled around a little, but basically ignored the rules for a proper cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me. Not preparing as well as I had hoped.

Event comments:

The first one is done, time to get a little serious and improve overall performance. Need to keep having fun too. Three years ago I was 40 pounds heavier and was out of breath doing yard work. This past two months I did a lot of digging, landscaping, dirt and rock hauling, wood splitting and stacking, and rarely got sore or out of breath! Life is good at 51! Thank you BT and mentor group for the resource I needed to get-r-done!

Last updated: 2011-07-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:27 | 547 yards | 03m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/8
Overall: 0/220
Performance: Average
The event lists my time as 30:03, I put my actual time from start to out of water for calculation purposes. This is very skewed. My actual time in the water was 16:27. After exiting the water, it is over 1/2 mile to the bike area. I stopped, rinsed sand from my feet, put on shoes and socks, then jogged to the bike transition.That makes my pace 3 minutes per 100 yds., which isn't too bad for me in the waves we had.In the pool, I have been doing between 2:30 and 2:45 per 100 yds.
Suit: none
Course: Lake Michigan shore line at Grand Haven State Park beach. About 40 yards straight out from beach, swim parallel to beach in about 7'-10' depth water, swimming northward toward the pier. Return about 40 yards to beach. 40-50 more yards of sand to get to the board walk and 1/2 mile to the bike transition from there.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 67F / 19C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:51:50 | 12.43 miles | 14.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/8
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: From GH Y out to Lake Shore Drive. Down and back course. Couple of short killer hills at the start and then on the return. Rolling hills through the rest of course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:38:02 | 03.1 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/8
Performance: Below average
Course: Mostly flat along Grand Haven board walk past marina, over water and then return back by same route. Killer hill for last 1/4 mile then slightly down hill for final 100 yards.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 8:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Sparta
Subject: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course

2011-07-11 10:13 PM
in reply to: #3590046

User image

Pro
Baton Rouge area
Subject: RE: Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course
David - Congrats!!!! Nice Job!!
2011-07-11 11:01 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis

Great job!  Seeing fitness improvements makes all the training worth it, like doing yard work and not needing a recovery day.  

I'm glad you smiled a lot at your tri (I was beaming at mine even though the weather was miserable and I hurt).  It is a huge accomplishment specially if you figure less than 0.1% of the population do triathlon's, even if you don't meet your goals, you are in the top 0.1%.

2011-07-11 11:31 PM

Champion
No excuses!
Great job, hard work is paying off. Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Grand Haven Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed