San Angelo Road Lizards
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 19m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Drove to San Angelo the day before. Stayed at the Microtel suites. Very nice, comfortable, and affordable. I'd recommend for those coming from out of town.

Woke up at 5:00 to eat. Had 2 Kashi bars and a fruit leather and finished a bottle of water. Arrived at Lake Nasworthy at 6:15am and checked bike tires at the van before heading over to set up transition. Was able to get a good rack position on the end of the rack with a straight shot to the exit/entrance.

This race does not have time chips, and I did not have a GPS or watch, so I really have no idea of my time splits :(
Event warmup:

Light jog, 10 minutes. Walked down to the beach to double check the swim route.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 274 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I felt my swim was great! the first wave was for the more experienced racers and the second wave was for beginners. Since it was only my second race I considered myself a beginner but I was one of the first beginners out of the water. My navigation was great, no major corrections.
What would you do differently?:

Perhaps would have been better off in the back of the 1st wave since I had to pass so many people in the second wave. Clear mask was awesome.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I pulled bike shorts over my swim suit, put helmet, socks, runners, gloves, glasses on and off I went. T1 was smooth.

I would like to have a tri suit for my next race. Keep things simple! Also I had my hair braided in 2 french braids but didn't try my helmet on with my hair braided until that moment. Because my hair was raised my chin strap was choking me. Had to try to loosen it on the bike enough to breathe easily.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 10 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I had a great start on the bike. Was breathing harder than I would have liked so worked on getting my breathing back into check for the first mile or two. Fairly easy, fast course.

Take all the hydration you'll need. Only a 1/4 mile of anything resembling shade. One water station at the turn around.

Mountain bikes in a road race suck! It was discouraging getting passed so much because I felt like I was working so much harder on the MTB. Amanda passed me right before the turn around and I could not catch up to her on the bike.

BUYING A NEW ROAD BIKE!!!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Legs felt like jello. Stumbled racking my bike, got it on the 3rd time. Would have been quick except for that. Grabbed a drink.

Nothing. Having a light weight road bike will fix that problem!
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Legs felt good after getting out to the road from the transition. Caught up to Amanda on the run. She was struggling so I stayed with her to the finish. Only one water station at the turn around. Glad I grabbed a quick sip at T2. Water station ran out of cups so had to stop and pour water from the spout. Frustrating because it was uphill right after the water station. Didn't want to stop for water! Walked and ran.

Buy a belt so I can carry a small amount of hydration on me, just in case. No walking except the aid station.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around waiting for the other finishers. Light stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My bike would be #1. I hung back on the run to finish with Amanda as it was her first time. My goal for this race next year will be finish under an hour.

Event comments:

From my perspective the race seemed short on volunteers. The beach and grass area between the lake and T1 had litter and dog poop, so you had to watch where you were stepping.

Was shocked at the amount of road kill on the ride. Ride was fairly boring, nothing to see except the road kill! Was grateful to have local law enforcement patrolling the road because there were people honking at the cyclists.

Run course road was very poor. No local support on the course. Ran past the trailer park. No scenery either.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2011-07-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 274 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: TYR swimsuit
Course: A triangular course out to a lake bouy (not clearly marked or distinguished from any of the other bouys), to another bouy and then back to the beach at an angle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 10 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Out and back on a chip seal highway. Very flat over all, nothing I would consider a "hill". Lots of disgusting road kill on the road and in the ditch.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Below average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Gently rolling on poor asphalt road. The road is very, VERY uneven with potholes. It is also a fairly narrow road with a fair amount of traffic, no shoulders.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No