Team Mossman
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 44s
Overall Rank = 37/575
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 5/70
Pre-race routine:

Well, went and volunteered the day before for the Kids Tri, what a blast!! Went home and cooked and cleaned for the rest of the day for the BBq after the race.

woke up at 3am before the alarm, got out of bed and got ready. Bag was packed the night before so i loaded up my drinks and rode down to race site.
Event warmup:

5 mile ride to location. when i got there, there was no volunteer for body marking, so i grabbed a sharpie and strted things till the volunteers got going. before race i did a 200m swim.
Swim
  • 14m 14s
  • 805 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

Well, i need to swim more, went out really hard to get out front and my swimming was not there, i started gasping and going backwards fast, at the first turn buoy i got a little outside and tangled and got punched in the face, i still have a bruise...HELLO!!!!!...i was actually dazed a bit, and was a little foggy. I finally got into a rhythm but i was way left and had a hard time getting back right, there was no one swimming where i was and my stroke is all screwed up. Way wide on last buoy, bring it home and severely disappointed at swim time when i looked at watch. horrible swim, all my fault for not swimming enough.

2009 12m31s
2010 12m32s
2011 14m14s
What would you do differently?:

swim more, go back to basics with drills and intervals
Transition 1
  • 00m 54s
Comments:

Into T1, had a great race spot, stripped, stomped, helmet on, shoes on, bike unracked, off to the races.

nothing
Bike
  • 30m
  • 12.5 miles
  • 25.00 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal was to win the bike split for the whole field, I achieved my goal. It was not the ride I wanted, i just have not been feeling "it" like i was in June, this course really sets up well for me in terms of terrain, but i just couldn't get in the zone, i danced tantalizingly around it, but never got into it. It all started one day in Tri camp, there was this girl with a flute....HA!!! Gotchya!!! In trans I was at the closest end to bike in and swim in, which meant that i had to run the entire length of trans with my bike, the transition went really well, no issues, smooth and fast, as i am running out a girl comes out from the left and cuts me off, so i had to slow my running, then she goes wide and clips my front wheel and puts my bike into the catch fence...ARRRGGGHHH, are you freaking watching where you are going?? so i get to mount line and run through and hop on, and then could not get clipped in, i have done this a million times, sometimes it is just not your day. After finally getting clipped i head out and start passing a few guys from my wave, moving really well jno0 big issues, not much traffic at this point, heading back into the beach i am behind some cars, there is police and volunteers directing traffic to the right lane, this lady is ignoring them all as i appraoch her, i get out of aero just in time for her to swerve in front of me, if i was in aero i woulda broadsided her, scream at her, cop and volunteer is yelling at her, total jackass, come through park for end of lap 1, now we hit traffic, as the other waves are filtering out to go on their first laps, it is really congested and there are people all over the place, i am passing and dodging , there is a ton of blocking and riding left, i am screaming 100 meters out "ON YOUR LEFT!!!!!" most move over, but i get to this one group that is 4 people wide, with the Team in Training girl going 10mph on the far left, i call out OYL, she does not move, i get closer OYL!!!! still no response, she is freaking daydreaming, i finally get to her and she is now on the yellow line, i am forced to pass on the right, between her and the other riders, as i go by i scream at her, GET TO THE RIGHT you are blocking, she says something pretentious and i am gone. I catch one of my Target training buddies and go by him, all of a sudden i have 2 shadows...i am like WTF?? He is pretty close to my wheel, we get to a small hill, he goes by, i follow up and around people we make a left and right go down a hill and around a fast corner, i line him up and go by him again, he gets on me again.....next hill he goes past me and I let him, up once, sdown the other side and drag race home, I keep him in my sights till the top, jump on it over the hill and 38mph down the other side, get him right at the bottom of the hill, left turn, left turn, i am 3 bike lengths back, get on the straight and pass him for the last time, he tried to stay with me the whole way back at a reasonable distance and "AWESOME FLYING DISMOUNT" with him right on my heals and into T2. After the race i approached him on it, he said he was keeping 3 bikes away, i dunno, he seemed a little close, but whatever.

2009 32m50s
2010 32m13s this course was a mile longer
2011 30m00s

i dunno, how can i complain, i had the fastest bike split, yet didn't seem to have my "A" game. I guess i will just STFU and take it for what it is.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

nothing unusual, in, racked, shoes on, grab frozen bottle and race belt and out the door i go. With a small gap over my buddy Max.

nothing
Run
  • 22m 58s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

This will be short, finally, LOL. Get out of T2 and 100 meters up Max finally passes me.... for good. he runs 18's, i run 23's, game over there, lol. I am 17th out of trans on the course, i feel great, HR is high, legs feel good, it is time to HTFU or GTFH, i opted for the former. Unlike past race reports, other than Max, it took almost 1.5 miles for someone else to pass me, a total of 7 guys passed me, 1 girl...yup...chicked again, as she goes by i say, "damn, i got chicked again" she laughed as she went by and she was flying. Unfortunately #5 and 6 were M40-44, and i knew my buddy Pete was up the road as i saw him when we crossed, although i was much closer to him in the past (he wound up 4th OA and won M40-44) So it put me just out of podium. I did all i could to keep pace, i just could not make up any ground on those 2, it ended up a sprint between them for what ended up being 3rd, a guy messed his USAT age up and went out in a different wave and was adjusted later. None the less i was just outside the podium again. I knew i had run to the best of my ability as i could taste blood and wanted to throw up as i crossed the finish line. friends going out or finishing their bikes were yelling, it is a really neat race. I do not even remember my gal pal Kelly taking off my time chip, i had no idea. Grabbed some water and tried to not throw up. Found my friends and watched for a while.

2009 26m14s
2010 25m03s
2011 22m58s

nothing, completely satisfied, good run, PR and broke 23mins for the first time ever.
Post race
Warm down:

hung out, got some food, chatted with friends and rode home to start the Rudedog's BeerBQ version 3.0

What limited your ability to perform faster:

nothing

Event comments:

past overall results

2009 1h 13m 23s 118/632 20/78 M40-44
2010 1h 11m 21s 44/575 6/70 M40-44
2011 1h 08m 44s 37/575 5/70 M40-44

Last updated: 2011-01-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:14 | 805 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/70
Overall: 0/575
Performance: Bad
Suit: Neosport Sprint Sleeveless
Course: rectangular along beachfront
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:54
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:30:00 | 12.5 miles | 25.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/70
Overall: 1/575
Wind: Some
Course: P shaped 2 loop course, mostly flat, i short steep climb, 1 1/3 mile climb
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:58 | 03.11 miles | 07m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 27/70
Overall: 0/575
Course: big ole' loop of the park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 12:40 PM

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: SoBe Mossman Triathlon

2011-07-11 1:28 PM
in reply to: #3590722

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: RE: SoBe Mossman Triathlon
Dude way to beast the bike! It's funny what other people's idea of "3 bikes" is most of the time.  And a shiner as a keepsake! Those are the best swims!
2011-07-11 1:53 PM

Stamford, CT
faster and faster!!! way to be!!
2011-07-11 8:42 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Blazing speed going there, RUUUUUUU DEEEEEEE!!!
2011-07-12 8:18 AM

User image

Veteran
New York

Top notch performance Rudy!!  Your blazing speed on the bike and that DISC!!!!  it made me dizzy watching you fly by! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SoBe Mossman Triathlon Rss Feed