High Sierra Tri Club
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 21m 29s
Overall Rank = 96/147
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5:30 to head from camp to transition, dropped off gear and set up spot. Headed back to camp and ate breakfast. I realized that the stomach bug I had for the last few days hadn't resolved. I still felt slightly sick to my stomach. I should have set the medication out the night before but I didn't and now I was in trouble. My husband came to my rescue and managed to find the pepto after trips back and forth to transition. I downed the pepto and pulled my wetsuit on with 5 minutes to spare (way too close). Major race day mistake. I should have been prepared, this was 100% my fault.
Event warmup:

Running back and forth to transition looking for pepto bismol.
Swim
  • 24m 36s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well. I tried to focus on staying calm and breath. I wasn't trying to swim fact, just stay relaxed at altitude (7600 ft). I managed to navigate well and was pleased with my overall performance, new 1500m PR. Staying relaxed was a good choice. 2 min improvement from the last time I did this course.
What would you do differently?:

Get to altitude earlier so everything is easier.
Transition 1
  • 02m 6s
Comments:

Transition went really well. There is a run up the beach and through transition. I had racked near bike out so once everything was ready getting out went fairly easy.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 28m 15s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I climbed out of tranisition and started the downhill around the loop. I grabbed my water bottle and took a swig of water. I spit up the water. I wasn't able to keep all the water down. I was spitting up breakfast and started to become very concerned. My HR was low as I was heading downhill but I realized that the pepto I took prior to the start may have, along with the stomach bug, prevented me from getting hydration or nutrition down. I kept trying and did my best to stay calm. About 45 minutes into the bike I managed to get a gel and some water down. I took in gatorade and water and got 24oz of fluid in, which was low for the dry conditions but was all that I was able to get down and keep down on the bike. I managed the 5 mile climb on the 395 better than the last time I climbed it. I improved my time on this course by almost 2 minutes.

Take the pepto earlier.
Transition 2
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

I was pleased with my transition. I had planned a little extra time because I wanted the security of my laces tied for the steep trail run to come.

Nothing, I've finally mastered the flying dismount this season and really enjoy the speed you get coming into transition.
Run
  • 1h 25m 3s
  • 6.68 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

I had stashed my fuel belt in my race bag and grabbed it on my way out. I was behind on nutrition and hydration and I wanted the extra water. I ran along the lake and part of the way up the first uphill then slowed to a walk/hike for the steep uphill portion to the road. My stomach was keeping down water with nuun and I was able to get a gel down with no stomach problems. I hit the road and ran the rollers to the turn up the fire road. I ran the fire road until it hit the single track then I started to hike with about 4 other racers. There were a couple places where you needed your arms to help climb up on rocks. Up, up, up we went. We topped out at about 8600 ft, the single track continued with views of peaks, ponds and flowers in bloom. It was beautiful. After hitting an aid station there was a great sign indicating a steep downhill with a picture of a guy falling head first down the mountain. Down, down, down we went. It was fast and fun bouncing from rock to rock. Near the bottom my legs got going so fast I was concerned I might fall but I hung in there. I managed to run the majority of the last 2.2 miles despite the uphill sections being quite slow. Hitting the last fire trail downhill I picked up a little speed to the finish. Slowest Olympic run but by far the most beautiful.

Head up to altitude earlier. The extra day helped but an extra week would be awesome.
Post race
Warm down:

I removed my shoes and waded into the lake with several other finishers. My legs were very happy with that decision. I grabbed some post race food. I was quite hungry and I gave some quinoa and vegetable salad, fruit, hummus and grilled chicken a try. I started with a little and after realizing that it was sitting well I had a bit more. I relaxed at the beach with some friends (including a BTer or two).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

9 minute PR over ther last time I did this course! I think I could go faster on this course next year with more specific training and getting up to altitude earlier.

Event comments:

I love this race. It's hard and the altitude adds to the challenge. The events are great and it is he most grassroots race I do each year. The race director is super friendly and loves her job. This race is very family friendly, they offer a kid's race too. This is my 3rd year back (2nd year doing the Olympic) and I will make an effort to come back as long as I can.

http://lavamagazine.com/features/the-toughest-race-in-the-most-beau...

Last updated: 2011-06-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:36 | 1640 yards | 01m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 60/147
Performance: Good
Suit: Full 2XU
Course: Rectangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:06
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:28:15 | 24.85 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/10
Overall: 0/147
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: The course follows the June Lake Loop with includes a 16 mile downhill with beautiful Alpine lakes and waterfalls along the way. The downhill portion is fun and you can easily clock speeds over 45MPH. The course turns onto highway 395 and starts the 5 mile over 1000ft. After the climb you turn back onto the loop and eventually make your way back to transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:25:03 | 06.68 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 102/147
Performance: Average
Course: Hilly course split between fire road, single track and road out up and over a peak (1000ft gain) and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 7:06 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: June Lake Triathlon

2011-07-11 10:36 PM
in reply to: #3591543

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: June Lake Triathlon

Awesome race Jessica! It was so great to see you and spend some time with you, Charlie and Jeni. I love this race too.

Hopefully I'll get to see you before next year. 

2011-07-12 4:42 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
You pulled off a 9+ minute PR on the course after starting the day with Pepto?  Amazing!!  Congrats!
2011-07-12 8:02 PM

User image

Payson, AZ
Nice job on the race.  Sounds like a course I'd love. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » June Lake Triathlon Rss Feed