General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Waynesville, Ohio
United States
HFP Racing
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 31s
Overall Rank = 52/184
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Drove the 15 min over to the park from home - ate a breakfast bar and granola cereal with my morning coffee.
Event warmup:

No major warmup, other than running back up to the transition just before it closed to get some more water - for some reason I was very thirsty. Not sure if it was nerves or dehydration at that point....found out the hard way on the run that it was the latter.
Swim
  • 25m 25s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim felt pretty comfortable. I have been swimming at the Caesar Creek beach for a few weeks now, so it was very similar to my training (but with less wave/chop). The first lap was uneventful as I started back & right of the wave - let the fasties beat each other up. The second lap I started passing a few people. My apologies to the person who turned to the right just in front of me and I swam over directly over their back.....took me totally by surprise. Anyway the finish seemed to be along before I knew it, distance seemed short to me for some reason.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. This is a personal best pace by like 20sec / 100yds....(I am guessing the course was short of 1640yds).
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Running from the beach to the transition, I followed a guy who - while running - slipped out of his wetsuit so fast that I couldnt believe it...like mid-stride! I have to learn that one. Once into transition I fought removing my wetsuit as the chip strap prevented me from clearing the wetsuit over my left ankle. Had to take the chip strap off and put it back on once the wetsuit was off.

Practice removing wetsuit over ankles - try wetsuit lube? I knew this was going to be a challenge, since even in training, I have trouble removing my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 1h 11m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.94 mile/hr
Comments:

Pretty good bike split -for me- over this distance. I did push myself here and consciously knew it would make for a tough run, but I wanted to see what I could do since I focused more on my bike training as of late. A few of the duathletes passed by me at alarming speed, but I reserved myself to "know thy limitations" and did not try to chase them down. Overall my descending was good with a max speed of 38mph - felt really smooth. Climbing is where I seemed to catch up with some folks, no means flying by them, but making up some ground.

Finished my bottle coming through the maintenance area on the way back in. I still really felt thirsty and knew that was not a good thing. Should have taken two bottles on the bike.

More time on the bike with more focused / specific training. I realize to reach the 22+ mph average pace will require more than just time in the saddle-random-riding. Overall I am pleased here - for now.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

Relatively good transition - but for some reason decided to take my shoes off at the dismount line. Probably a good decision as it was much easier to run barefooted, but I need to learn to take my feet out of the shoes while approaching T2.

Ride up to the dismount line with feet on top of shoes - just need to practice this to shave extra time.
Run
  • 52m 29s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

I knew this would be a challenge since I threw caution to the wind and pushed hard on the bike. Left T2 feeling pretty good - took a gu just outside of transition and carried a bottle of water with me to rinse it down. That first short hill always gives me an indication of what kind of run it would be - this one was telling me that it was going to be a tough day. I really enjoy trail running, but for some reason that grassy stretch across the dam is always like the devils kitchen to me. I could feel the heat escalating on the first lap and took every bit of water I could at the water station coming back in. Shed my shirt at the point where we turned left to continue on for another lap.

Starting the second lap I was really getting dehydrated. My pulse felt like it was elevated and had trouble catching my breath after topping the short hill. Mentally, I was really struggling with the temptation of walking to catch my breath. I couldnt understand why, since my pace was much slower than bricks in training and why I was struggling mentally to keep it together. Figured I would run until my body gave me a sign of some sort, which it did just past the 5mile mark, in the form of dizziness. Made it out and nearly back across the grassy dam, but lost the mental battle and slowed to a walk for about a 30sec on the last part of my grassy-trail-hell. Then gave it all I had up the small hill and back into the finish for the remaining 0.75miles or so.

Hydration - drink more. I started thirsty and paid for it - 'Nuf said. This is not rocket science.
Post race
Warm down:

Upon crossing the finish, it was all I could do to keep from puking on the eager youngster trying to take my timing-chip off. I somehow refrained from the embarrassment. Dizziness really hit me hard and I bet I looked like a drunken / half-naked weirdo. I truly had trouble walking straight. Put me anywhere else in that shape and I end up with public intox charges......but not as long as I am with 200 other half naked spandex wearing athletes.

Grabbed some sportsdrink.....turned out to be hot ...here we go again with the gag reflex. Ever try hot - I mean really hot - sportsdrink? Moved on over to grab a real Coke and never had a better ice-cold Coke in my life.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat took me by surprise and I failed to hydrate properly. I also started the day off under-hydrated which I should have recognized and modified my plan accordingly. I bet I could have doubled my hydration and still ended up dehydrated. Will need to figure all this out or else REV3 HIM will be a death march.

Event comments:

HFP did a bang-up job with this race (only a few minor exceptions). There are a few details that I would like to improve with my performance, but overall I'm pleased.

Last updated: 2011-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:25 | 1640 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/16
Overall: 53/184
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Rectangle course - 2 laps counterclockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:12 | 24.85 miles | 20.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 59/184
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Rural roads between CC state park and Xenia. Out and back with a little deviation from the "out" on the way "back".
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 104
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:52:29 | 06.21 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/16
Overall: 68/184
Performance: Below average
Course: 2x loop along dam - grass/gravel/pavement - mixed terrain.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2011-07-11 9:46 PM

User image

Veteran
OHIO south of Dayton
Subject: Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Caesar Creek Triathlon - Olympic Course Rss Feed