General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Severe open water phobia Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-11 10:44 PM

West Bend
Subject: Severe open water phobia
Hi- New to this site and I'm looking for advice.  I just did my 4th sprint tri- and the swim is really getting to me.....I do fine in a pool- good swimmer- but the open water-- dark and murky-- really freaks me out.  BAD.  If the water was clear I'd be okay but alas...lakes aren't clear.  I end up doing the breath stroke which is slow...I don't know how to get over it.  This has been since I was a child...Any one else have this problem or have it in the past?  I've resigned myself to forever doing the breath stroke and making up my time on the bike....any advice would be appreciated!!!Frown

2011-07-11 11:05 PM
in reply to: #3591879

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Severe open water phobia
I had a fear of open water swimming for the various reasons like drowning, panicking, etc. I'm NOT a good swimmer at all and in fact did my first OWS today.  How did I manage?  A wetsuit!  You would not believe the level of confidence it gave me.  The fact that I know that if I get a cramp, run out of breath, or whatever, I WILL NOT DROWN in this thing.  Another thing I did was counting my strokes to make sure I tried to get a rhythm down and help my breathing.  This may help you too.  Bare in mind, this advice is coming from a novice swimmer.  LOL!  Good luck!      
2011-07-12 5:40 AM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
My best advice is to find an OWS coach and spend more time in the water with them.  I used to (and sometimes still do) panic in OW for no explainable reason other than I nearly drowned 20+ years ago.   If you don't have access to a coach in West Bend, I suggest you start every swim by 1) starting in shallow water, 2) floating on your back to get used to the water, 3) do a few bobs where you go under the water and note the boogie man isn't down there and 4) swim a few strokes knowing you can stand up.  Rinse and repeat until you feel comfortable enough to head out into deeper water.  With a group of people, no alone of course!
2011-07-12 6:14 AM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
I second that advice on the wetsuit.  And all the great advice from Suzy.  Good luck.
2011-07-12 9:35 AM

User image

Regular
Stoughton, WI

Kelligirl - 2011-07-11 10:44 PM Hi- New to this site and I'm looking for advice.  I just did my 4th sprint tri- and the swim is really getting to me.....I do fine in a pool- good swimmer- but the open water-- dark and murky-- really freaks me out.  BAD.  If the water was clear I'd be okay but alas...lakes aren't clear.  I end up doing the breath stroke which is slow...I don't know how to get over it.  This has been since I was a child...Any one else have this problem or have it in the past?  I've resigned myself to forever doing the breath stroke and making up my time on the bike....any advice would be appreciated!!!Frown

I am a strong swimmer, but I have issues at times as well.  My problem is the wetsuit (tightness/constriction at the neck), but I won't go without as I KNOW I will float in it.  I will tell you that my friend who is a swim coach and former Division 1 collegiate swimmer - still has problems with open water swimming.  She still does open water tri's - never longer than a sprint - but she also doesn't practice in open water either.  I think this would probably help her.  I think all of the above advice really is good.

2011-07-12 10:59 AM

User image

Milwaukee-ish

Does this fear hit you when you first get in the water or later on when you can't see much around you while swimming?  What about it scares you - the thought of what you can't see? Is there any way to go with a friend or a group of other people for more open water swim exposure?

I've been swimming in open water for years and was a lifeguard at a few lakes. I still get a little bit of the heebie jeebies, but I focus on looking out of the water (shoreline, buoys, etc) as opposed to looking down.

(p.s. I loved wearing a wetsuit at the tri I did on Sunday. Not because the water was cold - far from it - but because I couldn't feel the tickle of any weeds that weren't cleared. That sensation freaks the freak out of me. I guess you could say it makes me go faster since I want to get out of the water ASAP. Laughing)

2011-07-12 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin

The open water swims get to me as well.  I have in general always just used a wetsuit because I know that I can very easily just turtle, flip over on my back outside the line of swimmers, if needed.  I had to turtle several times during the DC HIM because it was the longest I had swam in the open water.

I do have a friend who is in the same boat as you and even a wetsuit doesn't help her.  She can swim 2 miles in a pool and freaks out 50 yards from the shore in open water.  If that is your case I'd suggest Suzy's suggestions for sure.

2011-07-12 9:27 PM

West Bend

Thank you everyone!  Lots to ponder....and some good ideas. 

2011-07-12 10:11 PM

90 miles south of Titletown, USA
SSMinnow gave some really good advice above.

I live a couple miles south of you in Jackson and do my OWS at Pike Lake in Hartford. I just swim the buoy line. You can always touch bottom and there are always people on the beach so that should alleviate some of your fears. Just get in the water and get yourself relaxed before you start swimming. I have a friend who is in the same boat as you and what i've told her is to submerge yourself a few times and just exhale and relax. Stay under for a few seconds and do it a couple of times until you are relaxed (can always stand if needed). That pretty much echos what SSM said, but it really does help.

Best of luck.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Severe open water phobia Rss Feed