General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Power" training without power meter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-12 8:12 AM

Veteran
Subject: "Power" training without power meter?

I want to increase my biking performance, but can't really afford a power meter.  I thought maybe I could get some good results using just cadence and heart rate - or if not "good," at least useful better than nothing.  Does anyone have any experience with this that you can share, or know of any good references I could check?

Thanks,

Scott

2011-07-12 8:14 AM
in reply to: #3592227

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: "Power" training without power meter?
Well, it's a massive topic, but I'll skip to the end and give you the short answer. Yes, you can train just as effectively using other metrics on the bike such as HR or RPE as you can with power. I wouldn't worry about cadence. If you use HR, do some testing to determine your HR training zones and get out and ride, a lot, mostly pretty hard.

Edited by bryancd 2011-07-12 8:15 AM
2011-07-12 8:23 AM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

A power meter is very useful as it helps measure and quantify your training.  Used well, it can help you focus your training so it's most useful for you.  And it can be used to chart progress.

But, the only way to increase your bike performance is to get on the bike and ride.  Lots.  With plenty of hard riding.  Neither a power meter nor an HR monitor (nor cadence/speed sensor) is at all necessary.

2011-07-12 8:41 AM

User image

Expert
Oklahoma
Getting better takes a lot of hard work not gadgets. Not that gadgets aren't helpful but hard work is the key ingredient.
2011-07-12 8:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

I don't use gadgets - they stress me out. I have gained power through years of riding on the road, (the "ride lots" philosophy) as well as riding lots of hills, and riding with groups of experienced cyclists who are just a little stronger than me. I have also noticed a positive difference in my power by working out in the gym - squats, plyometrics, and core training (though you might want to be conservative about beginning a weight training program if you are in the middle of racing season.)

Like others have said, gadgets have their place, they can be very informative and useful in monitoring progress and helping an athlete reach a more specific level of training, but aren't necessary.

2011-07-12 8:57 AM
in reply to: #3592307

User image

Master
University Park, MD

EKH - 2011-07-12 9:41 AM Getting better takes a lot of hard work not gadgets. Not that gadgets aren't helpful but hard work is the key ingredient.

True. But I find that the gadgets, help me to work harder on the bike. I don't have a power meter, but use a rough approximation by using speed on a well calibrated KK trainer. Closely following my pace/power on hard workouts helps me to keep pushing when I might otherwise hold some in reserve.

2011-07-12 3:09 PM

User image

Expert
Since you didn't give us any background on what type of rider you are, years of experience and current fitness levels, it's hard to really give you a solid answer.  The short answer would be if your just starting out and want to get better, just get out the door and ride.  Mixing easy/modertate rides with focused longer hard efforts.  Every single ride does not need to be at suicide pace.  But you need to put in consistent riding week after week, month after month, etc.. etc...  Ride 4-6 times a week for 8-12 weeks and try to measure improvements over that time on routes that you take on a weekly basis.

If your already a very good tri cyclist a power meter is a great investment and will really help do a few things for you.  It'll help focus your training on a more micro level.  It'll make sure you're getting the most out of each ride for the entire ride every ride.  But it won't do the work for you.  It'll just let you know what work you should be doing.  It'll enable you to ride less and be faster on the bike with less training. 

I rode for 5 years with out a power meter and thought that my bike training was sufficient.  I've pulled off some fast bike splits at different distances without the power meter.  This year, with the power meter.  For the first half of the season I was riding one less day a week.  Riding shorter rides and have been in the best bike fitness since starting this sport. 

Gadgets can be a real pain and can overload you with info.  For me.  I love power and cadence combined with HR.  These three things have been the focus of my entire season.  I'm lost without them. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » "Power" training without power meter? Rss Feed