General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does impact increase w/run speed? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-12 9:04 AM

User image

DC
Subject: Does impact increase w/run speed?

I think the answer is yes. Then again: I started getting some pretty bad shin splints & my solution was to leave the MP3 at home, slow down, & focus on my form... back to the basics--using the body's natural "bounce" to lessen the impact. 

So is it speed, bad form, or both? (The quick increase in mileage probably contributed as well, but that's a different story.)

2011-07-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3592373

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Subject: RE: Does impact increase w/run speed?
I fully believe there is a sweet spot in a person's run speed. It increases as you get more fit and faster. I actually find running really slow rougher on my joints than hard efforts
2011-07-12 9:15 AM

User image

Pro

I use just the opposite strategy.  My ipod is my friend.  I've created a playlist of songs in the 180bpm range.  When you're taking steps that fast, it practically forces you to keep your feet under you.

but yes:  speed => injuries. 

Mostly Easy.  Sometimes Hard.  (learned that here on this forum from people like Scout7 and Donskiman... and they are so right)

2011-07-12 9:30 AM

User image

Runner
Speed is not what causes the injuries. It's the effort.

From your narrative, you mentioned that you ramped up mileage quickly, were running at a higher effort level, and were not paying attention to what your body was doing, and you developed shin splints. It was impact from run speed that caused your shin splints. It was the fact that you ramped up mileage quickly, maintained a higher level of effort, and ignored your body.

Impact may or may not increase with speed; I don't know, I'm not a scientist. But I do know that it is a red herring in this case. It wasn't how fast you ran that created the problem. It was the fact that you kept running hard while increasing mileage quickly, and probably to some extent sloppy form. If you take things easy, you will let your body develop its own ability to handle the stresses, and thus it doesn't matter one way or the other.
2011-07-12 2:54 PM

User image

Pro
, New Hampshire
Proper running technique helps as well, especially for shin splits, knee and hip problems. I bet that you increased your distance too rapidly and focusing on form allowed you to run without putting strain on your body.

With proper running technique impact from running is almost a non issue...
2011-07-12 3:14 PM
in reply to: #3593229

User image

DC

audiojan - 2011-07-12 2:54 PM Proper running technique helps as well, especially for shin splits, knee and hip problems. I bet that you increased your distance too rapidly and focusing on form allowed you to run without putting strain on your body. With proper running technique impact from running is almost a non issue...

I think & I agree that everyone's hitting on it on the nail. I wonder though, if there is no pain in the shin when I focus on my form, then it's probably safe to assume that it was a form issue? I.e., rather than, say, a fracture. (I think my wife has a fracture cause it ain't going away no matter what her form looks like.)

2011-07-12 5:00 PM

User image

Master
Sedona, AZ
In addition to what others have said, as you increase intensity form can start to break down. You may be reaching more with your foot, trying to artificially lengthen your stride. This reaching will increase the stress on your shins as you land harder on your heel. As you increase speed, try your best to maintain form. When your form breaks down, back off a little.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Does impact increase w/run speed? Rss Feed