General Discussion Triathlon Talk » very frustrated Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-12 12:10 PM

User image

Subject: very frustrated

Hi guys, I

have been training for the Chicago Tri OLY category and everything is going as planned except for the running. It is about 6 weeks until the tri and I am still doing a 5k in about an hour!! My heart rate average is about 173-180 so I am definitely working. Also I try not to stop or walk. I slow down to a very slow jog. What am I doing wrong?  

Any advice would be useful. Thanks!

2011-07-12 12:30 PM
in reply to: #3592797

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Subject: RE: very frustrated
Ifi - 2011-07-12 12:10 PM

Hi guys, I

have been training for the Chicago Tri OLY category and everything is going as planned except for the running. It is about 6 weeks until the tri and I am still doing a 5k in about an hour!! My heart rate average is about 173-180 so I am definitely working. Also I try not to stop or walk. I slow down to a very slow jog. What am I doing wrong?  

Any advice would be useful. Thanks!

How long have you been training?  Are your logs up to date?
2011-07-12 1:05 PM

User image

New user

Lake Zurich

Running is my weakest leg of the race and last season I had a similar experience.  After a lot of reading listening to the advice of other athletes I began my training season (back in Feb.) with 4 - 6 weeks of very slow running while monitoring my heart rate.  I began with 20 minute runs keeping my heart rate down in Zone 1 and 2 (50 - 70% of max). I built up the time to 45 min and then 60 min runs but made every effort to keep my heart rate low.  My running was EXTREMELY SLOW but it made a huge difference in April when I increased the training intensities.  There is a lot of articles on this if you look in the right places.

2011-07-12 2:21 PM

User image

I am a month into training and 2 months into regularly running. I think I should have started training much earlier...oh well.
2011-07-12 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3593128

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Ifi - 2011-07-12 2:21 PM I am a month into training and 2 months into regularly running. I think I should have started training much earlier...oh well.

Just give it time.  Don't worry about it.  And besides, the goal for your first triathlon is to finish and have fun.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.
2011-07-12 4:15 PM

Are you walking or running?  I didn't know it was possible to run at a 20 minute per mile pace.  In any case, you're six weeks out from the race - I think the best thing for you is to keep doing what you're doing.  As mentioned above, your goal is to just finish; after it's over you can decide whether you want to develop the run speed over the off-season to set you up well for the 2012 season.

2011-07-13 12:52 PM

User image

sadly I am "running". my pace averages btw 16-14 min per mile. i definitely walk fast than i jog.

Thanks though!

2011-07-13 1:21 PM
in reply to: #3594701

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Walk it then and don't worry about your time. As Crowny said go out and have fun and have the goal of finishing. There will be thousands of people racing that day and many won't finish and many will be walking so go out and have a good time and cross that finish line!  My wife even saw people last year pulling themselves along a rope in the water instead of swimming.
2011-07-13 6:54 PM

Veteran

What is your open 5k time, do you know? i.e. just running a 5k by itself nothing before.

Perhaps you are spending too much energy after the bike? I am the pot calling the kettle black on this big time but i KNOW it is my problem. I am a better runner than the other two portions open but after the swim and bike, the run is easily my worst.

I was told just the other day. To pace yourself on the bike before the run imagine the bike leg is 15%-20% further than what it actually is (saving some for the run). It doesnt seem like much but imagine the OLY bike being ~30 miles instead.  You will now have more energy for the run by saving some.

Edited by Decatur217 2011-07-13 6:54 PM
2011-07-15 2:29 AM

Chicago
How fast are you coming out of the gate for the run?  are you blowing up early and not saving anything for the end of the run?   what about nutrition?  Are you eating, taking in enough calories or are you running out of gas?  I had this problem when i first started.  Like a few others have stated, with this being your first tri, make sure you take time to enjoy the experience.  make sure you look around you and joy the fact that you will have about 25,000 total strangers cheering for you the whole way.  
2011-07-15 11:52 AM

User image

Well I am averaging 15min per mile during my training runs and I am running in my IV zone. I end tired but not too tired. Perhaps I am not fueling enough. Also, I think my running stride is short.

2011-07-17 2:06 AM

Chicago
Fueling is very important.  Even if its a sprint.  Your not gonna be used to the distance.  Also try taking longer strides, may seem kinda weird at first but it will actually save energy, cover the course faster and is more natural to a long walking stride.    Remember to first and formost enjoy the whole event. 
2011-07-17 10:14 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I would slow down and train in zone 2.  Even if you feel you really slow I would build up your base.  Do no worry about your time you will have TONS of time to finish chicago tri.  if your in one of the earlier waves you probaly can get away with a 8 hour finish really if your doing the sprint.  Build your base atleast that is what I recommend.
2011-07-21 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Chicagoland
Are you familiar with the Galloway method of running? He advocates including walk breaks into your run. If you aren't familiar with it, check out his website: www.jeffgalloway.com and read up on his philosophy. My guess is that by giving your running muscles a break during walking, you will be able to go faster than you are now and it'll feel easier.

If you have any questions about the galloway stuff, please don't hesitate to ask. That is the only way I run. I've done 3 marathons that way and am a pace group leader for a training site in the northwest suburbs, so if you have interest, I am happy to share my experiences....

either way, good luck and just enjoy the race! Like others said, your only goal is to finish and have fun. What is the time cut off for Oly? How is your biking and swimming?
2011-07-23 7:52 AM

User image

New user

Morris

I had the same issue when I began training and for the first year or so it stayed the same. I was extremely frustrated and was about to resign myself to always walking the run portion. Only recently, did I go out for my usual training run and suddenly ran the entire 3.5(my short route) miles in 30 minutes. Talk about shock..lol. What did I do different? The day before I had done a metric century ride (cycling is my strongest aspect of triathlon) in 3 hours. I figured that I would be baked for the run. It was exactly the opposite.

Well, I worked on interval training where I would run hard as long as I could, and then walk for a while, and then run hard, and then walk. I would do this for anywhere between 5 1/4 miles and 8 miles (my typical routes). I started only doing this on Saturday mornings and during the week I would hit the trail, or bike path, on a mountain bike and do intervals on the bike as well. I found that it was less "pounding" but still worked the cardio and the muscle groups. On Sunday mornings, I typically go for a  "long ride" on the road bike. This is typically about 65-80 miles. After doing this for about a month, I did the 3.5 mile run. A week later I did the full 8 mile circuit in 1 1/ hours. 

Anyway, I guess the point is...just keep at it. I have found that triathlon is 30% physical and 70% mental strength. I've had to train my mind...the body just followed suit.

Besides, the amazing thing about triathlon is walking, or crawling, is acceptable! Just get across the finish line however you can; and have fun doing it.

Now I'm off for my Saturday morning run!

Good luck to you!!

PS: I was also having a really hard time losing weight even though I was doing all of this. I started in January at around 220lbs and by May had lost 20 lbs. Then I hit a wall and couldn't seem to lose more. I had been keeping my calorie intake to around 1,500 after subtracting the day's training. Well, I cut my calorie intake to as close to 1,000 a day, period...regardless of training. Now, I've started losing weight again....and fast. AND...I have been greatly increasing my speed and endurance. (still not sure how that's working..lol)

Edited by jimsutterfield 2011-07-23 7:58 AM
2011-07-23 2:07 PM

User image

Thank you guys for all the tips! I will just keep on turtling it and focus on having fun not my time. Positive thoughts!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » very frustrated Rss Feed