General Discussion Race Reports! » Peterborough half ironman duathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Peterborough half ironman duathlon - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peterborough, Ontario
Canada
Tri Sport Canada
28C / 82F
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 6/32
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 1/2
Pre-race routine:

Pretty much as usual. Woke up 3 hours before the start to have breakfast, then prepared my stuff and went to the race site. I got there very early, 1h40 before the the start. Nervousness wasn't an issue this time around as opposed to prior long races. I had a little knot in the stomach but overall, I was just very focussed and systematical at preparing my stuff.

One thing I had learned last year is that the transition zone is not "fair", ie the closer your spot is from the center aisle, the less you have to run in the transition area. The result of being there early was that I got the best possible spot.
Event warmup:

I ran about 1k easy in the shade and then stretched a bit. I stayed in the shade for as long as possible when the sun got out because it was getting hot quickly. I turned out to be a "furnace" kind of day, just like last year.
Run
  • 07m 15s
  • 2 kms
  • 03m 37s  min/km
Comments:

So we got the start signal and off we went. My plan was to go out at about 5k race pace and that's what I did. The legs responded well and after only a couple of minutes I started feeling good and focussed. It was a good beginning to my day! That run was over before it even begun! :P
Transition 1
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

I'm really not sure if it's possible to do a faster transition than that. :)
I got the second best time there and gained many positions.

Jumping on the bike went well but I had to mess around with my right shoe a bit to be comfortable in it.
Bike
  • 2h 43m 24s
  • 90 kms
  • 33.05 km/hr
Comments:

Last year we got on the bike at exactly the same time than the triathlete and it was just madness going out of the transition zone. This year, they made us go a few minutes before. The big difference was that instead of having a good bunch of people to pace/motivate ourselves, we would have all the top triathletes flying by us and much less traffic on the road. Not a game changer but I always like a little extra motivation.

I quickly settled in a "comfortably hard" kind of pace. The first 30k went by quickly. What struck me though is that my pace wasn't a "natural" one. I constantly had to force it. I pretty much had the same argument with my legs than a dad has with his kid to make him eat his broccoli. You know the kid will end up eating the freakin' thing, you just have to tell him 20 times for him to do it. So, while I knew I was going at a pace that shouldn't be a problem, I always had to talk myself into it. I got to the turnaround in 1:17:59, 30 seconds slower than last year. :-/

As we headed west, back to transition, a few things started going south and the wind was blowing to the east. That meant we would have a meaningful headwind for a good 35k. À 65-70k, je l'avais dans l'cul en esti!! At about the same time, my neck started being stiff (note to self: bring your damn pillow when travelling) and the arch of my right foot started cramping for the first time in more than a year. That didn't change much the way I attacked the bike ride but that made me use a lot of mental energy to stay positive. I played cat and mouse with the same 3-4 guys for the entire ride. I did 1:25:08 on the way back, ~1:30 faster than last year.

Total bike time: 2:43:24 for an average of 33 km/h flat. I thought I had at least 1 km/h more than that in me :-/

Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Second best time again in T2, very efficient. A couple of dudes in my race took the time to chat in transition. Their pain, my gain. I passed them there.
Run
  • 1h 56m 55s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 32s  min/km
Comments:

Time to run! Well, lets say that long bricks pay. Within less than 1k the legs were feeling awesome and I found a renewed energy and focus. The first 4-5k were flat and shady, that helped to find a good rythym but I knew that wouldn't last. The part with hills and absolutely no shade was coming. The first 10k were surprisingly awesome. I was dealing well with the heat, humidity and heat and I had a razor sharp focus. Anyone passing me or passed by me I monitored to know if they were in my race (bib # between 450 and 500).
Things got a little tougher from 10 to 14k but that was to be expected, from time to time I thought some blisters were starting to mature on my right foot and the glutes didn't like the hills anymore. Mentally I was still in a good place.
At 14k, not far after an aid station, everything went to hell very quickly. Suddently, the wind completely stopped and within a couple minutes I was in emergency mode. So I was overheating quickly and the water I poured on myself was useless because there was no wind. I felt like I was dehydrating quickly as well. Getting to the next aid station was a struggle, I think I walked 2x 30 seconds on my way. Once I got there, I just stopped, poured 5-6 more cups of water on me and drank a couple, then I restarted my "crawl". I kind of took a gamble by drinking that much at the same time, my stomach wasn't very happy. While that was going on, I was still competing with someone. It was almost laughable. We almost had a contest of "let's see who can get there without walking". I stopped again for a full shower and a good drink at 17k.

Like magic, at 18k, I came back to life! It looks like the two stops were worth it (huge understatement here lol). I came back to life so much that the last 3k were my fastest of that run! A real strong finish! ...as I like them!!

I talked about monitoring the bib # of opponents earlier. Well, there was two guys (that registered late??) that had different bib # than the rest of us. One of them finished 15 fucking seconds in front of me!!! WTF????
Post race
Warm down:

I jumped in the lake as soon as possible... and started cramping in the hamstrings :P

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The positives
Good pre race stress control
Good first run, T1 and T2
km 1 to 10 in the half marathon
HUGE comeback to life and a strong finish
Decent mental effort and decision making

The negatives
Where the fuck were my legs on the bike? It's supposed to be my bread and butter!
Hydration on the run?
Time & position: I was there to improve at least 10min over last year and for an overall podium. That didn't happen.
The f*cker that finished 15 seconds in front of me even though I had done my homework.

Last updated: 2011-07-11 12:00 AM
Running
00:07:15 | 02 kms | 03m 37s  min/km
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 11/32
Performance: Good
Course: flat. grass.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:43:24 | 90 kms | 33.05 km/hr
Age Group: 2/2
Overall: 6/32
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:56:55 | 21.1 kms | 05m 32s  min/km
Age Group: 1/2
Overall: 10/32
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-12 9:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Peterborough half ironman duathlon

2011-07-13 4:29 AM
in reply to: #3593787

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Peterborough half ironman duathlon

Solide job Etienne!

Ca ne semblaist pas une journée facile avec la chaleur, mais tu as réussi a terminer avec une solide performance.

Good job mec!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peterborough half ironman duathlon Rss Feed