General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting in August Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-13 3:29 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Subject: Visiting in August

Hello Oregon!

My wife and I will be visiting the Portland area the last week of August.  Can you suggest some hikes, or kayak outfitters we might enjoy?  Or any other points of interest/adventure ??

Thank you!

2011-07-15 10:56 AM
in reply to: #3595133

User image

Veteran
Central Point
Subject: RE: Visiting in August
I can't believe no one has replied yet. I live at the south end of the state and I'm not too familiar with what to do in Portland. Multnomah Falls could be a nice hike  http://web.oregon.com/hiking/multnomah_falls.cfm Its about 30 miles East of Portland. There is rafting and kayaking  around but I can't make any recommendations sorry.
2011-07-15 3:17 PM

User image

portland oregon

Probably so few replies because there is so much to do!  I've done a few white water trips and there are a ton within a day trip of Portland.  www.nextadventure.net is a great local store and Deek and his staff will definitely be able to refer you to the best outfitters in the NW.

Hikes are countless as well.  You could plan to climb Mt Hood or do a day hike in Forest Park, the largest urban forest in the US.

Post some parameters and there are probably a few who could help narrow your choices.

2011-07-18 1:51 PM

User image

Elite
Minnetonka
Hey thanks guys, I have a book now with loads of options.  I'll post a few here and see what the locals think.  Looking forward to the visit!  i did a Sprint yesterday in 90 degree heat with 81 percent humidity! In Minnesota of all places...
2012-07-10 6:32 PM

User image

Master
TORONTO

I'm also making my way over there.  Can't wait!! First time but I've fallen in love with the Oregon I see in movies and magazines and now have to see it first hand.

We're starting in San Fran and then plan to drive up the coast and in to Portland.  I have a 9year old child and we're hoping to commune with nature and do lots of outdoorsy active stuff.  Hoping to go to Mt. Hood and the falls on day excursions.  Any suggestions re coastal towns would be greatly appreciated (especially places to stay overnight along the coast).

I'm also hoping to get some good runs in while so if anyone has any suggestions on routes in Portland that would be great.  I believe we are staying in the Pearl district.

Cheers!

2012-07-11 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
Hey,

Well I'm an avid hiker here, there are tons of options in town, in the gorge, or up at Mt. Hood or Mt. St. Helens. I suggest that you check out http://www.portlandhikers.orgyou can search for hikes via type and length and kid friendliness should that apply.

Can't help with the kayak - but nextadventure would be the place I would send you too.

Suggested Hikes:
Angels Rest - gorge
Horsetail & Triple Falls - gorge
Dog Mountain. - gorge
Old Salmon River Trail - on the way to Mt. Hood
Tamanawas Falls - Mt. Hood
Siouxon Creek - Past Battle Ground, WA
Silver Falls State Park (10 waterfalls in a loop hike) - near Silverton, OR
The "Hobbit Trail" - on the coast near Florence, OR
Forest Park - in the city
Tryon Creek - in the city
The Arborteum - in the city
Ape Caves - lava tubes on Mt. St. Helens

Favorite place to chill on the coast is Manzanita. Newport has a great aquarium, and if you drive across from there to I-5 you can go to the Evergreen air museum which also has a waterpark with a slide coming down from a 747 parked on the roof (YES, really). Astoria is also great town to visit, but just stop at any town that looks interesting, can't really go wrong. If you're driving up from cali the dunes are pretty cool, and don't forget a stop in the redwoods.

Runs: from the pearl you can hit forest park for trail running very easily - many options here. Or you can run up and down the willamette river along the esplanade, a very popular route.

Edited by kirih 2012-07-11 10:58 PM

2012-07-12 8:35 AM

User image

Master
TORONTO
Thanks for all the fantastic tips!  I'm starting my reading research this afternoon on my lunch.  Can't wait!
2012-07-13 12:07 AM

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member

I'm from Eugene but lived in Portland for a few years. There are tons of hikes both close in to the city and further afield. My favorite day hikes are Eagle Creek (can be done as a day or overnight hike depending on how far up you go) along the Columbia Gorge east of the city, and Yokim (Yokum?) Ridge near Mt. Hood. If you want to join a group hike/climb or get ideas for your own, the Mazamas are a useful organization to check out.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Visiting in August Rss Feed