General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2012-06-27 12:49 PM
in reply to: #4283193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Silly question, but is anyone else feeling kind of like a kid on the day after Christmas?  I thought I would be somewhat happy to have some free time, but now I'm just bummed. 

Edited by thedallasceliac 2012-06-27 1:17 PM

2012-06-27 1:16 PM
in reply to: #4283171

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
johnyutah5 - 2012-06-27 1:36 PM

Patrick, I tell us more about your race. It seems like you prepared for hills really well.

You may want to ask someone who did better on the bike than I did about hill prep!  My bike split was only 5:54.  That does include 3 stops to pee - over-hydrated a bit early on.  I was really focused on saving my legs for the run, which worked out since my 3:32 run split was the only thing that allowed me to hit my 11:00 goal (10:55:26).

Edited by Patrick E 2012-06-27 1:30 PM
2012-06-27 1:50 PM
in reply to: #4283134

User image

Sammamish
johnyutah5 - 2012-06-27 10:19 AM
parrotheadnw - 2012-06-25 10:02 AM

OK Swim, a rookie hit me on the bike at mile 60 which added almost 45 minutes of bike repairs, first aid and getting checked out by a medic.  Was on so much pain that I walked almost all of the marathon. Ended up with a 14:18.

Loved the bike course, but I'm from Seattle and am used to hills.  The head wind was humbling out to the turn around, but awesome for the ride back.

Falling is one thing, getting taken out by someone when there is plenty of room to pass (and I had just passed him) sucks.  

Outside of that, the experience of the race was more than I expected.  There was no way I was going to quit.

That really stinks. Glad you were able to continue on and things weren't more serious. I admire the fact that you didn't call it a day and pushed through the pain. Congrats on finish and the positive atttitude.

Thanks for you words of encouragement.  Now that a couple of days have passed, I'm almost ready to sign up again.  I got close enough to see that the entry fee went up $25 over this year, but didn't pull the trigger.  

Dallas, I'm in the same boat with you and feel empty inside.  Need another event to work towards.

2012-06-27 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Congrats to everyone that finished.  I went 13:50 for my first ever IM.  Goal was to do under 14 hours.  Had a great swim and the bike and run went about how I expected.  Walked a bit more than I thought I would.  A dream come true!
2012-06-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #4283388

User image

Florida

that was a tough course.  I have to agree with Scott.  Bike course was much harder than everyone was saying.  when we drove the course on Friday, everyone that I was with said it definitely looks harder than Lake Placid (and it was).  I drank half of the Lake during the swim.  somehow my cap and goggles managed to come off 1/3 thru the second lap (don't think it had anything to do with the kick to the face i recieved).  thanks to any of you that didn't run me over while I was struggling to put on my goggles in the washing machine. 

did anyone else have terrible stomach pains and gas during the run?  I can only think it was from drinking a lot of the lake water. 

didn't come close to my 11:00 goal time.  11:31.  but i'm happy.  will be about 3 years before I tackle the full distance again.

congrats to everyone that finished.  CDA has the best volunteers anywhere.  I love it there. 

2012-06-27 2:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX

In your opinion, where does the bike course rank amongst the rest of the North America IMs?

I'm trying to decide which one to do next based on this one...

2012-06-27 2:40 PM
in reply to: #4283431

User image

Florida
thedallasceliac - 2012-06-27 3:31 PM

In your opinion, where does the bike course rank amongst the rest of the North America IMs?

I'm trying to decide which one to do next based on this one...

I prefer to base my decision on where to race solely on weather (the heat).  for that reason, I would never to Louisville and Texas would be very iffy. 

Regarding the bike, I don't think any race in north america will have a tougher bike course (similar in difficulty, but not much tougher).  however, you need to determine what impacts you more - longer more gradual climbs or shorter/steeper climbs.   

2012-06-27 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4283267

User image

Patrick E - 2012-06-27 12:16 PM
johnyutah5 - 2012-06-27 1:36 PM

Patrick, I tell us more about your race. It seems like you prepared for hills really well.

You may want to ask someone who did better on the bike than I did about hill prep!  My bike split was only 5:54.  That does include 3 stops to pee - over-hydrated a bit early on.  I was really focused on saving my legs for the run, which worked out since my 3:32 run split was the only thing that allowed me to hit my 11:00 goal (10:55:26).

Sounds like you raced smart. If you weren't ready for the bike there is no way you could pulled off a run split like that. Congrats on beating your goal!!!

2012-06-27 3:29 PM
in reply to: #4283193

User image

mallen4574 - 2012-06-27 11:46 AM It looks like the swimmer pulled from the water did indeed pass away today. Condolences to the family. He was only 44. Sean Murphy from Seattle. http://m.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_049477ac-c077-11e1-af4d-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm[/QUOTE]

My heart felt prayers goes out to the family. That's way too early.....

2012-06-27 3:33 PM
in reply to: #4283555

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, TX
johnyutah5 - 2012-06-27 3:29 PM

mallen4574 - 2012-06-27 11:46 AM It looks like the swimmer pulled from the water did indeed pass away today. Condolences to the family. He was only 44. Sean Murphy from Seattle. http://m.cdapress.com/news/local_news/article_049477ac-c077-11e1-af4d-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm[/QUOTE]

My heart felt prayers goes out to the family. That's way too early.....

x2  How awful

2012-06-27 3:39 PM

Veteran

interesting thoughts on the bike course. I thought it was technically on the easy side with few turns and the few climbs were not very steep....but I ride lots of hills so it is relative. Its funny though as I have ridden my bike in NY/NJ (much of the IM that will be in NJin August) as well as Colorado and San Francisco. By me in NJ/NY there are few flats and it is constant up/down. I did a simliar distance ride in San Fran with similiar elevation but profile looked flat with two huge mountains in the middle. My legs generally feel better with all the elevation in one shot...as long as it is not too steep.

This course reminded me of that with a few hills and mostly flats. I found it fun especially on the way back from the turn around on 95.

I am still hurtin on my left ankle and trying to think what I did to it but cant think of anything. Frustrating right now as I feel good otherwise.

I will say my hats off to all you people that do the full distance multiple times. I am 99% sure once was enough for me! lol

2012-06-27 11:57 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Your ankle hurts from the road camber on the run.
2012-06-28 10:19 AM
in reply to: #4277568

User image

Regular
Gurnee, IL
smithe68 - 2012-06-24 12:54 PM

That went poorly, got pulled out about half way through the 2nd lap. You just can't drink that much of a lake, throw up half a dozen + times and continue on. Oh well maybe some other year.

Sunday afternoon was really tough. I didn't get pulled out of the water - but unfortunately was within 10 feet of the timing mat when 2:20 hit. Never in a million years did I think the swim time cutoff would be an issue - but I could not move out in that chop on the 2nd lap. Coming in - I was going as fast as I could with the waves - had two kayakers guiding me in at the end so I didn't need to sight at all - as Dori said - "Just keep swimming..." Looking back - really, really appreciate all the people at the swim finish who stayed to cheer for us. I think I was the first to cross the line after the swim cutoff.

After feeling sorry for myself for a few hours - then returning to get my unused and lonely bike - I heard about the swimmer who they pulled out and realized how grateful I should be to return to race another day. Then, my wife and kids sat me down and told me I couldn't let the course conquer me (even though my wife was really hoping I was done with these!) So with that - I am signed up for IM CDA 2013! See you there smithe68! And the funny thing is - my wife is even asking whether or not I should go do Rev3 Cedar Point again to get my confidence back. Wait - you want me to do two?!

Now to refigure my summer schedule. I thought I would be recuperating right now...
2012-06-28 10:59 AM
in reply to: #4284702

User image

New user

djdjm - 2012-06-28 10:19 AM
smithe68 - 2012-06-24 12:54 PM That went poorly, got pulled out about half way through the 2nd lap. You just can't drink that much of a lake, throw up half a dozen + times and continue on. Oh well maybe some other year.
Sunday afternoon was really tough. I didn't get pulled out of the water - but unfortunately was within 10 feet of the timing mat when 2:20 hit. Never in a million years did I think the swim time cutoff would be an issue - but I could not move out in that chop on the 2nd lap. Coming in - I was going as fast as I could with the waves - had two kayakers guiding me in at the end so I didn't need to sight at all - as Dori said - "Just keep swimming..." Looking back - really, really appreciate all the people at the swim finish who stayed to cheer for us. I think I was the first to cross the line after the swim cutoff. After feeling sorry for myself for a few hours - then returning to get my unused and lonely bike - I heard about the swimmer who they pulled out and realized how grateful I should be to return to race another day. Then, my wife and kids sat me down and told me I couldn't let the course conquer me (even though my wife was really hoping I was done with these!) So with that - I am signed up for IM CDA 2013! See you there smithe68! And the funny thing is - my wife is even asking whether or not I should go do Rev3 Cedar Point again to get my confidence back. Wait - you want me to do two?! Now to refigure my summer schedule. I thought I would be recuperating right now...

Well I finished the swim in 2 hours but was so cold I spent 20 some minutes in the warming tent before I could get fully dressed and out to my bike.  My hands would not move.  I was a little concerned about the cold water because I do not do well.  I swim 5000 meters in 2 hrs and the 3.8 took me 2.  Way to long in that water and fightening the current/waves on lap 2.  I was determined to finish the swim and if I got out in time I wanted to do 1 lap of the bike and see if I could make up enough time to do a second.  I did not make the cut off for the second bike loop (over by 10 mins).  I was not upset, I was proud to have finished what I did and I knew I tried as hard as I could.  I have done 1 Iron distance not an offical M dot 4 years ago.  The Iron Gods are calling me and I am looking for a warmer swim.  I would love to come back to Coeur d'alene, it is an amazing course with an amazing community but you can not guarantee the water temperature.  In fact they should change that on their website to say the temperature is mostly in the 50's to low 60's!!

Congrat's to all of you that finished

2012-06-28 12:07 PM

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington

That was a rough race for me.  Nearly tapped out in the swim as I couldn't get my breath (turns out I have walking pneumonia).  I had to hang onto a paddle board for a few minutes to get my breath.  Finally settled down and got my breath, swam a bit slower than normal, battled the waves and came out of the water in 1:40.  The bike was tougher than I thought it would be and with diminished lungs I road a bit slower up the hills, but really enjoyed the down hill sections flying like the wind.  The run is were everything got really bad though.  Joined up with my brother on the entire run.  We made a pact to pull each other through to the end.  I initially had trouble running anything with a slight incline as it would throw me into a coughing attack.  My brother stuck with me and pulled me through until the lungs recovered at mile 7.  But he started having stomach issues from not sticking to his nutrition plan.  He ended up throwing up 10 times between miles 8-16.  It was brutal and many of you may have witnessed his distress (sorry about that).  But he finally rallied enough to pick up the pace.  We finished together with 11 minutes to spare.  The finish line was an awesome experience.  The volunteers and crowd support was awesome.  Even though we were some of the last people to finish we felt like rock stars.  I felt like every participant and the whole town of Coeur D'Alene was there to the end.  I really should have had my cough looked at before the race, but I convinced myself that it was just weakness making its way out of my body.  Went to the doctor when I got home and now my pneumonia is on the mend.  I'm pretty sure I won't do another Ironman, but as the memory of the race fades I keep thinking that if I was healthy I could improve my time by hours.  

This forum has been great with advice and encouragement through all of my training.  Thanks.

2012-06-28 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4284994

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
mb1530 - 2012-06-28 1:07 PM

That was a rough race for me.  Nearly tapped out in the swim as I couldn't get my breath (turns out I have walking pneumonia).  I had to hang onto a paddle board for a few minutes to get my breath.  Finally settled down and got my breath, swam a bit slower than normal, battled the waves and came out of the water in 1:40.  The bike was tougher than I thought it would be and with diminished lungs I road a bit slower up the hills, but really enjoyed the down hill sections flying like the wind.  The run is were everything got really bad though.  Joined up with my brother on the entire run.  We made a pact to pull each other through to the end.  I initially had trouble running anything with a slight incline as it would throw me into a coughing attack.  My brother stuck with me and pulled me through until the lungs recovered at mile 7.  But he started having stomach issues from not sticking to his nutrition plan.  He ended up throwing up 10 times between miles 8-16.  It was brutal and many of you may have witnessed his distress (sorry about that).  But he finally rallied enough to pick up the pace.  We finished together with 11 minutes to spare.  The finish line was an awesome experience.  The volunteers and crowd support was awesome.  Even though we were some of the last people to finish we felt like rock stars.  I felt like every participant and the whole town of Coeur D'Alene was there to the end.  I really should have had my cough looked at before the race, but I convinced myself that it was just weakness making its way out of my body.  Went to the doctor when I got home and now my pneumonia is on the mend.  I'm pretty sure I won't do another Ironman, but as the memory of the race fades I keep thinking that if I was healthy I could improve my time by hours.  

This forum has been great with advice and encouragement through all of my training.  Thanks.

Wow - great story and very inspiring.  You and your brother truly are Ironmen.  Great job, and get well soon!

Edited by Patrick E 2012-06-28 12:25 PM

2012-06-28 6:16 PM
in reply to: #4284994

User image

Regular
Las Vegas
mb1530 - 2012-06-28 10:07 AM

Hey I was there at the finish when you boys came through. I had a PR 13:30 (day light finish!) and went and had dinner and my wife and I decided to go back to the finish and cheer everybody in. I was so tired I just wanted to go to bed. But the crowd was amazing, and the energy was amazing. I was wishing I had stayed out on the course to get this kind of finish. We we there for an hour and watched it to the last. In the end YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!!!

Congrats on finishing an getting through a hard day.

2012-06-28 10:46 PM

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Thanks all for the encouragement on my redo, hope to see you there next year djdjm. Also, cause I am feeling too lazy to respond on every race report, thanks to all for the race reports, I read them all and picked up a few good tips that will help me out.
2012-06-28 11:12 PM

User image

New user
Salisbury
Just a few thoughts on the bike course you guys and girls who broke 6 hours are total studs...I cannot compare IM"s and just got my tri bike in April so my B2B race is incomparable. I Broke 3 hours in my warmup HIM on rolling hills in Virginia, and training went well so I was thinking  6:20-6:30....not even close over 7 hours and totally whipped ...I could not run good  this first half of the Marathon, I did manage a negative split and bring it home in 13:55....so if I could do my training again I would head up to the Mountains of North Carolina every weekend to train on....I was definitively exposed as a weak climber.
2012-06-28 11:16 PM
in reply to: #4283197

User image

New user
Salisbury

thedallasceliac - 2012-06-27 1:49 PM Silly question, but is anyone else feeling kind of like a kid on the day after Christmas?  I thought I would be somewhat happy to have some free time, but now I'm just bummed. 

Yeah me to I am thinking about my next race and when I can start training again...I think it;s in our blood.

2012-06-29 8:32 AM

User image

Regular
Marietta, GA
Congratulations to those who crossed the finish line...and those having the courage to jump into Lake Coeur D'Alene when that gun went off. I'm so impressed by the determination of those of you who committed to 2013! That is what IronMan is all about.I'm still struggling to find the words to describe my experience. I took a way too aggressive swim start position and paid for it within the first few hundred yards. I'm not even sure why I continued on the second loop. Guess I was on auto pilot because all I remember thinking was "just get this done". Thankfully, my "dark places" showed up in the water and disappeared on the second loop when I took a breath and saw my training partner swimming right next to me. I'm not sure how that happens when there are that many people out there but it was the reassurance I needed.My friend and I played leap frog a bit on the bike before losing track of one another coming back to town on the first loop (fun stuff on those downhill sections!). Again, just seeing a familiar face out there was a serious boost to my mental state.On the run, just before the turn around on the Higgens Point section, our paths crossed again. We were able to link up and run/walk the next 20 miles and cross the finish line together. It seemed fitting that we would spend all that time training together and then have the chance to finish as a team. We didn't set out to race together but I'm so glad it worked out that way.

2012-06-29 12:00 PM

User image

Expert
WA

Ironman Coer d' Alene 2012 - Full Circle... Inspirational!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgzM5wVErb0&feature=share

2012-06-29 2:02 PM
in reply to: #4285795

User image

New user

Maple Valley, Washington
Thanks for coming back and cheering us on.  I wish I could have done the same thing but the race was over by the time I had my picture taken.  I missed the last finishers but heard it was very inspirational.  I wish I could have knocked out a 13:30.  You are a stud.  Congrats on your PR.
2012-06-30 11:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI

Hi, we spent a week in Glacier after the race to wind down and now are back in MI.  The race did not go as planned for me either.  I didn't reach my goal time but did PR over St George by 51 minutes and did 15:02.  I'll get to my actual race report later this week.

The swim was pretty brutal.  Ended up with a bloody nose and I thought I would have a black eye from several heels to the face during the first lap. The second lap I swallowed more lake water and air than I had ever anticipated and still could not get away from the crowd.  My swim was 15 minutes longer than expected in 1:28.

My bike nutrition planned failed on my execution.... FYI... don't refrigerate GU in gel flasks when the expected air temp will be cool.  I had to make up my calories the entire bike ride.  Fortunately I had some fun size twix bars to compensate slightly. And I listened to the "never trust a fart" and lot 8 minutes because I stopped.  From there on I learned I can't pee on the bike even when I try - really hard.

I did ok during the first part of the run, then fell apart and ended up doing the shuffle.  I was feeling crappy and said I would never do this again.  After some more food and water and miles I got to about mile 18 and suddenly I had energy.  I finished strong although just after daylight.  I'm already thinking about where I'm going next.

2012-06-30 12:00 PM

User image

Congratulations to all of those who finished and also to those who were at least brave enough to start the race. I have read a lot of great race reports from Sunday. I had a great day just missed my "perfect" time of 12 hours but all in all for my first Ironman I couldnt be happier with my finish. If anyone was at the friday night dinner you probably saw me. I was one of the guys who got to go up on stage with Mike Reilly for losing 85 pounds on my journey to this race. I also want to thank all of those who offered up there own experiences and advice on here before the race. The advice of really taking it all in did not fall on deaf ears with me. I high fived every little kid who I saw who had there hand out and made sure to kiss my wife every time I passed her on the run. Then when I got to the finish shoot I really made sure I took it all in. I had some guy in my age group sprint past me with like 100 feet to go but I didnt care at all. I had my arms out like an airplane high fiving everyone on my way in. I will be back to Coeur d'Alene again for sure but next year Canada is calling to me.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56