General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 56

2011-07-13 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Subject: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread
Okay... Lets make this official. The 2011 race is over and it's time to start talking about 2012. When will this race sell out?

Edited by mallen4574 2011-07-13 9:27 PM

2011-07-13 11:13 PM
in reply to: #3595565

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread

mallen4574 - 2011-07-13 7:26 PM Okay... Lets make this official. The 2011 race is over and it's time to start talking about 2012. When will this race sell out?

No idea...but I just had to be the second person in on the thread....

I'm actually more concerned about the complete "suckification" of what was one of the best WTC IM courses with the bike course changes for next year.  I emailed all of the powers that be to register my disappointment, but I doubt that they care.

2011-07-14 7:27 AM
in reply to: #3595653

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
Back for more next year huh? Congrats on the finish this year. As far as the bike course goes..... I agree the change sucks. I live near CDA and training on a technical course like that has it's advantages that's for sure.
2011-07-14 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3595653

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
TheWolf - 2011-07-14 12:13 AM

mallen4574 - 2011-07-13 7:26 PM Okay... Lets make this official. The 2011 race is over and it's time to start talking about 2012. When will this race sell out?

No idea...but I just had to be the second person in on the thread....

I'm actually more concerned about the complete "suckification" of what was one of the best WTC IM courses with the bike course changes for next year.  I emailed all of the powers that be to register my disappointment, but I doubt that they care.

I won't be back for this very reason.  IMCdA is all about the hills.  Remove them and it's nothing special.

2011-07-14 10:39 AM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

I'm in for 2012!  I am happy no matter wear I ride my bike as long as it is 112 miles   (If you want hills, do St George or Silverman).  Coeur d'Alene is about the beautiful area and will be special for me even if they change the course.

2011-07-14 10:44 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

Does anyone know what the new bike course is?  I checked their website and they still have the old one posted.  I did this race in 2010 and the bike course made the race.  Yes has challenging sections, but that's what makes the race.  It's so incredibly gorgeous and is one of the most scenic bike courses I've ever ridden.  It's a shame that they are changing it up.

Does anyone know why it's being changed?  It's it because of politics or wanting to make the course flatter?

2011-07-14 11:49 AM

New user
Bonney Lake

I just completed 2011 and had a great time. I have my hotel for 2012 and am looking forward to the race. Hope this thread turns out to be as fun as last years.

The bike was a lot of fun. This was my first IM and the bike section was my favorite thing. I love to get on the open roads with my bike and this had it all. Hills, people cheering, flats and a great view. I will deal with what happens but I do hope that they keep it the same.

I heard on the last thread the change has to do with the mayors in all the towns. There seems to be a hold out in letting IM come back. There was a contract and it is now over. Hey maybe we should all hold out then like football, or just turn our bikes and ride the other way. Hard to argue with 2500 bikes going one way.

2011-07-14 11:50 AM
in reply to: #3596292

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
runnergirl - 2011-07-14 8:44 AM

Does anyone know what the new bike course is?  ...

Does anyone know why it's being changed?  It's it because of politics or wanting to make the course flatter?

The new course goes south on Highway 95 to Worley, ID.  I think the only part of the existing course that will remain is the portion that takes you out to Higgins Point and back, along the lake.  After that, it will be a draft-fest as everyone heads south on 95.

As to the reason for the change, I think its a little of both.  I think someone chimed in on the IMCdA 2011 thread that Hayden Lake (the city) was not too interested in continuing to have the course continue through their town due to what I'm sure amounts to a few disgruntled resident$$$.  I also wouldn't be surprised if flatter seemed like an attractive option for the WTC as well, since some of their calculations/projections involved how many new participants they might pick up based on the old course having a rep as being on the "harder" side of the NA IM courses and dissuading some folks from registering for the race.

2011-07-14 11:53 AM
in reply to: #3596444

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
TheWolf - 2011-07-14 12:50 PM
runnergirl - 2011-07-14 8:44 AM

Does anyone know what the new bike course is?  ...

The new course goes south on Highway 95 to Worley, ID.  I think the only part of the existing course that will remain is the portion that takes you out to Higgins Point and back, along the lake.  After that, it will be a draft-fest as everyone heads south on 95.

As to the reason for the change, I think its a little of both.  I think someone chimed in on the IMCdA 2011 thread that Hayden Lake (the city) was not too interested in continuing to have the course continue through their town due to what I'm sure amounts to a few disgruntled resident$$$.  I also wouldn't be surprised if flatter seemed like an attractive option for the WTC as well, since some of their calculations/projections involved how many new participants they might pick up based on the old course having a rep as being on the "harder" side of the NA IM courses and dissuading some folks from registering for the race.

So now it will be pancake flat full of cheaters?  Awesome....

2011-07-14 11:56 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
I'm on for IM CdA 2012!!!... this will be my first IM (having just completed my first triathlon on Sunday, a sprint) so this forthcoming year is going to be an amazing experience for me.

I hear a lot of people talking about the possible change of course for the bike, Does anyone know anything about the proposed new course? Is it still hilly? Will it not be as scenic?
i don't really have an opinion as i've never done one before and think i will be primarily just concerned with finishing and smiling as i do.

Hoping to make a few tri-friends along the way, anyone in the Raleigh, NC area?? .. would be cool to find a training buddy who is also doing this race.

But overall, super buzzed!!!...

Good Luck to us all!

Donnie
2011-07-14 12:03 PM
in reply to: #3596451

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA
runnergirl - 2011-07-14 9:53 AM 

So now it will be pancake flat full of cheaters?  Awesome....

I wouldn't go as far as "pancake" flat, but yes, compared to the old course, the new one could best be described as largely flat, with some rollers and a few very moderate climbs from what some of the locals described (disclaimer:  I haven't "seen" the new course - I just know what the proposed route is and have looked at the topography + first-hand recon from folks that live up there).  I'd wait until someone that really does know that route well chimes in before making any real judgement.  Suffice to say, based on the small portion of the route that I actually have driven, I think you're going to see a whole lot more people standing in penalty tents for drafting (whether intentional or otherwise).  But hey, a large part of the CdA experience is the finish line and the energy from the locals, and that's not changing, so all is not completely lost....

2011-07-14 12:15 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
:P... ok , so next time before i post i shall read previous posts more clearly... just noticed that all my questions had been previously asked and most addressed... lesson learned..

2011-07-14 1:32 PM
in reply to: #3596482

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
In all reality I don't know that it will be a ton faster. It looks to me like it will be on the slower side going out with 2 good climbs and a alight uphill the whole way followed by a quick return to town and repeat the whole thing 2 times. Talking to a friend of mine who has ridden the old course and the new course a few times he estimates it will be 5 to 10 minutes faster. As far as the reason for the change, I think it has more to do with the old course being a little dangerous with all the turns. (I don't think it's dangerous) but WTC has to be aware that the possibility of a lawsuit is always there. So the safer they make it the better off they are. In summary it's not going to be an "easy" course. Also this race has sold out every year so I don't think attracting a more racers is the reason for the change.
2011-07-14 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

I do not see how the newly proposed course (assuming it goes out 95 south, which they have not yet released all the details of anyway) could not be faster.  There is some major elevation gained and lost the hills up in Hayden.  95 is pretty much flat all the way.

I can tell you it won't be near as scenic.

Edited by TriRSquared 2011-07-14 2:33 PM
2011-07-14 2:48 PM
in reply to: #3596772

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
How much faster do you think it will be? The example I got would be a 5:15 rider on the old course might do 5:05 now. It really doesn't matter anyway... We're all racing the same course. As far as scenic goes I don't do much sight seeing in a race anyway. I don't think that matters all that much. The ugliest course I've ridden on is my favorite one so it's that big of a deal. Trirsquared did you used to live in Cda or something? You seem to be an expert on the area.
2011-07-14 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3596803

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

mallen4574 - 2011-07-14 3:48 PM How much faster do you think it will be? The example I got would be a 5:15 rider on the old course might do 5:05 now. It really doesn't matter anyway... We're all racing the same course. As far as scenic goes I don't do much sight seeing in a race anyway. I don't think that matters all that much. The ugliest course I've ridden on is my favorite one so it's that big of a deal. Trirsquared did you used to live in Cda or something? You seem to be an expert on the area.

Oh I's guess more than 10 mins.  There are some pretty steep hills up in Hayden.  And I don't care about it being faster or not.  When I race I like to enjoy the area I ride in.  That's why I spent a lot more $ to race CdA and not IMFL. 

No did not live there, raced it this year.  I'm no expert but I know the areas the current course and the "new" course go through.  They are quite different.

2011-07-14 4:26 PM

User image

Seattle, WA

Ugh, on the fence between doing CdA again or Canada for the first time.  I really really liked CdA's bike course.  I really really want it to stay the same.  I'm thinking of waiting until after Canada to make a decision though.  I'm banking on the course changes dissuading a few people from registering until it's sent in stone.  My guess is it will take longer to sell out this year.

Of course I base this on absolutely nothing, so don't mind me

2011-07-14 4:49 PM

User image

Master
Chesapeake, VA
Hmmmm - I was just getting the urge to sign up for 2012 after 2 DNS in 2010 and 2011 due to work commitments.  I completed the race in 2007 and 2009 and absolutely love the scenery on the bike course.  That is the exact reason I come all away across country for this race.  I might now be rethinking about what to do. Although as someone mentioned, the energy from downtown CdA is what makes the race special.  

Decisions, decisions............
2011-07-14 5:15 PM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
bit off topic to what has been discussed, and i know its far off, however,.... ive heard a few people talk about the atmosphere downtown CDA and how that really helps make this event, if anyone has the time or inclination, could you write a wee bit more about this?.. (just to give me an idea and to further amp up my rapidly growing buzz of doing this next year)

also to try and put a positive tint to things, because to be honest as a newbie who has already signed up, all the talk of the bike course is putting a small grey cloud over it all..

2011-07-14 5:57 PM
in reply to: #3597094

User image

Veteran
Wrong Beach, CA

donwah - 2011-07-14 3:15 PM ive heard a few people talk about the atmosphere downtown CDA and how that really helps make this event, if anyone has the time or inclination, could you write a wee bit more about this?.. (just to give me an idea and to further amp up my rapidly growing buzz of doing this next year)

Forget about the bike course change - especially if you never did the "old" course, its not worth worrying about.

The atmosphere in downtown CdA/Sherman Ave around the finish line is absolutely the highlight of this race for the majority of people (myself included).  The people in Coeur D'Alene really do go all out to support this race and make the finish line experience something that you will never forget.  Also, since the run course winds its way through the downtown core/finish line area, you get a nice lift from the crowds as you come in from loop 1 of the run and get ready to pound out the last 13.1 miles - people calling out your name and encouraging you, and if you're like the majority of people, that mental boost will be worth a lot at that point.  The neighbourhoods proximal to the downtown area also have some pretty memorable aid stations on the run - one where they set up a PA system and "announce" you as you come past, then another one that is usually populated by college students blasting music and getting more and more drunk as the afternoon progresses, then the "themed" aid stations further out on the course (pretty standard at all IMs).  

As you make the last left turn onto Sherman when you finish the run, you'll be met with both sides of the street cheering you on.  That's one of the things that sets the finish here apart from some others, like IMAZ, in that the run down Sherman essentially is an extension of the finish chute, so you get about 300-400m more finish chute "energy" before you ever actually get to the chute.  If its early in the evening and the weather is good, you'll have the sun in your face.  Enjoy it - take it all in...there is nothing like your first IM finish, IMHO (except maybe your first KQ...though I'm a long way from ever pulling that off   ).

Now, get out there and train....

2011-07-14 6:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Herriman, Utah
Yes, the bike course was scenic. Trust me, I was out there for almost eight hours! But, honestly, I enjoyed the signs and the chalk messages outside of the city almost as much as the awesome scenery.

One of the highlights for me at CDA was how we went through the city a bunch of times. It was like a party the entire time - especially on the first bike loop and on the run. My family and some friends stationed themselves in the city, so I also had that to look forward to. The energy was SO vibrant and stimulating it just made me smile almost the entire time in the city!

I loved riding/running (haha...more like waddling) through the neighborhoods as well. Even though I was completely exhausted on the run, these locals just willed you on with their excitement and zany antics/actions. It was a riot!

And the most beautiful site in the world pales in comparison to that final run down Sherman Avenue. My heart is smiling just thinking of that amazing and grand finale just past 11:30 p.m.

It's easy to be miffed about what you might miss out on. But, please, let what you will experience motivate you! It's SO worth it.

2011-07-14 8:03 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Traverse City, MI
This will be IM #2 for me after doing St George in 2010.  While I have not been to CDA I'm kinda disappointed to hear the bike course will have less hills, and probably less populated.  Although I'm so excited about training and taking a 3 week vacation for this!

How is the elevation for the run course? I have not been able to find this anywhere?
2011-07-14 8:58 PM
in reply to: #3597327

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL

emd9702 - 2011-07-14 9:03 PM

How is the elevation for the run course? I have not been able to find this anywhere?

It has lots of gradual ups and downs the whole way and a couple big, long hills towards the turn around.

http://www.mapmyride.com/s/routes/view/long-run-map/idaho/coeur-d039alene/33931452

2011-07-14 9:42 PM
in reply to: #3597094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spokane, Wa
donwah - 2011-07-14 5:15 PMbit off topic to what has been discussed, and i know its far off, however,.... ive heard a few people talk about the atmosphere downtown CDA and how that really helps make this event, if anyone has the time or inclination, could you write a wee bit more about this?.. (just to give me an idea and to further amp up my rapidly growing buzz of doing this next year)also to try and put a positive tint to things, because to be honest as a newbie who has already signed up, all the talk of the bike course is putting a small grey cloud over it all..
I'm with the wolf! This race is great because of the city. They really love Ironman here and everyone comes out to cheer. The bike course changing is being overblown. Its still a nice ride. It's not like they send out into a desert. I live here and have driven road many times it's pretty nice too.
2011-07-15 6:40 AM

User image

Regular
Raleigh, NC
The Wolf, Mrwrite, Mallen4574... Thank you all for your info on the race... was just what the Dr ordered... well pumped for this race, it sounds fantastic.

The Wolf, great description of what i can hopefully look forward to as i finish and complete my IM.

Hope to chat with you guys more. Again BT comes through with some top folk.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Coeur d'Alene : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 56