World Triathlon Corporation
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 28m 46s
Overall Rank = 910/1600
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 120/199
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:00am stretched out in the hotel hand my usual bagel with peanut butter and some gatorade. Took the 4:15 shuttle over the Lincoln Woods Park. I kept thinking that I should be coming home at this time not going to a triathlon. When I got to the the site and get ready to pump my tires I realize that my front tire blew yesterday in the heat. i get a little stressed and go wait on line for the bike mechanics. The change out the tube quickly and I get to hit the porta potties. The tire issue will come up again later. Talk for a bit with soe guys from my tri team and head over to the lake.
Event warmup:

The water in the lake was super warm so no wetsuits. Not a big deal. My wave did not go off until almost an hour after the race start so I waited awhile before swimming. Did about a ten minute warm up and felt ready to go.
Swim
  • 41m 28s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 58s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started out to the right in in line with th efirst buoys heading into the turn. There was some minimal contact and I hit th efirst two buoys dead one straight. As I rounded the buoy the sun was right in your eyes the whole time. Despite this I was able to stay straight and swamalong the buoys the whole way. Caught some feet a few times and was able to draft. At the turn I drifted to the left and went off course a bit. Got out the water feeling fine. I was hoping for a little faster time but they may be because of the lack of a wetsuit.
What would you do differently?:

I felt good getting out of the water. Try and swim straight on the way back in.
Transition 1
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

About a 100 yard run from the beach to T1.
Bike
  • 3h 40m 17s
  • 56 miles
  • 15.25 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the fun started. First I was totally under trained for the bike. My longest ride was 40 miles a few times. I knew the ride would be difficult and I did not have high expectations. About three miles into the ride I hear soemthing rubbing on my front tire. i think its the breaks so I reach down and adjust them. the sound continues and gets louder. I pull over to check it out and my front tube pops through the tire bead. I'm thinking crap the race is over i don't have another tire to use. Twopeople pull up on a motorcycle and call the support van which arrives within 15 minutes. He gives me a rim and a tire from his van and puts in on my bike. they were great. I hope back on the back and go. The course is totally different from two years ago and much tougher. Its all rolling hills very few flat sections. A killer hill at mile 28. The last ten miles are ROUGH roads with potholes and railroad tracks. there were soem spopts where I felt strong. My nutrition was on, this was a problem during my last HIM.
What would you do differently?:

While it was a tough course I think it had more to do with my lack of training on the bike than anything else. I got through it and tahts all I could dp.
Transition 2
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

T2 was laid out the night before everything was in a bag ready to go.
Run
  • 2h 01m 18s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy to be off the bike and saw my family coming out of T2. They eliminated a big hill from two years ago, which was nice. Bythe time I started the run it was at least 90 degrees. I grabbed sponges, water and a bannanna at every aid station. Took a gu at miles 3, 6, & 9. Those cold sponges are the best. I ran the whole course and was hoping for under two hours. I just kept moving forward the whole time and I felt pretty good during the run. The volunteers were great.
Post race
Warm down:

Got my hat and took my finishers photo. Met up with the family and got some pizza. Took an ice bath and let the kids pour buckets of ice on me which they loved. Let the wife hit up the mall solo while me and the kids stayed in the room. Went to a restaurant for a bacon cheeseburger and a Sam Adams summer ale.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on the bike. Nuff said!

Event comments:

Not a bad race. The point to point was much more convient than two years ago, when you had an hours drive to Naragansett. It was a nice little weekend vacation for us. My wife wants to do the race in two years.

Last updated: 2011-01-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:41:28 | 2112 yards | 01m 58s / 100yards
Age Group: 71/199
Overall: 540/1600
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Counter clockwise sort of a rectangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:18
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:40:17 | 56 miles | 15.25 mile/hr
Age Group: 142/199
Overall: 1091/1600
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Point to Point course through rolling hills of Rhode Island. the last ten miles are rough roads. Weaving around pot holes like slalom skiing. Big hill at mile 28.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:01:18 | 13.1 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 120/199
Overall: 910/1600
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops through Providence takes you near Brown University. First part is down hill then a slow steady climb for about 1.5 miles and you turn around and head down the hill to the next section which is all flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2011-07-14 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island

2011-07-14 4:40 PM
in reply to: #3596267

User image

Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island
Nice report.  That stinks about the tire but it was great that they gave you a new one to use.
2011-07-16 1:19 PM

User image

Hey Ralph, congrats on another 70.3 in the bag.  That sucks about the front tire.  You and the bike are just not getting along   I feel for you, cause I too love Running and I'm not super fond of the Bike.  What I've done is learn to like the Bike because it's what gets me to the run.  Most of my Long Bikes are also done with a friend so my "Long Bikes" are no longer boring, lonely trips -- they are me and a friend chatting.  It also helps when I bike with other guys who are faster than me because it pushes me outside my comfort zone. 

Congrats on another 70.3!! 
2012-02-25 2:19 PM

Hi,

I am doing the Rhode Island 70.3 this year. Do you recall how many waves there were? and what wave you were in?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island Rss Feed