Midwest Sports Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 26s
Overall Rank = 57/1100
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/49
Pre-race routine:

Kind of casual about this race since it was not an "A" race for me. Ate a waffle and Mt dew on the way there.
Event warmup:

Racked my bike and used my run to the bathroom as my warm-up. I did get in the water before the start which I have never done. Since I was in wave 1 and it was warm im the water I figured it would be good to get in and test mh shoulder.
Swim
  • 06m 48s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 33s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy crap..I was in wave 1 this time...the "Elite" wave...that made me laugh because I hardly feel like I am elite...I had watched this wave last year and saw what a splashing free or all it was as opposed to the other waves wherepeople were not quite as agressive. So I found a place off to the side figuring that there were fewer people ahead of me to jump on and less beind me to mob me. WRONG I got slammed. the first 50 to 100 yards I seriously thought I was going to drown. I ended up either swimming on top of someone or under them. I finally found a space but not until I ahd taken in quite a few mouthfuls. After that I was pretty smooth. The lat stretch is the hardest because the sun is in your eyes so sighting is very difficult. Luckily I saw a pink cap that I recognized (Heather Haviland) next to me and figured that she has to know where she is going so I stayed even with her.
What would you do differently?:

Good question...grow fins so I can outswim the mob..this time was about 40 seconds fater thant last year :)..also I should waer tinted googles so I can see into the sun better
Transition 1
  • 00m 46s
Comments:

Pretty decent. It was nice beacuse we were racked right at the swim out and very cose to the bike out

Next step isto learn how to strat with my shoes alread on the bike
Bike
  • 45m 6s
  • 15.5 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

HUGE improvement over last year. Dropped pver 2 miuntes off my time. Working with Heather on cornering and hills paid off big time. Stayed in aero whenever possible. First wave meant that I would be passed and that I was..only by 3 women though. I was als 10 the female and last year I doubt I even cracke the top 25%!

I still need to get better at shifting on the hills. I end up getting stuck in the big chain ring. I was much more aggressive on the corners and downhills but there is always room for improvment!
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Great transition until I ran the wrong way and ended up doing a circle around where my bike was racked. This was a rookie mistake that I am quite ashamed of :(

Remember that the run out was literally right behind me.
Run
  • 21m 52s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

Well this is about what I expected. 1 minutes slower than last year. If the hills hadn't been there I could have gone sub 7's but still slower. Training for Racine took away my speed and I am ok with that ...at least until after Racine :)

I was really sick to my stomach the whole run and I do not know why so that I would change if I knew how.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was not an A race for me so I didn't really taper. Also my running right now is not sprint oriented. Those are the 2 main limitations.

But this was over a 2 minute PR on the course for me and last year I was the 11th female, this year the 6th...really pleased with my race!

Event comments:

I gave it a 5 because I love this race - 3rd time I have done it (2nd time as an individual). I really liked how Attitude Sports had their team out on the course marshalling it and even called a couple of guys ahead of me for drafting...also felt very safe on the bike course with good amount of police presence and traffic control.

Last updated: 2011-01-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:48 | 440 yards | 01m 33s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/49
Overall: 0/1100
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out around and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:46
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:45:06 | 15.5 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/49
Overall: 0/1100
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: This is a very hilly course with some sharp turns. I would say it is pretty techincal
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good