General Discussion Race Reports! » 21st Annual Independence Day Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

21st Annual Independence Day Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Coconut Creek, Florida
United States
Multirace.com
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 59s
Overall Rank = 141/409
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/18
Pre-race routine:

The "21st Annual Independence Day Triathlon" was another great Event organized for the well known people of

Photobucket

Event that took place at Tradewinds Park in Coconut Creek, FL the 4th of July...with a Duathlon and Triathlon at the same time...with 123 duathletes and 409 triathletes...for a total of 532 participants...

Friday July 1st: Last Bike/Run workouts before Monday Race.

Saturday July 2nd: Last Swimming work-out before Monday Race and We had one of our usual Full Carbo Load dinner: Garlic Seasoned Pasta with Shrimp, broccoli, carrots and cron...very Yummmmmmy...!!!

Sunday July 3rd: Mandatory Day Off...Woke-up late...had full breakfast...OJ, eggs, toasted bagel with cream chesse and slices of turkey, salame and brie on top, and coffee w/milk...Nice...!!!

Washed / waxed / lubed / tuned bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...prepared/ packed all my Race Stuff and beverages for Race...

Had early dinner...grilled salmon, wild rice and green salad...

Loaded bikes and Tri-bags into the SUV...and...went to bed at 9:00 pm...ZZZZzzzz

Monday 4th of July: Woke-up at 4:00 am...Got dressed...took Mariah our dog out...took our usual Pre-Race breakfast: OJ for both...Buddy got a waffle with PB and coffee and for me my usual Soy Protein Shake (chocolate) and our usual packages of Multi-Vitamisn and MInerals, Amino 1500, Glucosamine and CO-Q-10...

Took our coolers with beverages and left from home around 4:30 am...In our way to Race...it was raining...a very lite shower...and...looked that We would have a wet Race...Yikes...!!!
It took us 1hr 10 minutes to get there included our usual technical stop by the Pompano Beach Service Plaza to avoid the long lines at the Restrooms...LOL And Thanks Godness the rain stopped but still all were wet...

Got inside the Park very fast...the lines were moving fast cuz they were not charging the entry fee...Nice...!!!

Parked car very close to Transition...took our bikes, Tri-bags and coolers and headed directly to get our Race Packages...and..timing chips...

Buddy got the Bid# 450 / gold cap...and...for me...Bid# 387 / pink cap...awwwwwwww...horror...the funky pinky cap...I hate this color...LOL

Independence Day Triathlon - July 4th 2011

Beside of our Bid#s and Swimming Caps...We got a nice high-tech t-shirt..and...the goodie bags...

Went to Transition...to my rack area...racked bike in the last spot in the rack...and...2 racks from my rack..there were a girl that looked like Chiqui from RWTF...went to say Hi and asked her to help me with my Bodymarking...Thanks Chiqui...!!! LOL

And went to my rack area to set-up all my Race Stuff as usual:

Helmet over seat...a green towel at the side of my bike instead in front...and...over...my biking/running shoes...sunglasses over my biking shoes...and...my belt with Bid# inside my hat warpped next to my running shoes and a bottle of frozen water...

Checked tires, gears of bike and cyclocomputer...and...went to check exit/entrances...

Placed my Tri-bag and cooler out of the rack area next to the fence...sat over my cooler...closed eyes...and...did a final visualization of my Race...put my timing chip onmy left ankle...took 1 Hammer Gel...2 Endurolytes...with water and a mix of G2/Accelerade...

Took googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and headed to the Swim Area at the lake...
Event warmup:

At the Swimming Area...after some stretching jumped into the lake for a short warm-up..swam maybe 100 mts and went back to shore to join with Buddy and some of our tri-friends...

Here with 2 great tri-girlfriends...Julie and the super-veteran 15 times Ironman Finisher Patricia...

Photobucket

The Race started as usual in time at 7:00 am with the 1st Wave (Pro/Elites and Physical Challenge)...and...after 2 minutes...the Duathlon in mass...and the rest of the Waves...every 3 minutes...

Buddy was in the 4th Wave (Male 40+ AG) at 7:08 am...and...me...in the Wave#6 (Female 40+ AG) at 7:14 am...

Here a view of the lake before Race started...

20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon
Swim
  • 08m 58s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 14s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim is a 1/4 mile point-to-point swim in the Tradewinds lake...

When they gave us green light to start...jumped into the water and started to swim as usual with a constante stroke...trying to draft behind of some fast swimmers but they took off very fast..

It was a nice swimming cuz everybody spreaded out without any combat or contact...

Just when my fingers touched sand...got up and ran as fast as possible to the Swim Exit Arch...

What would you do differently?:

Train more in my swimming...I have had many thunderstorms lately and not too much swimming workouts..Yike..!!!
Transition 1
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

It was a fast Transition as usual...the 2nd fastest in my AG and 83th Overall / 409...WooooHoooo....not bad even the circunstances...!!!

It was a short run from the Swim Exit to Transition Area...
Just when I ran over the mats at the Swim Exit Arch...removed googles, swimming cap and wax ear-plugs and put them inside the cap...and...running as fast as possible at the same time to Transition Area...

At my rack area...by my surprise...someone put his/her backpack over my biking shoes...WTH...I took it and tossed to the fence...Grrrrr....put first sunglasees and helmet...and...at the same time biking shoes...took bike and ran very fast out of Transition to the mount area...

Practice and practice...
Bike
  • 29m 27s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.37 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course makes 2 loops around the south and north ends of Tradewinds Park...It's closed to cars and is completely contained inside of the park. Also It's a very fast Bike Course but with some very sharp turns...

Just in the mount area...jumped over my bike and took off...cranking as usual like crazy...passing a lot of people...even...there werea lot of bike traffic, the roads were all wet, and managing very well the sharp turns...but...I know that my bike is one of my strength legs beside my run...and...I knew that I was doing great...at least at the 5 tops of my AG...

Here some pics on my first loop..

PhotobucketIndependence Day Triathlon - July 4th 2011

And here in my 2nd loop...

Independence Day Triathlon - July 4th 2011 PhotobucketPhotobucket

Just before the last mile approching to Transition Area...my good tri-girlfriend Julie reached/passed me...She is usually one of the fastest Female Overall on the Bike...but...she said to me "WTH...this time I had problem to reach you"...LOL...but...that comment made me feel great and I told her..."Watch-out cuz Super-Velo is getting more powerful on her bike" LOL

Got at the desmount area and desmounted like usual..like the Pro/Elites...but...keeping shoes on and jumped off the bike and ran fast inside to Transition Area...but...passing first my friend Julie...LOL

Continue with my trainings...I know that I have improved more and more...
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Another fast Transition as usual...but...thisd time...the 4th fastest in my AG and 130th Overall / 409...not bad at all...!!!

Got at my rack arae...and...again...Shi@!@#$%^%$#t...this person placed all his/her stuff over my shoes...WTH...I was very mad...and...tossed all over the fence...LOL...but...made me lose a valuable time...Grrrrr...!!!

Racked bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...and...took my hat with Bid# and my bottle of water and ran as fast as possible out of Transition...

Practice and practice...and...next time toss the bag place over my stuff to the lake...LOL (J/K)
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

This Run Course is relatively new and goes along the path next to the lake in a counter-clockwise fashion...and...We had to complete 2 laps here as well to make the 3 miles...BTW...the debut of this Course was last year for the same Race... 20th Annual Independence Day Triathlon...LOL

Just out of Transition running not too fast and not too slow with a constante pace...put my hat and my race belt with Bid#...drank some water from my bottle and tossed some over my head/neck...and...started to increase speed...passing more and more people...

Here a sequence of pics during my run...

PhotobucketPhotobucket PhotobucketPhotobucket Photobucket

Just when I started my 2nd Lap...I increased more my speed...and...after the last water station started to sprint till the Finish Line...

Here approching to the Finish Line...

Photobucket

And here at the Finish Line...

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Continue with my trainings..I know I could do it better...my best time in this new Run Course is 24m33s..only for 6 secs...Grrrr...!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Just after I passed the Finish Line...I volunteer gave to me a bottle of water...other one took off my timing chip from my left ankle...and...other one gave to me the Finisher Medal...

Met with Buddy and went to Transition Area to collect/pack all our Race Stuff...and...took them with the bikes to the car...

Went to check Results finding that I got 3rdth place in my AG..a very competitive AG...but...WoooHooo..!!!

Age Group Female 45-49: 3rd / 18th women

Female Overall: 27th / 150 women

Overall: 141th / 409 triathletes

Total Time: 01hr 04m 59s

Damn...Unbelievable...I didn't PR for only 1 sec...but...very happy with my Bike Split...even NOT PR either...LOL

Here at the Award Ceremony:

Photobucket

And the Medal Award and Finisher Medal:

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The #$@%^$# Backpack over my Race Stuff in Transition...the bike traffic and wet conditions on the road...but...even all the circunstances...I think I did an Excellent Race...!!!

Event comments:

Another MultiRace Great and very well organized Event as usual...on time...lots of volunteers...plenty of water stations...and...great Post Race activities and food...that...recommend to everybody...in special beginners...

Last updated: 2011-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:58 | 400 meters | 02m 14s / 100meters
Age Group: 6/18
Overall: 221/409
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 8F / -13C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:57
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:29:27 | 10 miles | 20.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 156/409
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:39 | 03 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/18
Overall: 141/409
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2011-07-14 12:42 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: 21st Annual Independence Day Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 21st Annual Independence Day Triathlon Rss Feed