General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad experience with first OWS Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-15 7:45 AM

Subject: Bad experience with first OWS
I am planning on doing my first tri tomorrow swimming 1/4 mile in a lake.   I'm not the fastest strongest swimmer but i have been swimming about 1/2 mile at the local YMCA for the past few years.   I figure if i can swim 1/2 mile in a pool i should have no trouble swimming half that in a lake.   Last night i did my first OWS i got in the water and started swimming.   The problem was i started breathing to fast almost hyperventilating and had to stop twice to catch my breathe because i was so tired.   The second time i went slow felt a lot better got into a rhythm and was able to make it with out stopping.   Actually that's not true i stopped twice to make sure i was going in the right direction but not because i was tired.  

2011-07-15 7:57 AM
in reply to: #3597765

User image

Subject: RE: Bad experience with first OWS
Yup. Don't sweat it. People who have been pool swimming their whole lives can and often do end up freaking out on their first couple OWSs.

Get back in the lake and just screw around. Don't go for time, don't try to go all the way out to that dock or whatever, just swim a bit, paddle around a bit, swim a bit, talk with your buddy, swim a bit. Do that a few times and it'll calm down for you.

2011-07-15 8:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Just South of Disorder

Been there had that several times. How do you get over it??? Good question. To make a long story short. I looked into this quite a bit several months ago. What is the difference between practice OWS in a lake and Race day OWS in a lake?  My answer.....more adrenaline and more nerves. What I did and so far it has worked for me was no stimulants before the race. No Coffee; Red Bull; 5 hour energy drink etc. I also didn't drink all that much of my electrolyte drink, just water. Then I put myself in a mind set that what ever negative things people talked about at the race start was there problem. "Oh I don't like the swim" " Can't wait till this parts over" etc Don't let other people's negative thoughts get in your head.

Now with that being said you must do a swim warm up before the race. Get in get wet put water in your wet suit. Swim 200 yards. Put your head down and swim, nice and easy. count your strokes clear your head. Check where the markers are and just look for them. Don't worry about who passes  you or who you might pass. Tunnel vision my friend. If somebody bumps into  you be Strong, don't stop and say I'm sorry. It's your water too.

In addition make sure you exhale. That is very very important. That is most likely why you hyperventilated. If you need to yell into the water when you exhale. I kind of do a growl or grunt sound to remind myself that I am exhaling. I also let the people in my wave go out about 25 to 50 yards before I started. I followed behind them found my line to the first buoy and went in. My goal was to finish the swim feeling good and I did. The next race I felt confident enough to start up front with my wave group but that was only because of what I did the previous wave. Good luck I hope some of this helps you out. Keep at it.

2011-07-15 8:26 AM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
In the Open Water its much more difficult to gage speed. Many people, unaccustomed to the experience, tend to go out far to fast. They end up gasping for air with deteriorating technique. You did the smart thing by swimming slower.
2011-07-15 9:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2011-07-15 3:00 PM

i find counting my strokes helps alot.  i typically count 5-8 strokes and then site the buoys.  It seems to calm my mind and makes the swim go by pretty quick.  Pretty much everyone freaks out their first OWS, the important thing is to get it all back under control. 

2011-07-15 3:36 PM

Master
University Park, MD
I've had similar experiences. I find that it helps to simply keep telling myself at the start to just relax and try to find a steady rhythm. I don't think about anything else - not the distance, not the rest of the race, not the other competitors - then once I've settled down a bit, I can start worrying about pushing harder and all that other stuff.
2011-07-15 4:36 PM

Expert
Your experience is exactly why a practice ows is an absolute necessity before your first tri. Something about getting in water that's not clear, colder than you're use to, and not knowing where the bottom is, just freaks you out. Get back in, you'll get the hang of it quickly and won't even think about it during the race.

2011-07-16 9:16 AM

Veteran
Calgary

I did my first Olympic and OWS race early in July.  My test swim in the same lake a week before the races was a disaster - I just couldn't force myself to keep up a steady freestyle and had to breast stroke at least half of the course.  Of course I had heard that many people get freaked out by their first OWS but I didn't expect that it would happen to me.

Fortunately I seemed to get the worst of the freaking-out out of my system during the practice swim and I was okay with the OWS on race day.

Edited by donw 2011-07-16 9:17 AM
2011-07-16 9:41 AM

Veteran
Denver, CO
Get in the water for a minute or two before starting to swim. Your breathing goes haywire when you get in cold water, and calms down pretty quickly.
2011-07-17 5:18 AM

Reading, PA
At least you were smart enough not do to your first OWS in a race. I did . . . and practically wore myself out trying to keep my face out of the water the whole time. Best money I've spent in sports so far was the OWS clinic I took with mid-atlantic multisport.

2011-07-18 8:38 AM

Thanks for all of the advice I completed my first tri on Saturday without any trouble.   The swim was going good until the last 50 yards when the next wave caught up to me.   Luckily i didn't panic and completed the swim portion without any problems.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bad experience with first OWS Rss Feed