General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2011-08-12 11:17 AM
in reply to: #3598087

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread

Overall this was a great race....I thought it was ran very well, even running on the left side of the trail wasnt bad, and I thought the areas that my have caused some issue like entering and exiting the water, they had voluteers to help you.... reallly what else could you ask for....I personally thought it was a great race and def lived up to its reputation that many told me prior. I will be there next year becasue I have some unfinished business with that swim,...haha..

2011-08-12 12:15 PM
in reply to: #3640679

cbire880 - 2011-08-12 9:50 AM There were lots of flats.  I heard anecdotal evidence of the locals throwing glass and debris in protest, but I did not encounter any flat trouble or much debris.  Likely, the early rain washed some debris on the road which caused trouble.  I would also venture that many of the cyclists were using wheels and tires that hadn't been ridden much and were subject to weakening from dry rot.  That could mean they don't maintain their bike or they were riding race equipment that isn't used frequently.  I knew 7 racers including myself that day.  None of us had trouble with flats.  3 of us use race wheels (SRAMS and Reynolds).

Really?!?!?!?  This was my first flat EVER on a race and most importantly, this was my first flat on the set of tires that I have on my bike and those tires are fairly new!!!  Please don't assume that everyone (or the majority) that got a flat doesn't maintain their bike/equipment.  On those same exact tires I did the EagleMan 70.3 in June as well as a month earlier I rode the same course  we did last Sunday after swimming the Steelman Open Water Swim......and NO FLATS.  Prior to the race I inspected my tires and found nothing that would alarm me to change them.  As I previously posted I've done this event 5 out of the 7 years and have had no problems...and this includes my friends as well as other family members.  Flats or mechanical issues happen regardless of how well or poorly you maintain your bike; understandibly the latter will have a higher probability of occuring. 

As I was walking my bike back toward the T2 area my wife and sister were trying to encourage me and a lady standing next to them said the following...."If you haven't DNFd or had a flat during a race, then you haven't raced enough"  And while I was so sore about geting a flat and not being able to finish strong, when my wife told me this I just laughed.

Edited by jmhc74 2011-08-12 12:21 PM
2011-08-12 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Mechanical issues affect everyone eventually. I have been lucky and only had 2 flats out of 30 or so races so I consider myself lucky. Some of that goes to good bike maint. some goes to good equipment choices but perhaps most importantly it goes to luck. Having a flat shouldn't be the end of your day. Many races have no on course support so all should be able to do minor repairs and absolutely be able to fix at least one flat on your own on the course.
2011-08-12 8:28 PM
in reply to: #3641059

User image

jmhc74 - 2011-08-12 1:15 PM

cbire880 - 2011-08-12 9:50 AM There were lots of flats.  I heard anecdotal evidence of the locals throwing glass and debris in protest, but I did not encounter any flat trouble or much debris.  Likely, the early rain washed some debris on the road which caused trouble.  I would also venture that many of the cyclists were using wheels and tires that hadn't been ridden much and were subject to weakening from dry rot.  That could mean they don't maintain their bike or they were riding race equipment that isn't used frequently.  I knew 7 racers including myself that day.  None of us had trouble with flats.  3 of us use race wheels (SRAMS and Reynolds).

Really?!?!?!?  This was my first flat EVER on a race and most importantly, this was my first flat on the set of tires that I have on my bike and those tires are fairly new!!!  Please don't assume that everyone (or the majority) that got a flat doesn't maintain their bike/equipment.  On those same exact tires I did the EagleMan 70.3 in June as well as a month earlier I rode the same course  we did last Sunday after swimming the Steelman Open Water Swim......and NO FLATS.  Prior to the race I inspected my tires and found nothing that would alarm me to change them.  As I previously posted I've done this event 5 out of the 7 years and have had no problems...and this includes my friends as well as other family members.  Flats or mechanical issues happen regardless of how well or poorly you maintain your bike; understandibly the latter will have a higher probability of occuring. 

As I was walking my bike back toward the T2 area my wife and sister were trying to encourage me and a lady standing next to them said the following...."If you haven't DNFd or had a flat during a race, then you haven't raced enough"  And while I was so sore about geting a flat and not being able to finish strong, when my wife told me this I just laughed.

Considering I mech'd out of Steelman last year and walked 3 miles back in due to a shredded chain, I understand that aspect of racing.  You also misunderstood the definition of "many".  I did not say all racers.  When I see flatted out competitors sitting along the side of the road instead of trying to repair or walk back in (I passed one dude on nice equipment on both laps who hadn't moved an inch by the second pass), I suspect they lack the knowledge or preparedness to perform the necessary field repairs in triathlon.

You were the bad luck dude.  I've been there and I understand.  It happens every race, but there were a high number of flats last weekend.  The conditions on the SRT are a far greater threat to your wheels and tubes than Steelman was last weekend.

2011-08-12 10:08 PM

User image

New user

I am far from experienced in the world of tri. Only my third season doing this, six total races under my belt, third Steelman. Train serious for six months a year, drink serious lager the other six months.

Wouldn't it be fun if it was required to post your bib# to make a post.

I gotta comment on georover33.

Portapotties: I had absolutley no problem finding them twice. waiting 10 mins in line, strike up a conversation with people in line and have time to do my nervous gut business.

Rain: that was not rain. rain is my first ever race at steelman 2009.  sorry, rain is just part of the experience. rain=water=lake =swim

Bike Racks: i got there at 6:00, all racks had 5 bikes on them. had no problem being the 6th man.

Treacherous start and finish for swim: Rocks in a lake, sounds fairly common to me.  Part of the experience.  Plenty of great volunteers at start and one guy on each arm at exit was nice sling shot effect.  thanks

Bike course hilly: that is not hilly, meet me in north central PA and we'll go for a ride. that road is better than any road i ride on at home. closed to vehicles and wider than wide.

Blown tires: @ 1000 participants. i was in wave 7 sprint. i counted 5 breakdowns 4 were flats 1 mechanical.  just doesn't seem like a big number to me.

Poorly marked: not much to mark on a course that mostly out and back. except for distance mix up, athlete note took care of general idea on course.

Run course too narrow: it's on a trail, yep it's gonna be narrow. part of the experience.  had no problem passing 10 people. run distance signs easy to understand, volunteers very helpful directing too.  georover33, help me, those head on running collisons you referenced, how do you have one if you are running forward with your eyes open?

No aspect of any race can be perfect, that's what makes doing different events fun. if they were all the same with perfect conditions we'd all get a bit bored. considering there are so many people in a confined area like this they do a great job.  can't wait for next year. 

2011-08-13 7:37 PM

New user

This was my fourth tri this season and probably my favorite.  I liked the venue, the information was great and the race was well run in my opinion. 

2011-08-15 12:04 PM

User image

I love the developing Steelman Mafia.  In the interest of full disclosure, I was #177.
2011-08-16 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
I am unabashed.  Bib #33 this year
2011-08-16 8:12 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
I will go on record. 275 checking in... while at it 3rd in my age group... 45-49. Doesn't happen often so please bear with me.
2011-08-16 10:01 PM
in reply to: #3646566

User image

Veteran
Bib #69 A female volunteer looked down at the aid station and said, "that's a bib worth keeping".
2011-08-18 8:31 PM

New user

I was #333.....

2011-08-19 6:17 AM

User image

#908 checking in
2011-08-19 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran

In my Olympic Debut I was #196.....

2011-08-22 2:11 PM
in reply to: #3638236

Feel free to make excuses for the race.  I was being generous......the run 5k/10k course was horrible for the Olympic Distance......extremely congested.   Been racing since 1992  I'll never race there again.  John
2011-08-22 2:20 PM
in reply to: #3638236

What are you related to the RD?  Your responses are ignorant.  I have been to numerous other race that seem to have been able to figure out a better way to execute a triathlon with better planing and organization........I will pass on this race next year and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  Other than the Pizza at the end of the race......Dang that was some great Pizza!!!
2011-08-22 2:24 PM
in reply to: #3637911

I agree.....this race still has a lot of room to grow.

2011-08-22 2:40 PM
in reply to: #3639680

I have been doing triathlons for a long time and I have rarely felt the need to give any feedback.  I researched this race online because I am new to the area and based on the reviews I just had higher expectations.......This was an AVERAGE race....not bad but not great.  Or at least not as great as several people made it out to be.......If you loved it....then good for you.  I didn't ....in fact I been to several smaller races in New Jersey that were very well orgainzed and the route had plenty of room to actually compete. 
2011-08-22 3:31 PM
in reply to: #3637665

noofus - 2011-08-10 11:13 AM
georover33 - 2011-08-10 11:22 AM

Overall poor race. C-

I think most of the feedback posted is extremely generous.  I personally had a good race but, i gave this race a fair assessment.  I stand by this assessment.

Pre Race Overall C. Needed more Portajohns and a few additional tents to deal with the rain.  The bike corral was only marked by waves....some people took more space for transition while other people got jammed up on top of each other.  Poor transition space management.

Solution: Get there earlier. 

Answer: Didn't ask for a Solution.  Wish race organizers participated in more races instead of waiting for reviews.

Get your preferred transition rack space.  If people are taking up too much room dont be passive agressive about it.  Just tell them to move over. 

I was there plenty early had my space all set up.......then had to deal with either pathetic people begging for space or jerks just trying to squeeze there bike in.  Once again.....shouldn't be my issue to deal with all it takes is a little pre-planning.

There were plenty of porto-potties.  Really? You didn't notice the HUGE line?

Once again, get there earlier and get your potty-time taken care of early.  Dont blame the RD for your lack of ability to plan the timing of your bowels. 

Are portapotties that expensive.......all races seem to have the same problem. really? is it that hard?

Swim. Overall C. Treacherous start and finish for the swim. The rocks as you enter the water were extremely painful and the finish on the boat ramp was extremly slippery.  The volunteers were only limited value to help exit.

Is there such a thing as a non-treacherous OWS start?  I didnt know they could make non-rocky areas for entry and non-slippery boat ramps for exits.  The volunteers did a great job of helping extract people. 

I agree volunteers did the best they could.

Overall C. Bike route is very hilly and only the breakdown lane is rideable due to the poor road conditions and was extremely congested.  Throughout bike portion several people with blown tires not surprised based on the road.  poorly marked.  They used chalk. The distance was off  was it 24 miles or 26?  I know what my GPS says

Very Hilly?  HTFU.  Thats not a hilly course.  Thats about as flat a tri course as you will find in PA. 

Congested?  Its two full lanes wide.  You could ride five abreast on that road.  I didnt think the turnarounds were poorly marked at all.  

I didn't think the turnaround was poorly marked either......it was the turnoff to go back to the transition area as well as the route along that road that was confusing. 

Its not hard to see a giant orange cone in the middle of the road.  Or were you out in front the whole time and didnt see where everyone else was turning?  I would guess not if you were complaining it was congested. 

All level were riding together because you had the elite on the olympic riding along with everyone else because the olympic was 2 laps. Like I mentioned the road was unridable except for the occasional pass.  Everyone was jammed up on the breakdown lane.  Then there was the occasional assist vehicle that coned off the entire breakdown lane.

Yes the course was longer than advertised.  So it was 26.8 miles.  Big deal.  Everyone had to ride the same course.  Whats an extra 2 miles?

Professional?  Not really?  Are GPSs that diffucult to purchase these days......where is USAT? Who verifies this stuff?

Overall D.  The run course was way too narrow for both the sprint and olympic races it was impossible to pass at times and had near head on collisions.  Mile makers were confusing.

I dont get how they were confusing.  I know there were some places where on the 10k course you might see mile 5 before you saw mile 2 due to the two-loop course, but seriously, did you think you were already at mile 5 before you got to mile 2?

I've seen racing markers done better......and it was extremely congested.  I'll assume based on your lack of comment that you agree it was too congested.

2011-08-22 9:59 PM

User image

Expert
Lansdale, PA.
Almighty then... let's all just agree to disagree. We each had our own experiences some good some bad. Let move along now. Nothing to see here...
2011-08-23 11:07 AM

User image

Veteran
is it me or did this thread get out of hand.....: )
2011-08-27 3:17 PM
in reply to: #3654139

User image

Regular
Fogelsville , Pennsylvania

georover33 - 2011-08-22 3:40 PM I have been doing triathlons for a long time and I have rarely felt the need to give any feedback.  I researched this race online because I am new to the area and based on the reviews I just had higher expectations.......This was an AVERAGE race....not bad but not great.  Or at least not as great as several people made it out to be.......If you loved it....then good for you.  I didn't ....in fact I been to several smaller races in New Jersey that were very well orgainzed and the route had plenty of room to actually compete. 

Welcome to the area.  Not exactly Jersey flat that's for sure but the locals, including myself,  pretty much consider that a faster rolling hills course...atleast in Bucks Co and surrounding counties.  I haven't done the Steelman in a few years but last time I did it I liked it.  Every year I competed in it the weather was much nicer though. 

I'm looking to do some flat faaaaaaaaaast Oly courses next year.  What do you suggest? 

2011-08-27 4:51 PM
in reply to: #3654139

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
georover33 - 2011-08-22 3:40 PM

I have been doing triathlons for a long time and I have rarely felt the need to give any feedback.  I researched this race online because I am new to the area and based on the reviews I just had higher expectations.......This was an AVERAGE race....not bad but not great.  Or at least not as great as several people made it out to be.......If you loved it....then good for you.  I didn't ....in fact I been to several smaller races in New Jersey that were very well orgainzed and the route had plenty of room to actually compete. 

I still find it odd that all of your SIX posts on BT have been to complain about this race.... Okay, we get it. Steelman is not your race. I'm sure they won't suffer too much if you decide to skip it next year. All the more room for those of us who DO enjoy the race. Every race location has it's challenges. If you don't like the particular challenges of this race, then that's fine - don't do it again. But I will say it again - it sure looks like to me that you opened a new user account on this site JUST so you could complain about this race, which is a) not cool; and b) makes me suspicious of your motives.....

2011-09-23 1:17 PM
in reply to: #3662193

jsnowash - 2011-08-27 4:51 PM
georover33 - 2011-08-22 3:40 PM I have been doing triathlons for a long time and I have rarely felt the need to give any feedback.  I researched this race online because I am new to the area and based on the reviews I just had higher expectations.......This was an AVERAGE race....not bad but not great.  Or at least not as great as several people made it out to be.......If you loved it....then good for you.  I didn't ....in fact I been to several smaller races in New Jersey that were very well orgainzed and the route had plenty of room to actually compete. 
I still find it odd that all of your SIX posts on BT have been to complain about this race.... Okay, we get it. Steelman is not your race. I'm sure they won't suffer too much if you decide to skip it next year. All the more room for those of us who DO enjoy the race. Every race location has it's challenges. If you don't like the particular challenges of this race, then that's fine - don't do it again. But I will say it again - it sure looks like to me that you opened a new user account on this site JUST so you could complain about this race, which is a) not cool; and b) makes me suspicious of your motives.....

I have been doing races for a very long time  and I have never so much as left a negative comment .......and I probably won't again.  This race really pissed me off.  I am new to the area and I research the races carefully to try to figure out which races are the good ones.  This is not a good race. What is "not cool" is over-inflating the race and charging people $125 and running a half planned race. 

2011-09-23 1:53 PM
in reply to: #3662111

Tee2078 - 2011-08-27 3:17 PM

Welcome to the area.  Not exactly Jersey flat that's for sure but the locals, including myself,  pretty much consider that a faster rolling hills course...atleast in Bucks Co and surrounding counties.  I haven't done the Steelman in a few years but last time I did it I liked it.  Every year I competed in it the weather was much nicer though. 

I'm looking to do some flat faaaaaaaaaast Oly courses next year.  What do you suggest? 

I thought both the Philly Sprint and Olympic were fairly flat.  They had their moments but, by in large the majority of the route was along the river and extremly flat.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Steelman Triathlon - Sprint Distance : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 3