General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many vegans out there? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2012-05-22 12:12 PM
in reply to: #4221567

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: How many vegans out there?

wrkinprogress - 2012-05-21 7:06 PM Thanks for the cool thread and helpful posts, everyone! Am currently an omnivore, but will be trying veganism this summer when I'm teaching abroad for 5 weeks-- seemed an ideal time to try it, as I won't have to clear out a fridge beforehand! I'm waiting for Jurek's book to come out next month; any other awesome cookbooks or resource books people can recommend?

I find the internet to be a good resource.  I like this website below and if I were you I would make these burgers right away.  I usually add a little more cayenne and I think the wetter the mix the better. 

http://www.savvyvegetarian.com/vegetarian-recipes/black-bean-veggie-burgers.php

2012-06-14 10:34 AM
in reply to: #3598542

User image

Ann Arbor

I would love to have more "go vegan" or something similar on my race kits, but there's few things in the USA. Right now, I have an Organic Athlete kit, but I'd prefer something simpler, and faster. 

Anyone have leads?

2012-06-14 10:58 AM
in reply to: #4261497

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
xrodolfox - 2012-06-14 10:34 AM

I would love to have more "go vegan" or something similar on my race kits, but there's few things in the USA. Right now, I have an Organic Athlete kit, but I'd prefer something simpler, and faster. 

Anyone have leads?

Here are some "No Meat Athlete" items http://store.nomeatathlete.com/

I swear I've seen this stuff in the form of a tri or cycling jersey but don't see it in their store right now.

2012-06-19 6:36 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I've seen those before. 
But alas, I've never seen a tr-kit. That's the part that's missing.  
2012-06-27 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
New York

Love love love Post Punk Kitchen (the blogger is the author of Veganomicon mentioned above and several other awesome vegan cookbooks -- brunch, cookies, cupcakes...not exactly all health food, but it's delicious!). She's coming out with another cookbook next year featuring easy weeknight vegan recipes from scratch.

Anyway. Lots of great recipes on the site to help you make delicious vegan food!

http://www.theppk.com/

My bf and I are experimenting with vegan cheese making. It's crazy and weird and a lot of fun. Being vegan can be a bit of an adventure -- I don't necessarily recommend it for first timers, but we did make an amazing spinach cheese ravioli with a sage mushroom white wine sauce. Totally utterly vegan. I even made the ravioli from scratch! Anyway. That might be a bit much, but I have however, discovered an excellent cheese alternative for mac'n'cheese that's pretty darn simple:

Ingredients:

1 package of macaroni or pasta of choice

1-2 Tbsp butter substitute (Earth balance works well)

2 Tbsp nutritional yeast (I use Braggs, but there are other brands -- http://bragg.com/products/yeast.html-- bonus, it's fortified with vitamin B!)

1/2 c. milk (I use unsweetened soy milk, but you could probably use coconut or almond or rice and get similar results -- unsweetened milk does work best, though)

Half a package of shredded Daiya cheese (I use a combo of cheddar and pepperjack -- http://www.daiyafoods.com/our-products)

saltand pepper to taste

2 tsp ground nutmeg

Directions

Prepare pasta as according to package. Set aside.

In a heavy sauce pan, melt the butter. Keep heat on medium low. Add the nutritional yeast and stir until it's absorbed and becomes pasty, like a roux. Add milk, stir until smooth. It can simmer, but don't allow to come to a full boil. Add cheese and stir until fully melted. Add nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste.

Combine pasta and cheese sauce. Serve with a side of steamed broccoli.

Enjoy!

Anyone have any fun vegan recipes to share?

2012-07-07 11:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
glad i found this thread..  just finished a month of no meat.  oddest part was no eggs..  i use to eat alot of eggs.  read finding ultra and was curious if i could give up meat for 2 weeks and it was easier than i thought so i stretched it to a month.  read (well listened actually, audiobook) the china study over the last 30 days and just saw forks over knives to keep me motivated.  funny thing happened today, my gf finally wanted to see forks over knives and it peaked her curiousity..  she started to read a sample of the china study.  i promised her that i would try my best to not let my experiment affect her but if she hops onboard, this may actually stick.  im extending my experiment another 2 weeks...

2012-07-08 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4299592

User image

Hi all,

I've been a vegetarian - not a vegan - for many years, and have been a devoted marathoner and occasional triathlete following a vegetarian diet including eggs and dairy products. But I wanted to add my two cents because of some changes I've made in my diet this past year that appear to have improved my times substantially. My experience may be of particular interest to women in my age category - that is, veteran and older!

These diet changes were in response to some bone loss since I turned 50 (I'm now 56). Having read that a low acid-producing diet might slow bone loss - an unproven theory, but one I was interested in testing - I eliminated as many highly acid-producing foods as possible. The most important of these are: refined sugar and artificial sweeteners, and wheat products. That is, NO "fun food" - no pastries, ice cream, no regular pasta. My carb intake now consists essentially of non-wheat sources (potatoes and sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, millet), and fresh and dried fruits, applesauce, and nuts - mainly almonds - are my snack foods. As always, lots and lots of fresh veggies. Meantime, a good sports nutritionist told me to increase my protein intake, also in response to bone loss. Nuts and legumes are now one of my main protein sources; soy is unfortunately acid-producing, but I have kept it in my repertoire, mostly in the form of tempeh (high protein, less acid-producing than tofu). I continue to consume milk products, despite their being acid-producing, because they are a great protein source. I eat lots of greek yogurt, for instance.

So the upshot of all this: I do not yet know whether any of it has had an effect on my bones. But without ANY other changes to my training, my running has improved dramatically. In these twilight years, I had gradually slowed down and, like all of us over-the-hill folks, took it for granted given my age. Now that I am following this new eating regime, however, I am running times comparable to what I ran in my 30s and 40s: 9 minutes better in the half marathon, and a whopping 23 minutes better in the marathon. It may be a combination of the reduced acid and extra protein - or perhaps none of the above - but whatever is going on, I feel fantastic.

2012-07-08 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wahiawa, Hawaii.... but now in Florence, KY..
Do you guys use protein powders and if so, what kind?
2012-07-08 7:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Casa Grande, Az.
I use Pro-96 Super Green Soy Vanilla Bean from Nature's life..it's good stuff!
2012-07-08 8:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Hopkinton MA

I'm so glad to find this thread!!  I have been eating a mostly whole-food, vegan diet for about 6 weeks and my cholesterol has come down from 260 to 197.  I'm 42 y.o. and at a good weight/BMI, and training 5-6 days/week, so I was frustrated and frankly scared by my high cholesterol and borderline-high blood pressure this spriong. I'm encouraged by the improvement so far.  It's been easy to get enough protein and fats.  I'm having a hard time giving up the highly-processed power bars, protein bars, Gu, etc, but am reading about options and determined to clean up my diet further (reduce or eliminate wheat/gluten, soy ?).  I like many of the recipes in E2 (Esselstyn), and http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/   

Thanks for sharing your stories - it's a great encouragement!

2012-07-09 9:30 AM
in reply to: #4299862

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Boom808 - 2012-07-08 11:39 AM Do you guys use protein powders and if so, what kind?

Hemp protein and Vega

2012-07-16 4:03 PM

User image

Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
I'm currently a raw food vegan. I uses raw hemp protein powder for my smoothies. The energy I've gain since going raw has been amazing! I sleep less, feel more rested when I awake and can feel my endurance getting better and better every day. I'll probably stay raw for at least another couple months and then get back into more cooked vegan food in the winter when it's harder to get fresh produce.
2012-07-17 1:13 AM

User image

Regular
Abbotsford BC, Canada

My ideal is low fat raw vegan but I can't do it for the whole day, usually good until early afternoon. Almost every morning is a green smoothie with bananas, apple (organic a must here), Vega powder Vanilla Chai, absolute MUST for flavor), water, ice, spinach (or kale etc.), organic baby carrots (cheap at Costco), Skinny B for chia seeds etc. and a bit of Flax Oil for Omega 3 and 6.

The above tastes like a mikshake because if the Vanilla Chai Vega powder. I always loved milkshakes.

The only milk I drink (because it's the only one I like in tea) is Ryza Rice Milk. I used to drink a quart of Skim Milk a day. 

Most of my cooking is in the crockpot with lentils, vegatables (lots), beans that kind of thing. Feel exceptional and weight loss much easier than other type of eating I've tried (but I do use cronometer to watch calories and nutrition).

Last week I started the eat-stop-eat system ( 2-24 hour fast per week but no 1 day without food) and so far I am very impressed. It's early days and we will see but so far this feels as dramatic as when I started experimenting with LFRV (low fat raw vegan).

Eating and short-fasting this way and really never feeling hungry. Nice.

Edited by raveon 2012-07-17 1:26 AM
2012-07-23 11:17 AM
in reply to: #4315201

User image

Veteran
STATESBORO, GA
hello all.  I have recently started eating a lot more veggies in smoothies etc.  I am still eating meat etc.  I switched to a whole food diet about 2 months ago.  All has been wonderful until the last 2-3 weeks.  A lot of gi issues and the days of normal stool without pepto are becoming a past memory.  Any suggestion or ideas how things could go so good then these issues this late.  i do not think it is a bacteria etc as I dont really feel bad and have a pretty good appetite.  I had a friend suggest I switch out my greens in the morning smootie as I was using kale for so long.  However, I had no issues for a month or more.   I usualy have a gut of steel.  No matter what I eat I am good.  This intermittant gi issue is starting to get old though.
2012-07-23 7:41 PM
in reply to: #4325552

User image

Fayetteville/Fort Bragg
I've been eating vegan for the last two weeks now and I've felt great, but my concern is that I've also developed gas... And ideas on naturals gas reduction methods?
2012-07-26 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4326851

User image

Expert
Leicester
NBennett86 - 2012-07-24 1:41 AM

I've been eating vegan for the last two weeks now and I've felt great, but my concern is that I've also developed gas... And ideas on naturals gas reduction methods?

major changes in diet can have this effect, if your friends love you they will deal with it!

I am a vegetarian for over 20 years, but a a convert to the plant based diet for only the last 6 months.
I throw out big kudos to those folks that are truly vegan, but also to those folks like me that find it difficult to remove those last aspects of animal by-products from their lives.
I guess coming from the ethical side of vegetarianism, dietary veganism is acheivable, but I've always thought the term 'vegan' was including the ethical side and hence rejecting all use of animal by-products, no leather car interiors and animal tested products etc.

Anyway, as veg/vegans we contribute less to the worlds polution, we usually promote local/fresh/organic/healthy produce and we are strong athletes, hooray for our lifestyle choice!

2012-08-20 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Louisville
I know I'm behind the times but I'm so glad to have just found this thread! I'm a vegetarian (about 3 years) or as someone once called me, a honey eating vegan. I do still eat cheese occasionally and use honey as it helps with my allergies so I don't have to take medication so I'm not a vegan. Anyhow, just wanted to pop in and say hello!
2012-08-31 5:22 PM
in reply to: #4332322

User image

Expert
New York

alex jb - 2012-07-26 3:43 PM
NBennett86 - 2012-07-24 1:41 AM I've been eating vegan for the last two weeks now and I've felt great, but my concern is that I've also developed gas... And ideas on naturals gas reduction methods?
major changes in diet can have this effect, if your friends love you they will deal with it! I am a vegetarian for over 20 years, but a a convert to the plant based diet for only the last 6 months. I throw out big kudos to those folks that are truly vegan, but also to those folks like me that find it difficult to remove those last aspects of animal by-products from their lives. I guess coming from the ethical side of vegetarianism, dietary veganism is acheivable, but I've always thought the term 'vegan' was including the ethical side and hence rejecting all use of animal by-products, no leather car interiors and animal tested products etc. Anyway, as veg/vegans we contribute less to the worlds polution, we usually promote local/fresh/organic/healthy produce and we are strong athletes, hooray for our lifestyle choice!

While it's true that there are differing degrees of veganism (and very different reasons -- some people do it for their health, their diet, their ethics, for the environment, for money issues) all of them are valid. I hate the idea that anyone has a monopoly on the phrase. I think every little bit helps and I would never fault someone for doing the best they could to reduce harm, even if that meant someone who loved bacon signing onto Meatless Mondays.

Personally I still own leather goods from my pre-vegetarian days, but I haven't purchased new ones since (you'd be amazed what the clothing industry is able to fake in shoes these days!). However, a lot of people ask me why I don't throw those things out, and my response is that it wouldn't reduce harm, it would serve no purpose in my personal reasons for being vegan. But some people think that makes me less of a vegan.

I also think it's astoundingly difficult to be purely vegan in everything. I was outraged a few months ago when I found out regular sugar isn't vegan because it's often refined using animal bone char (seriously??). The more I learn about what goes into making everyday products I consume, the more horrified I get -- and the more things become off-limits. lol. 

I think the best part of being vegan is taking ownership in what I participate in, in knowing what practices my money endorses. Sure, it can be annoying sometimes, but overall it's very empowering. 

Anyway, that's a long way of saying everything you do, even if it's tiny, makes an impact somewhere. 

2012-10-09 5:56 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I'm a vegan for primarily ethical reasons and I've done this for over half of my 35 years of life. I don't have leather, silk, wool, etc. in my life. Same for my wife and kids (vegan from before birth).

That said, it is possible and easy to do. It just takes time. Bone char sugar, for example, is easily avoided if you get Michigan beet sugar (yay local!). Around me, it's everywhere, but I'm in Michigan. The rest just takes time to figs re out, but once you get into the habit, it's easy. Things like razors or bike tires and and the other things needed to fully enjoy life take some learning. For example, most Michilen brand tires aren't vegan, but Vittoria tires are. Guess which my TT bike has? It just takes time and it's fine to make mistakes as long as you don't quit.

Also, I'm glad that folks are vegan for whatever reason; health, environment, politics, animal rights, what have you. It's a big tent and there's plenty of room.
2012-10-14 7:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.
Vegan here too.
Typical day for me is:

Breakfast - a green smoothie (kale, spinach, collard greens, mushrooms, banana, frozen fruit, hemp protein, chia and flax)

Lunch - Salad with beans/ quinoa.

Dinner - Soup and veggies.
2012-10-22 6:08 PM
in reply to: #4453439

User image

Ann Arbor

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-10-14 8:26 PM Vegan here too.
Typical day for me is:

Breakfast - a green smoothie (kale, spinach, collard greens, mushrooms, banana, frozen fruit, hemp protein, chia and flax)

Wow. You eat in a day what I eat for breakfast.

Breakfast 3 bowls of cereal with soymilk + two bananas + lots of water

snack: three apples with peanut butter (1/4 cup?) + lots of water

Lunch: two tofu sandwiches with lettuce tomato veganaise and avocado, + a LARGE salad with artichokes and spinach and garbanzos and peas and nuts, + dessert (I'll take a slice of pie)

Snack: a small bean/rice burrito

Dinner: Two plates of WW Pasta with red sauce and soy ice cream for dessert!

And more water. 

I eat less for snacks when I'm not training. 

2012-10-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: #4446128

User image

Extreme Veteran
W. Michigan

"Things like razors or bike tires and and the other things needed to fully enjoy life take some learning."

Ok, I need some education here, what makes a razor non-vegan?

2012-10-23 4:48 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
Animal testing
2012-10-23 7:22 PM
in reply to: #4464288

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
xrodolfox - 2012-10-22 5:08 PM

cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-10-14 8:26 PM Vegan here too.
Typical day for me is:

Wow. You eat in a day what I eat for breakfast.

Breakfast 3 bowls of cereal with soymilk + two bananas + lots of water

snack: three apples with peanut butter (1/4 cup?) + lots of water

Lunch: two tofu sandwiches with lettuce tomato veganaise and avocado, + a LARGE salad with artichokes and spinach and garbanzos and peas and nuts, + dessert (I'll take a slice of pie)

Snack: a small bean/rice burrito

Dinner: Two plates of WW Pasta with red sauce and soy ice cream for dessert!

And more water. 

I eat less for snacks when I'm not training. 

How many calories does that work out to in a day?  Are calories from those lower in fat that calories from animal-based foods?  I guess what I mean is- eating that much- don't you put on weight?

2012-10-24 8:08 AM

User image

Ann Arbor
I've always had to eat a lot to maintain my weight, even before I went vegan.

This is what I eat when I'm training hard to maintain weight now. To be clear, I'm not stick thin, and I've never been. I've got a water polo swimmers build. I've only gained 5lbs from the average when I was an omnivore athlete during college to a vegan athlete 17 years later.

Some years I'm less than my college average, and some years I'm 15 over, but mostly I weigh 5 more than in college.

So I guess I've gained weight, but it could just be muscle. My old pants still fit!

Since most of what I eat isn't calorie dense, everyday is a food party. Being vegan has been delicious, fun, and simple.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » How many vegans out there? Rss Feed  

of 4