General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2011-07-15 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course : Official Thread

This is my "A" race of the season; my first OLY. Since there are no race reports available to creep...who has done this race previously?  Any tips?  Share you thoughts and ideas about this race, I am always interested in learning since this is my first year in the tri-life.

2011-07-15 6:47 PM
in reply to: #3598945

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course : Official Thread
I did the sprint last year, and will be doing the sprint again this year. Not sure how they are doing the swim, but be wary of the stairs on the way out (sharp rocks on the sides and the stairs in the middle) can be congested. On the bike, there is a bridge you have to go over like right out of T1, and before that are some railroad tracks where  saw some people eat it pretty bad. The run for the sprint was flat like stated. Good luck with it, and have fun cause it is a well run race.
2011-07-21 1:08 PM

User image

New user

It's the first time for the Olympic distance so we will all find out shortly.. Good luck!! KC
2011-08-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: #3599001

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

spjon25 - 2011-07-15 6:47 PM I did the sprint last year, and will be doing the sprint again this year. Not sure how they are doing the swim, but be wary of the stairs on the way out (sharp rocks on the sides and the stairs in the middle) can be congested. On the bike, there is a bridge you have to go over like right out of T1, and before that are some railroad tracks where  saw some people eat it pretty bad. The run for the sprint was flat like stated. Good luck with it, and have fun cause it is a well run race.

Thanks for the info...I will be in San Diego a few days prior to the race and plan on riding the route.  I am fairly new to tri'ing so I have no plans for any land speed records but hoping to complete my first OLY.  Have you done the Classic? 

2011-08-07 11:57 PM

User image

Veteran
I did the Sprint last year. Just a hint for riding prior to the race. Much of the course is closed off since about half of the course is on an active navy base. The run course is open since it starts behind the convention center and runs down the path to the Midway for the sprint. I had a blast at this race last year, and look forward to the same this year.
2011-08-12 12:26 AM

Are the majority of competitors wearing wet suits for the swim?

2011-08-12 4:07 AM

User image

Veteran
From last year, about 80% I would say. Many in the Open Military did not, but they were booking on the course too
2011-08-21 1:17 AM
in reply to: #3633304

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
spjon25 - 2011-08-07 11:57 PM I did the Sprint last year. Just a hint for riding prior to the race. Much of the course is closed off since about half of the course is on an active navy base. The run course is open since it starts behind the convention center and runs down the path to the Midway for the sprint. I had a blast at this race last year, and look forward to the same this year.
 Can't wait to be back in So Cal and really looking forward to this race...they cheer the loudest for the last one right?  WinkI do have a mil ID so I can get on base but its been awhie since I have been to 32nd street base.  Not my favorite base in the world. So I may just cruise the route and will for sure check out the stairs!  I biffed it on my bike today for the first time, nothing but a flesh wound but I do want to be prepared for those tracks.  Your insight has been extremely helpful, thank you.

Edited by SportzVision 2011-08-21 1:25 AM
2011-08-22 3:50 PM

New user

Is the Bike distance the true Olympic distance (24.8  miles) or is it just 20 miles? According to the website it's 20 miles but they are calling this an "Olympic distance" triathlon so I'm confused...
2011-08-26 2:22 AM

User image

Veteran
I think they are calling it an Olympic distance because it is double the Sprint. 
2011-08-27 8:01 PM
in reply to: #3640406

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
dbake - 2011-08-12 12:26 AM

Are the majority of competitors wearing wet suits for the swim?

Any suggestions where to rent a swimming wetsuit in San Diego? 

2011-08-27 9:39 PM
in reply to: #3662331

User image

Veteran
Maybe call Nytro, or call Xterra is what I would say
2011-08-29 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3662399

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
spjon25 - 2011-08-27 9:39 PM Maybe call Nytro, or call Xterra is what I would say
 Will do, I have a place here in Reno but I am staying for about two weeks and don't want to rent that long or pack it.
2011-08-31 11:21 AM
in reply to: #3664713

Xterra rents wetsuits but Nytro does not, Nytro does rent bikes both road and tri models. The water temp last year was really cold due to a crappy summer. This year the water is at least 6-8 degrees warmer and around 70-72 degrees today. I wore a wetsuit last year but Im going to try to avoid it this year as the swim is really short.

The bike is a little scary as the roads are not well maintained in the beginning/end. The base part is nice, flat, and fast so people really fly out there. I talked to the race director and he was trying to get the roads worked on for the race but wasn't having much luck. He said he was taking extra precautions about the railroad crossings and other problem areas.

The run is easy and fast the bands could be better but it was okay. There were well stocked aid stations for people who needed them.

This info is all based on the sprint distance however because there was no olympic last year. The course is the same just a longer swim and run, and there is a map on the trirock website.

2011-08-31 11:46 AM
in reply to: #3667431

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
ninedaysbefore - 2011-08-31 11:21 AM

Xterra rents wetsuits but Nytro does not, Nytro does rent bikes both road and tri models. The water temp last year was really cold due to a crappy summer. This year the water is at least 6-8 degrees warmer and around 70-72 degrees today. I wore a wetsuit last year but Im going to try to avoid it this year as the swim is really short.

The bike is a little scary as the roads are not well maintained in the beginning/end. The base part is nice, flat, and fast so people really fly out there. I talked to the race director and he was trying to get the roads worked on for the race but wasn't having much luck. He said he was taking extra precautions about the railroad crossings and other problem areas.

The run is easy and fast the bands could be better but it was okay. There were well stocked aid stations for people who needed them.

This info is all based on the sprint distance however because there was no olympic last year. The course is the same just a longer swim and run, and there is a map on the trirock website.

Oooh thanks for the insight....not sure about the wet suit so I will need to check out the bay in another area...hopefully it won't be to different on the Coronado side or Mission Bay since we can't practice at the Tri site.  The pool here at NAS Fallon keeps the temp at 72 so I just might be okay and the local lake temp is around the same if not cooler.

I am not too fast on the bike so I will just need to stay out of the way...actually, I am not too fast at any of the events but I do manage not to finish last!  Good luck and again, thank you!

Cynthia 

2011-09-03 9:04 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
While playing volleyball this week I rolled my ankle and the top of my foot is injured...heard a lot of grinding and tearing when it happened.  I was suppose to do a Sprint this weekend but that isn't happening; hoping I heal enough to run at the TriRock.  I already have two broken bones in my other foot that require 800mg of motrin once in awhile so we'll see how this goes.  Got the foot up and iced but it looks bad; not as bad as the other foot did when I injured it but bad nonetheless.  If there is no improvement by Tuesday I will see the doc.  Oy Vey! 

2011-09-04 5:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Don't feel bad, I am running the sprint this weekend, and my gout decided to flare up in the middle of the week. I have been doing the whole blueberry, ice, water thing and cut back on the caffeine, but it is still swollen a little. 
2011-09-04 7:04 PM
in reply to: #3672902

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

spjon25 - 2011-09-04 5:10 PM Don't feel bad, I am running the sprint this weekend, and my gout decided to flare up in the middle of the week. I have been doing the whole blueberry, ice, water thing and cut back on the caffeine, but it is still swollen a little. 

Blueberry?  Haven't heard of that one?  I heard gout can be pretty debilitating! Hope your flare up does not last all week and you feel better by this weekend.

Yeah I decided to skip the sprint I had planned to do today to give myself an entire week to heal.  Did a 2300 yd swim today and only some cramping.  Have the foot iced and elavated, then will do a short ride this evening to give it a test.  Still swollen and some serious brusing along the top outside of my foot and the inside under my ankle, but not much pain.

Please share about the blueberry thing? Willing to try anything to help my foot heal..

Edited by SportzVision 2011-09-04 7:07 PM
2011-09-07 12:46 AM

User image

Veteran
YEah, blueberry is supposed to do the same thing as cherry juice (100%pure, not from concentrate) and my local stores were out of cherry juice. Let me tell ya the digestive wonders of 32oz of cherry juice in 24 hours
2011-09-09 10:52 AM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA

Course Change:  Hey all just though I would let everyone know that the course has been changed because of the security threats...we will not be riding onto the base.  The event website has new information.

2011-09-09 10:53 AM

Brawley (Middle of the Desert), CA

Course Change:  Hey all just though I would let everyone know that the course has been changed because of the security threats...we will not be riding onto the base.  The event website has new information.

2011-09-09 3:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Supposedly there is also a possible sewage spill in a feeder into the harbor so there are questions about the swim.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course : Official Thread Rss Feed