Peluso Open Water Swimming
88F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 24m 13s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 50+
Age Group Rank = 6/6
Pre-race routine:

Got to the site and checked in, body marked right off the bat. Hung out while the kayakers were getting instructions. Once the kayakers got in the water he opened it up for a warm up.
Used my rescue inhlaer as precaution.
Event warmup:

I got in to warm up and had planned on swimming to the first little bouy, maybe 150 meters. Got in and found myself exhausted, could not muster endurance. Gave myself a bit of time to breast stroke and swam about 75 meters out and back. Got back to shore and used my rescue inhaler again.
Swim
  • 24m 13s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 57s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started off in the back, I know I am not going to be fast. I'm not a great swimmer, more of a barely average swimmer.
Lost the pack pretty fast, in fact.....by the time I got to the first small bouy about 150 meters out they were well ahead of me. That was okay. My swim mantra was to swim the whole thing with no breast or back stroke and just keep swimming. Thought I was further along, somehow remembered only one little yellow bour but there are two of them with big candy corn turn bouys at the ends. So, when I spotted the second bouy I moved in more thinking I was going to turn and was kind of disappointed that it wasn't the turn bouy.

I did slow a couple times to site better, but I kept swimming freestyle which was my goal. Just as I hit the turn around bouy there was a good bit of glare, but not horrible and it was only a short time to deal with it. Made my turn and came back with the current. Once again the kayaks were kind of shadowing me, thought I was DFL.

No one needed to prompt me on navigation, I was keeping an eye out for where my shadow kayaks were as well as the bouys. Made my final turn in and swam until I hit the rocks with my hands. Ran up the boat ramp and was happy to see a 3 minute improvement since the last race. Surprised there was someone else in the water after me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much I could do differently, I seem to have lost endurance. I get tired easily in the water I swam the whole thing without any back or breast stroking which met my goal.
Post race
Warm down:

After running up the ramp and turning in my chip I grabbed my inhaler, but never needed it. Had some water, a couple pieces of pineapple and a cookie.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I seem to have lost endurance in the water.
I am a slow swimmer on a good day.

Event comments:

The neighborhood association with the river access rights is not going to allow us to continue using the venue. It's disappointing......but he is working on other venues for these races with a possible change in day of the week to Saturday mornings.

Last updated: 2011-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:13 | 820 yards | 02m 57s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/6
Overall: 49/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: straight out and back 375 meters
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average