General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2011-07-25 8:42 AM
in reply to: #3599396

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread

So,

I really enjoyed the sprint and had a great time.  I loved the bike course and the run was nice.  Here's the question, did anyone do it with a Garmin and know what the swim, bike and run actual distances were?  If you did and could post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2011-07-25 9:52 AM
in reply to: #3613076

User image

Master
, Minnesota

No garmin, due to navigation in the fog, my swim was definitely long!

Bike seemed long as the 56 mi mark was hit when I turned left onto the bike path.

MNGopher - 2011-07-25 8:42 AM

So,

I really enjoyed the sprint and had a great time.  I loved the bike course and the run was nice.  Here's the question, did anyone do it with a Garmin and know what the swim, bike and run actual distances were?  If you did and could post I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

2011-07-25 10:55 AM

New user

Both swim and bike were long.  I got .33 miles for the swim (I might have the beach on that distance cuz I can't recall how early I hit mine for T1

The bike was 25 miles (road the course twice, and both times came out slightly over 25 miles).

I forgot to check the run, as it has been the same the past 4 years, which is the only constant year to year for this race.

I had a better race then I expected.  Still recovering, stood at U2 for 6 hrs, and less then 4 hrs of sleep, I feel like my race was really good.  I've gotten used to the course and transition being crowded, so I just went with it this year and I passed wider on the bike.

2011-07-25 12:12 PM
in reply to: #3613354

User image

Regular
Minnesota
I compared data with a few others for the bike--it was certainly over 25---between 25.1 and 25.3.  No one had data for the swim, but I could doggy-paddle 1/4 mile faster than the split they recorded! Why can't the organizers get the distances right? It seems like that's really what the point of racing is--knowing what you can do in a race of xyz distance.
2011-07-25 12:41 PM
in reply to: #3613565

User image

Elite
ewengler - 2011-07-25 12:12 PMI compared data with a few others for the bike--it was certainly over 25---between 25.1 and 25.3.  No one had data for the swim, but I could doggy-paddle 1/4 mile faster than the split they recorded! Why can't the organizers get the distances right? It seems like that's really what the point of racing is--knowing what you can do in a race of xyz distance.
I agree with getting distances right, or at least the same from year to year. One argument people have is that everyone does the same distance so it doesn't matter. My counter argument is I am not racing against everyone else. Ultimately, I am racing against the person I was the last time I raced the same race, I am my biggest competitor. That said, I would hate to be a race organizer. It has to be an incredibly tough job and I am grateful fornwhat they do.
2011-07-25 3:28 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago
My swim time was much longer than I expected.  The bike course was great - I got over 25 on my trip.  It was a fun first one.

2011-07-26 9:02 AM

User image

New user
Just chiming in to confirm -- the sprint bike was definitely 25+ miles.  Both my wife and I came up a shade over 25 on a GPS and a bike computer.  But the pace times on the results seem to be calculating for a 24 mile course, so you went faster than you think you did.
2011-07-26 10:50 AM

User image

Regular
Woodbury
I'll add my name to the list that think the swim was long. But without adding boring detail, I was lined up at the back of my wave and I'm a decent swimmer, so who knows.

My buddy's Garmin confirmed the reports of others on the bike - just over 25 miles.

I used gmap-pedometer as accurately as possible (satellite view) and the run is pretty darn close to a true 5k.

While waiting for my wave, I made the mistake of commenting out loud "The swim is a blank slate, how come they can't get the distances right?". The woman next to me says, "Have you ever set buoys before?" I decided to shut up and defer to her experience - apparently they can move quite a bit.

Great race overall, good course marking and volunteers, awesome weather...with two large-field races, the huge transition area spread out on a hill was confusing - had to dive under a rack when I ended up on the wrong side running in. That's about all I can whine about.

2011-07-26 9:09 PM
in reply to: #3615208

User image

Regular
Minnesota

Git-tRi-Done - 2011-07-26 10:50 AM  While waiting for my wave, I made the mistake of commenting out loud "The swim is a blank slate, how come they can't get the distances right?". The woman next to me says, "Have you ever set buoys before?" I decided to shut up and defer to her experience - apparently they can move quite a bit.  

Fair enough.

2011-07-26 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3615208

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)

Git-tRi-Done - 2011-07-26 10:50 AM I'll add my name to the list that think the swim was long. But without adding boring detail, I was lined up at the back of my wave and I'm a decent swimmer, so who knows. My buddy's Garmin confirmed the reports of others on the bike - just over 25 miles. I used gmap-pedometer as accurately as possible (satellite view) and the run is pretty darn close to a true 5k. While waiting for my wave, I made the mistake of commenting out loud "The swim is a blank slate, how come they can't get the distances right?". The woman next to me says, "Have you ever set buoys before?" I decided to shut up and defer to her experience - apparently they can move quite a bit. Great race overall, good course marking and volunteers, awesome weather...with two large-field races, the huge transition area spread out on a hill was confusing - had to dive under a rack when I ended up on the wrong side running in. That's about all I can whine about.

Hey, that was me. Sorry if I came off like a beeaotch. One thing that did make me a little unhappy was how the RD *insisted* that she would have those buoys in a perfect line even if they got out of line overnight. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Anyway, nice chatting with you, Git-tri-done!

2011-07-27 3:23 AM

User image

Bronze member
swim was long, you can see by the times. I'd say about 550 yards. it isnt hard to set buoy's. i do it at my lake with a garmin. They always run the swim long. Bike was 25. i dont see why they can not get the distances right and if anything be a bit short, not long......i had a good time though and it was a great day. see ya all around.

2011-07-27 4:44 PM
in reply to: #3616219

User image

Regular
Woodbury
rowdypaint - 2011-07-26 9:25 PM

Hey, that was me. Sorry if I came off like a beeaotch. One thing that did make me a little unhappy was how the RD *insisted* that she would have those buoys in a perfect line even if they got out of line overnight. Sadly, that didn't happen.

Anyway, nice chatting with you, Git-tri-done!

You were fine and pleasant in your response, rowdypaint. Just thought maybe I had put my foot in my mouth a bit - happens to me from time to time! Nice to speak with you as well. Hope your husband had a good race.

And I agree with Mark. Just advertise the bike and run accurately at a minimum. I did one a few years ago that was published as an 18 mile bike, and in reality barely tapped 16. It can't be that hard (there I go again).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2