Preble County Youth Foundation
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 29m 10s
Overall Rank = 31/75
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/13
Pre-race routine:

Well, being my first triathlon, didn't have an exact plan. Up about 5:00 am. Didn't sleep too bad. Had some yogurt and a Diet Dew. Made an english muffin w/peanut butter to take along for the 1 hr drive. Had everything packed and ready go the night before. Tried to relax during the drive. Got to the site close to the 6:45 start of registration. Everything was close and convienient, so I had some time to kill before the 8:00 start.
Event warmup:

Mainly just walked around. Did a little jogging. Drank some Gatorade in the last 20 minutes before the start. Tried to stay relaxed.
Swim
  • 11m 59s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really worried about the swim. I am not a good swimmer! Goal was to not drown, and if possible, swim the entire length without stopping. Well, accomplished both of those. My technique was not the best. I wanted to bilateral breath as much as possible, but ended up breathing to my right almost exclusively, which worked out ok since the bouys were on the right, making keeping my track straight a little easier. Got a little tired about the 1/2 way point, but told myself to just keep going. Bumped a few people during the swim, but not bad. Was very glad to see the end of the swim approaching.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim! Also practice sighting a little so I don't come to a stop when I look up to see where I am going.
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

With a little practice, could take some time off this. Just tried to relax, take it easy, and not forget something for the bike portion.

Maybe not wear socks with tri shoes on bike?
Bike
  • 46m
  • 13 miles
  • 16.96 mile/hr
Comments:

Did not have my Garmin on the bike, so just rode by feel. There were more hills than I was used to, some kind of steep, but none with very long slopes.

Need more training on hills. Also some more endurance and power training on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 01m 23s
Comments:

OK overall. A little clumsy getting off the bike.

Practice transition and getting off and on the bike smoother.
Run
  • 26m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs felt pretty tired when I started, but I expected that based on the brick training I had done. Usually improves after the first 1/2 mile or so. Started slow, but my legs never really recovered. Just keep pushing along. Told myself "NO WALKING"! And I didn't.

Maybe a little more brick training.
Post race
Warm down:

A little walking along with water and some snacks. Sat in the shade a little waiting for the results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Happy with my performance, but additional training in all three events would improve my time.

Event comments:

The first year for this race. Overall very well run. Speedy-Feet did a good job, as usual. Also lots of helpfull volunteers. The only things that would have made the event even better would have been more participants and some spectators along the course to cheer everyone along. Will definately do this race again if they have it next year. Weather was also great for this time of year. My first triathlon is now history; with a lot of time in the pool, on the bike, and on the road to get to this point. Many times during the past year I didn't think I would ever be able to complete even a sprint distance triathlon. It feels good to have accomplished what I set out to do. Maybe I will take a couple days off! Maybe not. 5K tomorrow morning in North Star and then back to training for the Air Force Marathon in September.

Last updated: 2011-07-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:59 | 500 yards | 02m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 32/75
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri shorts
Course: A small lake. Smooth water; pretty clean. Jumped off a dock at the boat ramp to start. Swam along a row of bouys, made a u turn, and swam back along the opposite side of the bouys. Ran up the boat launch ramp to exit. Overall a good place for a tri swim.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:15
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:46:00 | 13 miles | 16.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 29/75
Wind: Little
Course: Pretty good. Very little traffic. Well marked. One difficult spot where you had to go over an old bridge, which had a wooden deck with a rough surface, and then had to make two sharp turns while going down hill. Kind of a scary spot on the course. Otherwise very safe.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:23
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:33 | 03.11 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/13
Overall: 30/75
Performance: Below average
Course: Pretty flat course with a few small hills. Not much traffic.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes